Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

300,000 new model 3's will be clogging supercharging sites ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had 208 mi range on my 60 before I upgraded. Didn't keep me from doing long distance road trips using the SC network one bit. 270-300 helps, but even with 200 mi range, long distance is a reality, unlike with a Bolt which does not have the SC network to rely on, therefore much more of a 'local' car.
Driving north on interstate 95, just inside the Georgia/South Carolina border, passed a Tesla S60 with Connecticut plates, heading north, 1,000 miles from home.
They road trip

Reactions: FlyF4 and gabeincal
You got me thinking...... yea, a 200 mile range M3 is something I would use for trips like Sparks to Fremont as I would only have to charge once (probably at the Rockland SC) on the way down. But most of my long range trips are hundreds of miles or even 1,000 miles. Stopping that often to charge would take too much time and on most of my routes there isn't close enough spacing of superchargers to allow me to take the route (at least not yet). Fortunately SC spacing is getting much better at a faster rate. That's why I currently like my MX with the longer range so I can stop where I want to charge, not where I must charge.

In April, we did 2,500 miles in 2 weeks with 4 people in the car and 2 dogs. Up to Tahoe and the area and then down to San Diego. There was 1 stretch around Yosemite where we had to slow down a little to reach the SC (but the option of destination charging was always there). Didn't really need the 75 upgrade and mostly did it for future proofing (in case they take the upgrade away) and battery health as one cannot balance the cells without service center help.

Reactions: FlyF4
Driving north on interstate 95, just inside the Georgia/South Carolina border, passed a Tesla S60 with Connecticut plates, heading north, 1,000 miles from home.
They road trip
Oh you bring up a really good point. I95 is LOADED with superchargers. No problem with practically any Tesla. However, you wouldn't have seen him going east or west on I40 around Arkansas unless he was on the side of the road and out of charge. :eek: Currently, you can't even get an X100 through there on SCs alone. So in this case, it is not about the car range, it is about the SC spacing. As someone pointed out on this forum somewhere, it is true that as time goes along, it won't be important about the range of the car as more SCs come on line. It will be more about the driver patience to want to stop more often for charging while on a long trip.

Yes I was talking about the base model as that is the intro model and the only thing available for quite a while. In working with various folks, I haven't heard anything about a "higher end" version, but in all fairness, I don't ask those questions. I probably wouldn't get an answer anyway. As we all know, technology always gets better and range of EVs increase, but at the moment, all I know about is a max of 235 being possible, not 270-300. That would indeed be a great car for longer range. :D
No one ever said the first version of the car will be the base model. In fact Elon has previously stated that it will be a highly optioned vehicle. They need to have early models be highly optioned for a good gross margin.

The only reason the initial models will not be all wheel drive performance versions is because this would complicate and possibly slow down the manufacturing ramp. I believe they will include every option that does not affect the manufacturing ramp.

In any case, we will know before too much longer :)

Oh you bring up a really good point. I95 is LOADED with superchargers. No problem with practically any Tesla. However, you wouldn't have seen him going east or west on I40 around Arkansas unless he was on the side of the road and out of charge. :eek: Currently, you can't even get an X100 through there on SCs alone. So in this case, it is not about the car range, it is about the SC spacing. As someone pointed out on this forum somewhere, it is true that as time goes along, it won't be important about the range of the car as more SCs come on line. It will be more about the driver patience to want to stop more often for charging while on a long trip.
You shoulda been in Rockville, maryland, USA for the John Broder "memorial" recreation of his run, Feb 3-4 years ago (memory fades)
Only the 8, Tesla S85's were able to do the run from just north of washington DC, leaving from Rockvile service center, to Delaware supercharger, then the loooong stretch to the next SC near NYC and then on past, i seem to recall Connecticut or nearby. 2 teslas were tweeeting, automatically "interior temp a cozy 72 degrees" in early february. There are a lot more SC's since then. it kills me not to have a Tesla, any Tesla, however, momma has gone from "you want to spend HOW much!!!!...to, we will get one soon, just sell the damn house now we have retired" (the TSLA, NVDA and ALB in the portfolio has _definately_ sweetened the pot and softened the pushback, and momma is right, i'm an idiot)

No one ever said the first version of the car will be the base model. In fact Elon has previously stated that it will be a highly optioned vehicle. They need to have early models be highly optioned for a good gross margin.

The only reason the initial models will not be all wheel drive performance versions is because this would complicate and possibly slow down the manufacturing ramp. I believe they will include every option that does not affect the manufacturing ramp.

In any case, we will know before too much longer :)

OK, I guess we have a different understanding of the phrase "base model". I'm mentioning in terms of every manufacturer has a base model and then you add what you want. That is what I mean. So actually agreeing with what you are saying.

OK, I guess we have a different understanding of the phrase "base model". I'm mentioning in terms of every manufacturer has a base model and then you add what you want. That is what I mean. So actually agreeing with what you are saying.

My current guess is there will be three packages. There will be a standard, a premium and a performance package. I think the premium package will be available first, followed by the performance package and finally followed by the base and/or custom options. I'm also guessing the premium and performance packages will be the larger battery size. I think the initial configuration will allow you to choose between these options, but only if you pick the premium package will you get the earliest date. So the initial deliveries will all be premium packages with your only options being color and wheels. The others will have dates further out into the future.

Some of my speculation is based on their preliminary update to the model S ordering that seems to follow this kind of pattern.