Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

30 KW at mountain view charger.......

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
Was nearly full today except for the "use last" handicap spot. So I pulled in and plugged in. A group of 5 of us were headed to Country Deli(about a 5 minute walk) to eat lunch. At the normal charge rate, it was going to take me about 15 minutes so I figured I'd run on back and grab the car at about that time so I didn't hold anyone up. The charge rate never went above 30 KW. The estimated charge time was 1 hour. So I didn't rush back. We ended up finishing lunch and walking about to the car which had charged from 50% to 75% during the time we were there. When I got back, the paired stall was empty so it wasn't an issue of priority.

Just FYI incase anyone else experiences slow charging at that stall. It wasn't a big deal for me because I wasn't in a rush and in a weird way worked out better for me anyways. But still, 30 KW?

if (ownerResidenceDistance < 50) {
setMaxCharge(30);
return;
}

Just guessin'

The answer to that is > 130 miles, so you guessed wrong and if you looked just a few inches to your left when reading my post you'd have known that.

Plus if they were intending to throttle in case I was local, it would most likely be in a scenario where I wasn't in a rush and the result would be punishing those waiting since I'd just stay as long as needed to finish charging. If I had instead waited until heading back home and charging in say Fremont, throttling me wouldn't make me move any faster since I'd still need enough to get home but in that case I'd have to wait when I'm in a rush. I was perfectly happy for it to take a long time today because I wasn't in a rush but there was a chance of blocking others. I seriously doubt Tesla would intentionally throttle. It would serve no purpose(and yes I followed the conspiracy threads closely).

BTW, I didn't get the letter. Did you?

When I got back, the paired stall was empty so it wasn't an issue of priority.
Just to clarify, by paired stall you mean you looked for the labeled number, and not just assumed it was the stall next to yours, correct? From the other thread, the paired stall is not necessarily the ones next to each other or even near each other (it can be all the way across the lot).

Just to clarify, by paired stall you mean you looked for the labeled number, and not just assumed it was the stall next to yours, correct? From the other thread, the paired stall is not necessarily the ones next to each other or even near each other (it can be all the way across the lot).

Of course :)

And it sat at 30KW for almost 40 minutes until I finally unplugged it. The paired stall was empty when I got back and all of the cars that were there were ones that arrived after me. So no issue with priority no matter how you slice it.

When I got back, the paired stall was empty so it wasn't an issue of priority.

You were obviously 'paired' at the beginning and it's quite possible, even likely, that the other car left just before you got back; alternatively the other car may have left as yours was tapering.

(Hope you left your phone number on the dash as you had to charge in the handicap stall).

You were obviously 'paired' at the beginning and it's quite possible, even likely, that the other car left just before you got back; alternatively the other car may have left as yours was tapering.

(Hope you left your phone number on the dash as you had to charge in the handicap stall).

It still doesn't fit. The charge rate never went above 30KW. Even in cases where I pull up and am lucky enough to plugin right after the guy who has 20% starts first, I still get more than 30KW to start. When I got back, nobody was in the paired stall and the charge was sitting at 30KW still. It only takes a few seconds after the other guy leaves. Plus I was there for 40 minutes. No amount of charging in the other pair would have resulted not tapering off and me tapering up. It just couldn't happen. Plus at 75%, I'd have more than 30KW at my own taper, so I wasn't yet in the taper curve even with it all to myself.

So either I was being throttled, or more likely that particular stack has some faulty modules in.

My experience with calling Tesla on supercharger issues is that unless you do it while it's happening they just say to call back if it happens again. It was a work meeting and I couldn't really call while sitting with my co-workers while eating.

Same. I took the time to email them from the feeble browser interface (no cell service there for my phone at the time) about a bad unit at Hope, BC, and got a form letter response a day or two later. No effort was made to confirm whether they saw a problem from their end. Last time I bother contacting them.

Wrt the Hope SC, I changed units and voila - from 27KW to 105KW immediately. My SOC was 25%-35%. And nobody had been there shortly before me *rolls eyes*.

My experience with calling Tesla on supercharger issues is that unless you do it while it's happening they just say to call back if it happens again. It was a work meeting and I couldn't really call while sitting with my co-workers while eating.

Last time I called them regarding two of the stalls offline in Springfield, IL, the tech who answered the phone looked at the status, saw that 3B and 4A were not occupied, asked if those were the trouble stalls, looked up previous reports, and let me know that they were scheduled for service that next week. I've found them to be responsive.

Last time I called them regarding two of the stalls offline in Springfield, IL, the tech who answered the phone looked at the status, saw that 3B and 4A were not occupied, asked if those were the trouble stalls, looked up previous reports, and let me know that they were scheduled for service that next week. I've found them to be responsive.

I have too when I've called them the previous 2 or 3 times I've had an issue while it's happening. This was just a rare instance when I couldn't call them at that moment.