Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

30 amp dryer outlet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are getting our first Tesla this month! We have a 30amp (240v) dryer outlet in our garage, that we had installed when we built the house a couple of years ago. It's never been used. I have ordered the Nema 14-30 adapter. Is this all I should need? Do I need to set anything on the car for the voltage/outlet or do I just plug in?
Sorry for the noob question, but I don't want to blow up the house or the car!!

Just for your own peace of mind - double-check the fuse rating on the circuit for your dryer, and if it looks a bit old/indifferent, replace the fuse - and also label the thing for what it’s used for in case anyone decides to play around nearby with home works etc.

After a year with my MS and installing a NEMA-14-50 outlet, then upgrading to the HPWC, I have come to the conclusion that my pre-existing 30 amp dryer outlet and the included mobile charger would have sufficed. Instead of charging for an hour or two while I sleep each night it would have charged two or three hours. Would I have noticed? The HPWC looks good though...

Just got my Gen 3 unite installed this morning.

Attachments

• IMG_20200619_130634.jpg
    IMG_20200619_130634.jpg
    305.3 KB · Views: 126
True, but I used to have a plug-in Prius that my daughter now drives. She comes to visit once in a while, so I still need a J1772. I typically charge at work (anyone remember when we used go to work?).

OK, two options:
1) instead of hardwiring the Chargepoint, put it on a 14-30 plug, and plug that into the socket
2) Put in an A/B switch so that either the 14-30 socket has power or the Chargepoint has power.

or just continue with what you have. :)