Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

300-plus kW inverter for M3 -- implies MS equivalent performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can one really infer performance based on the invertor specs? Over 300kw invertor still needs a battery that will feed it that much power, and also the motor size must mean something.
I take this to mean that the power invertor will not be a limitation to performance.

Reactions: gavine
I take this to mean that the power invertor will not be a limitation to performance.

Yes that will be true if it is indeed a 300kW inverter. But Tesla is optimizing the Model 3 for manufacturablity and cost. Putting an overly large inverter in the vehicle if (any of its trim levels') battery cannot support it, or it's motor cannot accept that level of power seems wasteful.

Plus it is basically the only clue we have (besides 0-60 target in base version), so wild speculation must occur.

Can one really infer performance based on the invertor specs? Over 300kw invertor still needs a battery that will feed it that much power, and also the motor size must mean something.

You won't get the full performance with the smallest battery, I suspect, as battery power will likely be limiting. And the M3D may use a smaller motor/inverter at both ends for less weight and better efficiency, just as on the S.

There's essentially no reason to design an inverter for more power than you intend a motor to deliver, unless you wanted to share it across platforms, and need the extra capacity for the more powerful platform. I don't think that's the case here, but I could see non-P MS's sharing some of these components with M3's.

Can somebody smarter than me fill me in as to why you would not have a DC motor for one of the motors in a dual motor?

That way you can have a smaller, cheaper inverter and not use an inveter at all under low power demand conditions.....most conditions.
I'm not smarter than you. However, I can assure you that AC motors, which are for all intents and purposes the same as "brushless DC" or electronically commutated motors, are much much more efficient than brushed (mechanically commutated) motors. Three-phase AC motors (like the ones Tesla uses) can achieve 98%+ efficiency, whereas brushed DC motors get stuck in the 70-90% range. And brushes wear out, so you would have to replace the brushes after a certain number of km, just like you'd have to change your engine oil. Today's semiconductor tech allows for inverters to be at least 90% efficient, probably closer to 95%.

Yes that will be true if it is indeed a 300kW inverter. But Tesla is optimizing the Model 3 for manufacturablity and cost. Putting an overly large inverter in the vehicle if (any of its trim levels') battery cannot support it, or it's motor cannot accept that level of power seems wasteful.

Plus it is basically the only clue we have (besides 0-60 target in base version), so wild speculation must occur.
Since the new inverter is based on something made ad-hoc making different inverter-version could be easily done.
And i agree that making a bigger motore + bigger inverter if the battery is not capable could be wateful.

But i was just thinking.. if they make all the car with the same motor/inverter and when you give back the car from the leasing they could have 2 chance:
- Resell as is it
- Swap the battery with a new one more-capable battery, and sell the car as a ludicrus car if the customer want it just for 5k plus, so they get pratically a new car

It all depend of how many will give back the car after the leasing, and how much it cost more for the inverter/motor to be standard, since standard means -> average less cost

Someone more familiar correct me if I am wrong, but aren't these specs just for the rear motor?

the HP/weight ratio might very well get to your 9lbs/lb-ft in AWD.

Yes - only one of the motors. For certain there would be a two motor car available that would have substantially more HP than this and probably provide something north of 600HP. I expect, as with the PXXD, that the car will be battery limited and not inverter / motor limited. In any case, the top end M3 will have perform at a ridiculous level.

I'm guessing the maximum plaid Roadster based on the Model 3 platform might include two of these 300 kW inverters, plus something like a 1 kWh/300 kW supercapacitor pack. With an 80 kWh battery, outputting 600 kW for up to 12 seconds at a time would be possible. This should allow the next generation Roadster to remain traction limited up to about 80 mph.

The supercaps would kick in at 40 mph, then max out about 2 seconds later at 80 mph, then continue to provide max for about another 10 seconds. Sufficient to reach over 150 mph, at least.

We'll see if Tesla comes with something similar for the Model 3. :)

Reactions: DrivingTheFuture
But the 3 probably will have smaller battery pack ( it's just a question of how much space you can have ) so, overall, the S would allways be faster since it can deliver more amp

A smaller battery pack will translate into less energy, but not necessarily less power while (close to) fully charged. So if Tesla want to, they can create a Model 3 with a Model S acceleration.

PS. Back in March I actually guessed that Tesla would introduce for Model 3 and S/X a cheaper, more compact and efficient inverter:
Model 3 "new technology" speculation

Well.... the price ratios from the bottom end S, to the bottom end P90D, to the top end is P90DL are 166% and 216% respectively. if you have the same thing with the 3, that should imply a are bones PXXD M3 for 60-ish and the top end at around 75-80.

This is a mass produced lower cost vehicle the deltas should be smaller.

Elon has said that the dual motor cost less than 5K....

But the 3 probably will have smaller battery pack ( it's just a question of how much space you can have ) so, overall, the S would allways be faster since it can deliver more amp

Every 100lbs is equal to about 10hp. My guess is that the Model 3 will be 500lbs lighter than the model S

Last edited:
If Tesla offers 3-ish seconds 0-60 for $65k or less I'll be in heaven
I keep negotiating my "must haves" in my mind... I think this is my list for now:

1. Ultra White Seats ( $2,500 ?)
2. High Fidelity Sound System ($2,500 ?)
3. Autopilot Activated ( $ 1,500 ? )
4. Supercharging Activated ( $ 1,500? )
5. Performance Upgrade (this is the biggest variable on what this will cost to get near 3 second 0-60 ) $ ??????

I'm actually hoping to accomplish all this for around 15k in upgrades... which after tax credit would bring my final cost down to $43,000 ish...

I keep negotiating my "must haves" in my mind... I think this is my list for now:

1. Ultra White Seats ( $2,500 ?)
2. High Fidelity Sound System ($2,500 ?)
3. Autopilot Activated ( $ 1,500 ? )
4. Supercharging Activated ( $ 1,500? )
5. Performance Upgrade (this is the biggest variable on what this will cost to get near 3 second 0-60 ) $ ??????

I'm actually hoping to accomplish all this for around 15k in upgrades... which after tax credit would bring my final cost down to $43,000 ish...

if they keep the option and pricing models the same, your Supercharging option price will be included in your Performance upgrade, by way of the bigger battery

A smaller battery pack will translate into less energy, but not necessarily less power while (close to) fully charged. So if Tesla want to, they can create a Model 3 with a Model S acceleration.
They've found a balance between power/capacity in the cell, so for now this is a constant.
The efficency of the inverter is also a constants, if they build a better inverter ( wich it seems they have done ) they will simply put the news inverter in the new model S, so this is again a constant.

Yes, of course they can make a battery with a different power/capacity constants for the model 3, but it's unlikely since it probably would probably destroy the battery faster. for what?

So, again, more space -> more capacity -> more power -> more performance.