Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

30 Day Autopilot Trial Confirmed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anybody know if this is something that can be activated in the future?

My car qualifies, I believe, (Sept. 2014 build, non-tech package, AP hardware and safety features now)

I'd like to save the trial month for a road trip in the future. Do I have to do it when prompted or can I wait?

Does anybody know if this is something that can be activated in the future?

My car qualifies, I believe, (Sept. 2014 build, non-tech package, AP hardware and safety features now)

I'd like to save the trial month for a road trip in the future. Do I have to do it when prompted or can I wait?

This I can't totally answer. The two choices were to start the trial or "skip." Not sure if skipping would just delete the offer.

I don't think Tesla will do EAP but i strongly think they will give FSD trials to push that when it's ready.

My bet is they'll do it once EAP is ready.

It's one of those game changers once a person experience it.

For those of us in North America we constantly deal with idiots who won't get out of our way. So with EAP the car will take care of trying to get around the idiots so we don't have to bother with it. Or to move over so we don't feel like the idiot.

All a person has to do is experience that on one road trip, and they'll be sold on the package.

My bet is they'll do it once EAP is ready.

It's one of those game changers once a person experience it.

For those of us in North America we constantly deal with idiots who won't get out of our way. So with EAP the car will take care of trying to get around the idiots so we don't have to bother with it. Or to move over so we don't feel like the idiot.

All a person has to do is experience that on one road trip, and they'll be sold on the package.
If you are more relaxed on a trip using AP, that means you are paying less attention, which means you are increasing your risk of an accident. As per Tesla's own instructions, you are supposed to pay very close attention to what it's doing and be ready to take over at split second notice. So, can you not pay attention, sure, you can even drive a mile or two completely blind-folded and not get into an accident, but is that really such a good idea? I guess that is a per person decision (good for whom).

If you are more relaxed on a trip using AP, that means you are paying less attention, which means you are increasing your risk of an accident. As per Tesla's own instructions, you are supposed to pay very close attention to what it's doing and be ready to take over at split second notice. So, can you not pay attention, sure, you can even drive a mile or two completely blind-folded and not get into an accident, but is that really such a good idea? I guess that is a per person decision (good for whom).

This very much does come down to a per person decision. In my experience I lost too much situational awareness with AP, and that AP simply wasn't good enough to overcome the loss in situational awareness. It was this reason, and a lack of a trust when it came to truck lust that I largely stopped using it. These days I mostly use TACC, and I feel like it's safer than not using it. I don't lose situational awareness, and the following distances with TACC are larger than I'd normally use (to give me time to intervene if I don't like how it's reacting).

With EAP I'd go through the same process. My expectations is the system would be so good that it would be technically a level 3 system on the freeway. Whether they could claim that or if it was legally allowed is another thing entirely.

Reactions: whitex
This very much does come down to a per person decision. In my experience I lost too much situational awareness with AP, and that AP simply wasn't good enough to overcome the loss in situational awareness. It was this reason, and a lack of a trust when it came to truck lust that I largely stopped using it. These days I mostly use TACC, and I feel like it's safer than not using it. I don't lose situational awareness, and the following distances with TACC are larger than I'd normally use (to give me time to intervene if I don't like how it's reacting).

With EAP I'd go through the same process. My expectations is the system would be so good that it would be technically a level 3 system on the freeway. Whether they could claim that or if it was legally allowed is another thing entirely.
Exactly. I have AP1 on my car, but rarely use it. On our AP2 car I specifically didn't pay for EAP/FSD because I worry it would become a hazard. I am waiting for Elon to deliver this on this promise for AP2 cars before writing a check to enable AP2 .
Elon-Summon-2016.png