TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

$300 Key

Discussion in 'Cars and Transportation' started by PeterW, Jun 15, 2016.

1. PeterW

PeterW Member

Just wanted to share this.
    We have a 2002 Toyota Corolla Fielder. It has a key with a button to remotely lock and unlock the car. More than a year ago the remote access stopped working. We thought, Okay probably needs a new battery. Leonie went to Manawatu Toyota where we get our car serviced. The man at the service desk took the key out the back, came back a minute or so later and said the the key was a sealed unit. A replacement would cost NZ$300.

I finally decided to have a look at it yesterday and took it apart. Today I went and found a battery for $7 and put it back together; works like new.

• Like x 1
  2. mkjayakumar

mkjayakumar Active Member

Did you go tell the dealer that he should do a better job of scamming people ?

3. PeterW

PeterW Member

Not yet. I may go in and be a bit more diplomatic and tell them you can get into the key and replace the battery. Be interesting to see what sort of response I get

4. int32_t

int32_t Tesla Spotter

Awesome! I SO like it when people just DIY when they're told "It can't be done." :cool:

5. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Replacement key fob for the 2012 Toyota rav 4 EV is ~$400. Then they charge another $100 to program it to your car.