Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

300+ Mile Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DqXADb8gE9RU&ved=0CB8QtwIwAWoVChMI1bGut6yJxwIVhowNCh1L6Abz&usg=AFQjCNGzjkvWhJMlWV8YXzMYH9HsRaD_qQ

Look at 17 minutes for an actual number. Start a minute earlier for the question.

I stand corrected however. He does not say 240 miles, but rather "250 to 300 miles." He also states that 250 to 350 miles is the sweet spot.
He also did not make a specific commitment to the Model 3 EV range beyond the "passing grade" of 200 miles. He said 250-300 or perhaps 250-350 were ideal and beyond that the value of larger range became less important. What he said would be entirely consistent with a default Model 3 range of 220 miles and an optional pack upgrade that takes it to ~300 miles.

He also did not make a specific commitment to the Model 3 EV range beyond the "passing grade" of 200 miles. He said 250-300 or perhaps 250-350 were ideal and beyond that the value of larger range became less important. What he said would be entirely consistent with a default Model 3 range of 220 miles and an optional pack upgrade that takes it to ~300 miles.
Correct, but I could have sworn he gave a specific example and epa minimum range, in addition to the examples of optimal conditions in response to the question I highlighted.
I got no idea why the model S doesnt come with hubcaps without holes as standard. -6% energyconsumption is insane for a simple modification like this.
Saying that though, I would trade range for faster supercharging.

It used to come with aero wheels as an option but they were unpopular and discontinued. Also, usually charge rate and range can be increased with a larger total capacity. But, you can also have a larger capacity battery that charges slower or the opposite.

Correct, but I could have sworn he gave a specific example and epa minimum range, in addition to the examples of optimal conditions in response to the question I highlighted.

Are you talking about this ?

Model 3 Range per 3/19/15 Press Statements

"Musk: 200 miles is minimum threshold for an electric car. We need 200+ miles in real world. Not 200 miles in 'AC off, driving on flat road' mode. "
then added:
"Musk: anything below 200 miles isn't passing grade. Most people looking for 20% more than that."

You can interpret the first statement as EPA 200 miles range. Second as saying it should really be 240. But, you can't take this as Musk saying Model 3 will have 240 EPA miles range.

I think the EPA range will be "safely" above 200 - around 220 perhaps. If they aim for just above 200 - say 205, some unforeseen circumstance that increases weight or adds to CD can make it come below 200. That is why I think they will aim for 210 or 220 - and may get a little above or below that.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree on the 3 hours, but even in the UK where the speed limits are one of the lowest in europe at 70mph, noone drives 70. More like 80 and sometimes 90. In France, spain, Netherlands, Italy this is much higher, which is why I picked 85mph. 85mph x 3hours is 255 miles. So by saying minimum range of 200 miles at normal european cruising speed, I'm not asking for the world. :frown:

200 miles at 3 hours would be 66mph which is just too slow for europe. You will hold the traffic up behind you lol

My statement about 3 hours of freeway driving was to break into the ICE market in a big way. That won't happen with Model 3. Afterall you need other things too like lower than $35k price (around $20k in US) and ubiquitous charging infrastructure which makes any kind of planning unnecessary when driving on any freeway or highway. I think those are 10 years or so out. This won't happen at one go - but in stages.

- - - Updated - - -

200 miles at 80mph is the bare minimum imho.

I should have asked earlier - bare minimum for what ?

Is that for you to buy or for 10% of people you know to buy or for Tesla to sell 500k cars annually or ... ?

Because, that is not going to happen with base model 3.

The entire point of the model 3 is to break into the ICE market. That is the only reason Tesla Motors exists. The model 3 will be superior to any comparable ICE car, or Tesla will have failed. Go read the secret mission again if you have any complaints with that.

Now on range, no one can give a number yet, but 250 is the lower target.

Quote Originally Posted by Candleflame View Post
200 miles at 80mph is the bare minimum imho.

I should have asked earlier - bare minimum for what ?

