Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

302 Mile Range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you notice the 70 went up as well. not sure what is going on. If they are no longer using EPA, or who knows.
It changed back.

One day I have no doubt about Tesla making it, and thriving. But today, their website shows Model S with 70kWh in places and 75kWh in others, and then there is the difference in range too. It seems like they need more grown ups running the place. At least to tell everyone to stop a moment and get on the same page.

It's just weird to see picts of the center console show up a couple weeks back on the main site, then the person who drove by the factory and took a picture of the MS with the new nose wrapped for shipping, not to mention the mention of a 100kWh battery in firmware 3 or so weeks back. The funny thing is that you would think that the 100kWh battery would be the center piece of a new MS.

If I were sitting on the fence, I'd keep waiting. I would hate to take delivery in June of the face-lifted car, only for them to drop the 100kWh battery in July.

Reactions: AnOutsider
It changed back.

One day I have no doubt about Tesla making it, and thriving. But today, their website shows Model S with 70kWh in places and 75kWh in others, and then there is the difference in range too. It seems like they need more grown ups running the place. At least to tell everyone to stop a moment and get on the same page.

It's just weird to see picts of the center console show up a couple weeks back on the main site, then the person who drove by the factory and took a picture of the MS with the new nose wrapped for shipping, not to mention the mention of a 100kWh battery in firmware 3 or so weeks back. The funny thing is that you would think that the 100kWh battery would be the center piece of a new MS.

If I were sitting on the fence, I'd keep waiting. I would hate to take delivery in June of the face-lifted car, only for them to drop the 100kWh battery in July.

The new battery isn't important to me. That one will likely come with a price bump, especially when first introduced. Nice to have, yes. But not at higher cost.

image.png
I thought it was already updated to 294, but the Tesla website has 302

TeslaMaxRange.png
There are two separate displays there. One is the EPA figures, which haven't changed. The second is the range calculator based on various temperature/speed/etc. assumptions, which is where the 302mi figure came from. If you crank those values to the extremes (e.g. 45mph, 110°, AC off, 19" wheels) you can get some pretty insane range figures :)

Also note that power output of the motor is limited due to motor shaft restriction, and not battery limited. ..
Its not limited by the motor shaft, but the power at the motor shaft is restricted. Probably due to the battery.

Power can be a bit misleading, because you have multiple spots to measure the power output. You can measure the power out put from the battery, at the battery side of the inverter after wiring losses, which should stay almost the same, at the motor side of the inverter, which is a bit less, due to inverter losses, at the motor plugs, again almost the same as after the inverter losses, at the motor shaft, there it is at best 90% of the battery power in the maximum power case, after the gearbox, differential and finally at the wheels, where it is again lower than at the shaft.

Tesla measured the power at the shaft, the in-car readout is the power drawn from the battery and what really matters would be the power at the wheels.