Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

30A 1772 home charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I own a 30A 1772 from my Nissan Leaf. I plan to use this as my home charger. Is anyone else doing this? What do you think?

I think you should try it. As you can tell from comments upthread, it's not a totally outlandish thing to do. If after you've lived with that arrangement for awhile, you find that the charging speed isn't enough for your needs or if you find dealing with the J1772 adapter to be inconvenient, you can then have someone pull a new circuit for a NEMA 14-50, HPWC, or whatever. Point being whatever you decide to do now isn't set in stone.

(I have two NEMA 14-50s in my garage...I have the UMC for my Model S plugged into one and a Clippercreek HCS-40P (J1772 plug) plugged into the other, for my wife's BMW 330e. The HCS-40P is massive overkill for the 330e's wimpy onboard charger but I can also use it to charge my Tesla if necessary, or another visiting EV.)

Good luck!

Bruce.

Reactions: jgs
I own a 30A 1772 from my Nissan Leaf. I plan to use this as my home charger. Is anyone else doing this? What do you think?

I agree with @bmah. I think it will work just fine. But if you do find it too slow, then you can always make a change later. Give it a try first and see how it works for you.

The HCS-40P is massive overkill for the 330e's wimpy onboard charger but I can also use it to charge my Tesla if necessary, or another visiting EV.

I did the same with my Leaf. I have a HPWC for my Tesla and a Clipper Creek CS-60 putting out 48 amps for my Leaf. Even though the Leaf can only use 16 of them, I wanted a 48 amp EVSE as a backup for my Tesla, for my future Model 3 that will replace the Leaf, and for visitors.

Trivia: my EVSE (for boring historical reasons) is a Bosch Power Xpress that plugs into a NEMA 6-50.
Yes, I should take back part of my assumption above. For the permanent locations that are hardwired, like almost all car dealership places that have EVSEs, they are on a 40A circuit. But it's a quirk of the electrical ecosystem that there is no 40A outlet type. So if you want a J1772 station that does have a plug, it has to be a 6-50, 10-50, or 14-50, and that is what you do see from Bosch and Clipper Creek and everybody. So yeah, if it's a plugged EVSE, it is probably a 50A circuit already. Apologies there.

So I guess modified suggestion is that if it is already a 50A circuit, then you still wouldn't have do pay for any electrician work replacing wire and breakers to get 40A from that line instead of 30A.

Yes, I should take back part of my assumption above. For the permanent locations that are hardwired, like almost all car dealership places that have EVSEs, they are on a 40A circuit. But it's a quirk of the electrical ecosystem that there is no 40A outlet type. So if you want a J1772 station that does have a plug, it has to be a 6-50, 10-50, or 14-50, and that is what you do see from Bosch and Clipper Creek and everybody. So yeah, if it's a plugged EVSE, it is probably a 50A circuit already. Apologies there.

So I guess modified suggestion is that if it is already a 50A circuit, then you still wouldn't have do pay for any electrician work replacing wire and breakers to get 40A from that line instead of 30A.

Don't assume it's as easy as switching out the breaker and outlet. I'm in the same boat with a 6-50 outlet that my current EVSE is plugged into. My circuit is 40 amps and the wiring they pulled is only rated for 40 amps also, so they would have to rewire the whole thing to upgrade to 50 amps. On top of that my electric box doesn't have the capacity to increase the amperage either so I'd have to replace that too. There are all sorts of issues that can come up.

Don't assume it's as easy as switching out the breaker and outlet. I'm in the same boat with a 6-50 outlet that my current EVSE is plugged into. My circuit is 40 amps and the wiring they pulled is only rated for 40 amps also, so they would have to rewire the whole thing to upgrade to 50 amps. On top of that my electric box doesn't have the capacity to increase the amperage either so I'd have to replace that too. There are all sorts of issues that can come up.
Oh, that's right. I forgot that an EVSE can also use the oven exception. It's officially nameplated as a 40A device, so NEC allows a 50A outlet type on a 40A circuit in that situation, which is normally not allowed.

That's a good spot for a Wall Connector though, as it can be set to whatever amperage the circuit is set up for. An install of one would not necessarily require the help of an electrician as it's really no more complicated than installing an outlet. Even if it did, it would be a very cheap install.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H