Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

30% tint all around, too light, too dark, or just enough for the back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys/gals,

Just setup an appointment to tint my car in the next few days, I agreed on 30% tint all around, and 80% on front windshield. I am not sure if I want darker tint on the back side windows and the back window at 20%, since that's the 2nd lowest option other than 5%, which I don't want since that's too much.

Should I just stick with 30% all around, or should I go with 30% front, and 20% for the back windows? What do you guys think?

I have 35% front side windows and 25% rear side windows. Don't do it. Looks stupid, just go 30% all around or whatever you fancy.
I sort of knew this before and hoped they'd do 35% all around but unfortunately they sort of assumed that I wanted the darkest legal tint I guess...

If you want limo tint look with white interior as you can see 25% is essentially enough, with 35% you can still see a bit inside.

e97cc17d-c9f3-49e9-84dc-4dc53019a3fe.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: E Dizzle
I plan on doing 18% all around (minus windshield obviously). My other cars are all 24% and not quite as dark as I’d like, so 18% should be perfect with the black interior.

24% is the legal limit here, but it doesn’t seem to really be enforced at all.

Reactions: TyH2009
My first model 3 was done at 30% all the way around including the back glass with nothing on the windshield and it was too light in my opinion and I had black interior. My second model 3 we did 20% on the sides and 15 on the back. With white interior it is perfect in my opinion.

I personally like the same shade on front and rear side windows so it looks uniform.

I got Xpel 30 or 35% (can’t remember) on the side windows and with my white interior you can’t really tell to much visually. I would suggest 20% with the bright white interior and maybe 30% for black interior.

I also didn’t have them bother with the rear window because there were reports of cracking around when I got my car. I highly doubt it’s because of the tint, but I wasn’t going to tempt it, plus I want maximum visibility out the rear at all times (day/night/bad weather). I honestly don’t even notice it now since so much of the top glass is tinted and has the smooth gradient to the non-tinted bottom rear portion. I probably also saved some money...

Edit: I’m absolutely a rule follower normally, but I’m SO happy I got 78% or whatever on the windshield. It looks crystal clear still and I don’t think anyone would even question if it’s tinted (it’s that light) BUT the heat rejection is HUGE. I’m so impressed on a hot hot day that the sun can be beating in and you don’t feel it on your face or hands or anything. It DOES heat the glass though, which is part of the speculation on the rear cracking. If you put your hand about half an inch away from the windshield inside you can feel heat radiating off it. Of course there would be some self beating anyway, but this is really adding to it since almost all the heat energy is absorbed by the film rather than being reflected. (Most films are very low reflection)

30% is too light IMO. But whatever you do, do the same on front as on the back.

I did 18% all around and 50% on the windshield and love it. Probably too dark for some, and yes it’s illegal, but no f’s given
Love it.

Have you found that the 50% on your windshield causes any issues at all with the front camera? The place I use for tinting said they won’t do the windshield due to problems it can cause.

Have you found that the 50% on your windshield causes any issues at all with the front camera? The place I use for tinting said they won’t do the windshield due to problems it can cause.

Dont tint over the cameras, most places put it around the camera housing. Also make sure it doesn't extend too close to the cameras or you can have problems, see this thread: Winshield tint caused dashcam to fail?

30% is too light IMO. But whatever you do, do the same on front as on the back.

I did 18% all around and 50% on the windshield and love it. Probably too dark for some, and yes it’s illegal, but no f’s given.
View attachment 516613 View attachment 516615

50% on the windshield. Jesus. I knew the legislation in america is lax but are you allowed to drive at night with this?

I did 30% on the sides, kinda wish it was a tad bit lighter but not a big deal. Definitely agree to stick with one percentage for both front and rear side windows tho

View attachment 516437

Yeah I agree. It doesn't look bad but with the grey paint and grey rims like a superlight tint would better. Like 50-60% imho.

Love it.

Dont tint over the cameras, most places put it around the camera housing. Also make sure it doesn't extend too close to the cameras or you can have problems, see this thread: Winshield tint caused dashcam to fail?
Correct, you just tint around it. I have no issues.
50% on the windshield. Jesus. I knew the legislation in america is lax but are you allowed to drive at night with this?
Honestly it’s not bad at all. Like I said, it’s not technically legal, but neither is not running a front plate and speeding, and I do both of those as well. Haha

Reactions: Mr X
Tint is all about personal preference ... depends what you want.

Visibility
20% or darker: harder for people see in and you to see out
30% or lighter: easier for people to see in and you to see out

Looks
20% or darker: Limo, illegal activity look
30% or lighter: Subtle, classy look

Heat Rejection
20% or darker: usually better/higher
30% or lighter: usually less

The Law
20% or darker: more potential legal issues
30% or lighter: less legal issues