TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

30 mile range loss overnight

Discussion in 'Model X: Battery & Charging' started by masam, Feb 4, 2017.

1. masam

masam Member

I almost always keep our 75D plugged into the Wall Connector any time the car is in the garage. However when I left the car I plugged one night, there was a loss of range of almost 30 miles. The temperature had dropped to below 30 at night but this big a drop in range seems excessive. Is this to be expected ? I'm also wondering if the heat in the car comes on at night for pre-conditioning, leading to this loss. Any ideas ?
    Thanks !

2. Khanhvngo

Khanhvngo Member

That big of a drop is not normal, here in Maine my current temp is 5-20 f at night and we lose about 2-5 but 30 is a bit much.

I know that if my keys are close to the car then during night time it keep coming on and off. Try to make sure your keys are far from the car to prevent accidental on and off. Other wise I can't think of logical reason for why your lost 30 so quick.

If you are full at 8 pm and by 6 am you might lose up to 10 for conditioning.! Did it get below zero?

• Informative x 1
  3. masam

masam Member

Thank you very much for that insight ! My keys are indeed very close to the car (within 5 feet actually).
    Time to to move the key rack :)

4. Drone Flyer

Drone Flyer Member

Make sure you turn the heat control button off before you exit. This will help tremendously.

• Informative x 1
  5. xkwizit

xkwizit Member

In your settings make sure you have Power Save checked. You can also turn off preconditioning from the settings. 2-5 miles is the normal expected drain at night. And yeah these are Bluetooth keys and they can correspond with the car 20-25 feet line of sight through the walls. I usually put my car keys in the kitchen but for X, they had to reside in the farthest room from the garage and that too in a metal box.

6. Jurnimon

Jurnimon Member

I've seen a drop of 20 miles when the car is driven for a few hours then parked with out charging at a very low state of charge (less than 20%) while temperatures below 40 in two separate model S's. The car will even warn you about this that if the temperature drops drastically that the car will have "considerably less charge" and recommends that you "charge the car now"

7. Solarman004

Solarman004 Member

This is important if your FOB is too close and the car keeps waking up. When it wakes and climate control is on, then the climate control will power up.
    Like others said, I also keep Always Connected off, and Power Save mode on and lose only 0 or 1 mile per day.

• Helpful x 1
  8. xkwizit

xkwizit Member

@Solarman004 - Always Connected shouldn't impact the drain much. It is only to keep the wifi connection on so the car can communicate with Tesla servers and you can access it via the app.

9. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

Also, if you have configured any web apps (eg. TeslaLog) to collect statistics on your X, it can prevent the vehicle from going into a deep sleep to reduce vampire drain.

10. masam

masam Member

Thanks everyone for the advice. It looks like a combination of keeping the keys near the car and not consistently turning off the climate controls when exiting the car are the most likely causes of the large overnight drop in range.

11. Electric700

Electric700 Active Member

The Energy Saving On and Always Connected unchecked advice is good. You could try that first before turning off the climate controls.

Another thing you could try is Energy Saving On with Always Connected checked, then see what your loss overnight is compared to Energy Saving On with Always Connected unchecked.