Is that for you to buy or for 10% of people you know to buy or for Tesla to sell 500k cars annually or ... ?

Because, that is not going to happen with base model 3.

Speed becomes less of a negative factor as your drag coefficient gets better and better. If Model 3 can hit an extremely slippery 0.20 Cd then 200 miles at 80 might be possible. Hopefully side mirrors are no longer a legal requirement by then.

Speed becomes less of a negative factor as your drag coefficient gets better and better. If Model 3 can hit an extremely slippery 0.20 Cd then 200 miles at 80 might be possible. Hopefully side mirrors are no longer a legal requirement by then.
The compromises they'd need to make that cd will turn off more people than they can gain because of extra miles. 3 will be a conventional looking vehicle with a decent cd, large battery to get 200 miles. Expecting anything else is likely to result in disappointment.

Hi. I created a spreadsheet for range calculations. It already has all Model S and Model X versions. I can add a few fictional Model 3 configurations and show the results here. If anybody is interested, I need the following data. If you give me those numbers, I can show you range side by side with S90D or S100D if you want.

1. Battery size (make up any number)
2. Weight of car (to give you an idea, S60= 1961kg, S70D= 2090kg, S85D=2188kg)
3. Frontal cross section area (Model S is 2.34 square metres. Model 3 will be less. BMW 3 series is 2.16 square metres. The image below explains the area.)
4. Drag Coefficient (you can check this page Automobile drag coefficient - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
5. Speed (any speed you would like to see range at)

Model%u00252520S%u00252520Silhouette.png

Last edited:
The entire point of the model 3 is to break into the ICE market. That is the only reason Tesla Motors exists. The model 3 will be superior to any comparable ICE car, or Tesla will have failed. Go read the secret mission again if you have any complaints with that.

Now on range, no one can give a number yet, but 250 is the lower target.

Well of course. The roadster and Model S were intended to break into the ICE market as well, and did. However, he said break into the ICE market in a significant way, which means selling millions of cars per year just like the ICE manufacturers. The Model 3 isn't the final Tesla car that accomplishes everything, just another stepping stone.

Let's try: ...

Hi. I added your version to the list. Your username would be confusing, so I named it Norway's Model 3. To see it, click here and switch to page "Range Calculator". Your version has more range than Ratsbew's at lower speeds but less range at higher speeds. The rolling resistance and air resistance consumption numbers per 100 mi, explain this.

You can change speed to anything you want. So, we don't need speed anymore. Only these 4 are needed:

1. Battery size (make up any number)
2. Weight of car (to give you an idea, S60= 1961kg, S70D= 2090kg, S85D=2188kg)
3. Frontal cross section area (Model S is 2.34 square metres. Model 3 will be less. BMW 3 series is 2.16 square metres. The image below explains the area.)
4. Drag Coefficient (you can check this page Automobile drag coefficient - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Hi. I added your version to the list. Your username would be confusing, so I named it Norway's Model 3. To see it, click here and switch to page "Range Calculator".

Thank you :)

Your version has more range than Ratsbew's at lower speeds but less range at higher speeds. The rolling resistance and air resistance consumption numbers per 100 mi, explain this.

As expected, but the differences was even smaller then I expected. But this reconfirm that the base TM3 will not need a 60kWh battery to get an EPA range of about 240 miles, witch is what I expect is the target for Tesla. Is it to much to ask to make it 55kWh/1700kg?

If we're trying to figure out estimated range based on a steady 80mph speed, weight shouldn't factor into it very much (if at all), unless you're traveling uphill or something.

That would have been true if the tires didn't touch the road. The weight of the car presses the car down to the road. The tires grip the road. This is something you want because otherwise you couldn't control the car. For example trains have very little rolling friction because they are on rails and don't need to grip. But if you put a train on a road, it would be like sliding on ice because it wouldn't grip.

- - - Updated - - -

Is it to much to ask to make it 55kWh/1700kg?

No problem at all. I enjoy playing around with this. At 61.7 mph range is same as rated range. So you can use that as a guide.

Last edited: