Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

30 mile range loss overnight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I almost always keep our 75D plugged into the Wall Connector any time the car is in the garage. However when I left the car I plugged one night, there was a loss of range of almost 30 miles. The temperature had dropped to below 30 at night but this big a drop in range seems excessive. Is this to be expected ? I'm also wondering if the heat in the car comes on at night for pre-conditioning, leading to this loss. Any ideas ?
Thanks !

That big of a drop is not normal, here in Maine my current temp is 5-20 f at night and we lose about 2-5 but 30 is a bit much.

I know that if my keys are close to the car then during night time it keep coming on and off. Try to make sure your keys are far from the car to prevent accidental on and off. Other wise I can't think of logical reason for why your lost 30 so quick.

If you are full at 8 pm and by 6 am you might lose up to 10 for conditioning.! Did it get below zero?

• Informative
Reactions: masam
In your settings make sure you have Power Save checked. You can also turn off preconditioning from the settings. 2-5 miles is the normal expected drain at night. And yeah these are Bluetooth keys and they can correspond with the car 20-25 feet line of sight through the walls. I usually put my car keys in the kitchen but for X, they had to reside in the farthest room from the garage and that too in a metal box.

I've seen a drop of 20 miles when the car is driven for a few hours then parked with out charging at a very low state of charge (less than 20%) while temperatures below 40 in two separate model S's. The car will even warn you about this that if the temperature drops drastically that the car will have "considerably less charge" and recommends that you "charge the car now"

Make sure you turn the heat control button off before you exit. This will help tremendously.
This is important if your FOB is too close and the car keeps waking up. When it wakes and climate control is on, then the climate control will power up.
Like others said, I also keep Always Connected off, and Power Save mode on and lose only 0 or 1 mile per day.

• Helpful
Reactions: Electric700
Thanks everyone for the advice. It looks like a combination of keeping the keys near the car and not consistently turning off the climate controls when exiting the car are the most likely causes of the large overnight drop in range.

Thanks everyone for the advice. It looks like a combination of keeping the keys near the car and not consistently turning off the climate controls when exiting the car are the most likely causes of the large overnight drop in range.

The Energy Saving On and Always Connected unchecked advice is good. You could try that first before turning off the climate controls.

Another thing you could try is Energy Saving On with Always Connected checked, then see what your loss overnight is compared to Energy Saving On with Always Connected unchecked.