Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

32 amp to Type 2 charging cable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am having a 32 amp 3 phase power point installed at home
Example: https://www.tro.com.au/32-AMP-500V-5-Round-Pin-Switched-Socket

Does anyone supply a 32 amp to type 2 AC mobile charging cable?
The car (not Tesla) only takes 7kW maximum, so hoping it only draws one phase of the three or will need to limit the draw to 10 to 11 amps

My research so far seems its cheaper to get a Tesla wall charger at $750, than a mobile lead!!

You can purchase 32A to Tesla Mobile charger plugs.
Available in both 3-pin and 5-pin varieties.

Slightly cheaper option (at least while the Mobile Charger is included free with cars).

Reactions: 1001
Am having a 32 amp 3 phase power point installed at home
Example: https://www.tro.com.au/32-AMP-500V-5-Round-Pin-Switched-Socket

Does anyone supply a 32 amp to type 2 AC mobile charging cable?
The car (not Tesla) only takes 7kW maximum, so hoping it only draws one phase of the three or will need to limit the draw to 10 to 11 amps

My research so far seems its cheaper to get a Tesla wall charger at $750, than a mobile lead!!
Hi @hooty, your location is stated as The Netherlands, so assuming you are about to or have moved to Australia.
There are a couple of companies who sell 7Kw capable portable EVSEs, here are 2 examples from EVSE or EVchargers, there are more.
I would call them to discuss your particular situation and what if it will work as required on that 5 pin 3 phase socket(Commonly called a Clipsal 56SO532).
Including the matching connecting cable with a Clipsal 56P532 plug you will need, it may be more expensive than a Tesla wall connector but you won’t need an electrician to install it and the 56SO532 socket is the most popular 3 phase socket available to EVs in remote parts of Australia.
So if you intend doing a lot of travelling with your non Tesla EV this will serve as both your home and portable charge connector but if you won’t it may be better to install something fixed, which both these companies sell as well.

You can purchase 32A to Tesla Mobile charger plugs.
Available in both 3-pin and 5-pin varieties.

Slightly cheaper option (at least while the Mobile Charger is included free with cars).
That's it!! Thanks so much!!
The new car is a BYD Atto but I can use the mobile charger from the Tesla with this adapter
Does anyone know if I get the 5 pin version (3 phase) whether I will have to dial back the car onboard charger draw to 10/11 amps (= 30 to 33 amps of single phase)??
(I am getting a Tesla Wall Charger installed as well at the same time)

Does anyone know if I get the 5 pin version (3 phase) whether I will have to dial back the car onboard charger draw to 10/11 amps (= 30 to 33 amps of single phase)??
No.

The 5 pin plug still only has one phase connected, because the Tesla UMC is only a single phase device. As far as the UMC and the car are concerned, it's a single phase charging connection.

Things have changed and I've decided to get a Type 2 to Type 2 cable.

I'd prefer to get a 22kw (to get to 11KW on my 3) but happy to be told it's so rare just get a 7kw. I'm towards a 5M cable, do I really need a 7.5M cable?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Things have changed and I've decided to get a Type 2 to Type 2 cable.

I'd prefer to get a 11kw but happy to be told it's so rare just get a 7kw. I'm happy to get a 5M cable, do I really need a 7.5M cable?

Thanks for your help.
I think you really end up needing the '22kw' version.

With and 11kw cable on single phase 7kw charger you would only end up with 3.6kw as the '11kw' is split across the 3 phases.
With a 7kw cable and a 22kw charger you will only get 7kw where you could otherwise get 11kw.

I think both 7kw and 22kw chargers are both fairly common depending on the given site install limitations.

I think you really end up needing the '22kw' version.

With and 11kw cable on single phase 7kw charger you would only end up with 3.6kw as the '11kw' is split across the 3 phases.
With a 7kw cable and a 22kw charger you will only get 7kw where you could otherwise get 11kw.

I think both 7kw and 22kw chargers are both fairly common depending on the given site install limitations.
I've never seen an 11kw type 2 to type 2 cable, no such thing as far as I'm aware. It's either 16A x 1 phase (3.6kW, no CP pin connection) or 32A x 1 phase (7kW), or 32A x 3 phase (22kw) cables.

The standard allows for up to 63A 3 phase, or 70A single phase, but I've never heard of any EVSE or EV supporting that.

I've never seen an 11kw type 2 to type 2 cable, no such thing as far as I'm aware. It's either 16A x 1 phase (3.6kW, no CP pin connection) or 32A x 1 phase (7kW), or 32A x 3 phase (22kw) cables.
This site
, for example, sells them. There is a price difference of $240 vs $265 for the 11kw vs 22kw version. I presume they are 3x16A cables and signal as such somehow. Depending on your use case 11kw may be desirable as it would be easier to wield. But if you want to use a variety of chargers with the maximum charge rate possible for the charger then it seems like 22kw version is required.

Last edited:
Reactions: FlyingKiwi
This site
, for example, sells them. There is a price difference of $240 vs $265 for the 11kw vs 22kw version. I presume they are 3x16A cables and signal as such somehow. Depending on your use case 11kw may be desirable as it would be easier to wield. But if you want to use a variety of chargers with the maximum charge rate possible for the charger then it seems like 22kw version is required.

Wow, never seen one before.

Probably because you'll kick yourself the first time you come across a single phase type 2 socket and discover 3.6kW is your limit. It really doesn't make sense to buy an 11kW 3 phase EVSE or cable when 22kW is just a few dollars more.

That's it!! Thanks so much!!
The new car is a BYD Atto but I can use the mobile charger from the Tesla with this adapter
(I am getting a Tesla Wall Charger installed as well at the same time)
My neighbour has a BYD Atto 3 and I let him charge it on my 22Kw capable V2 Tesla Wall connector and the most it would charge at was 6.4Kw, 80% of 7.3Kw.
On the portable charge connector that came with the BYD the best he gets when connected to a standard 10A power point was 1.9Kw, 80% of 2.4Kw.
It looks like the BYD charger will only draw 80% of the available supply so I don’t see how you can achieve 7Kw charge rate. YMMV.

I watched the BYD group in NZ and it was very interesting. They mentioned that if you charge a BYD on a 3 phase system you actually get less KW's per hour than charging on the 32amp single phase. Something about how BYD can only receive a single phase charge. So a 3 phase system (each phase lower amps compared to a single phase) actually supplies less power. Maybe that's why on the 22kw it wasn't charging up to speed. They explained it better than me but it's on YouTube 👍

This topic makes no sense. Type 2 charging is 3 phase 16 amp 240v AC charging in Australia giving 11kw. Charging stations that offer 32a 240v 1 phase AC give 7kw power. There is no physical way that 1 phase power can be converted to 3 phase power by any adapter, that proposition defies the laws of electrical physics. Owners of vehicles that can only accept 7kw AC power as standard are deluding themselves if they think they can get better charging by plugging into an 11kw charger.