Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

32% drop in range (winter in MN)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is that the savings for Tesla's setup specifically (heatpump+octovalve)?

Well, others have COP 2 heat pumps in the cars - the large heat pumps you see by the houses in Nordics that can reach COP 5+ are massive size wise and they don't fit in any car. Car heat pumps have to be tiny. So, if tesla does super duper job, they could be looking into COP 2.5 heat pump. With that you would save 6kWh per each 4h of driving. Good result, but not THAT magical.

Reactions: Mboysen
I am in WI so somewhat comparable to the OP's climate.
In fair weather my S mights see 270wh/m but get to winter and kf I don't preheat my 7 mile drive to work my 5 mile average might be 730wh/m but generally my 30mile average in January with be 520-530ah/m
Short trips and resulting frequently reheating the cabin cause day to day efficiency to crater but I think discussing this as "range" does not lead to thorough understanding of what the car is still capable of.
I just said in winter my average can be 520wh/m but with the rated wh/m being like 290 my 6yo 100k mile car charges to 242miles at 100%, yet I have no trouble driving from Appleton to Eau Claire a 180 mile leg, and I have done it in single digit temps. Once the cabin is warm consumption drops dramatically, still higher than summer but far less than your daily commute would lead you to believe. Without doing the math the January daily commute wh/m probably suggests I jave a winter range of 140miles, yet I have no problem with a 180mile leg.

If nervous about longer trips use the nav even if you know where you are going, the car will do a decent job of calculating things and usually on long trips in winter If the nav calculates I will get to the supercharger with say 15% initially as the drive progresses that number will climb because heat use goes down as the interior heats thru.

Reactions: Mboysen and ChadS
I learned from this experience that all 5 tires dropped by 5 lbs overnight when our weather dropped by 40 °. The combination of heating, tire pressure, and heavy wet snow definitely dropped the range. After a month of driving, I'm starting to get a feel for the car, and a killer app would be where is to show what's pulling the extra draw. Similar to how Apple measures apps using significant energy. I'm curious if anyone knows a third-party app that could measure something like this picture below?

Activity_Monitor__Applications_in_last_12_hours_.png

Question here for winter/cold folks- when preconditioning your car, do you still have limited regen braking (the dashed line in the picture below)? I was under the, perhaps incorrect, impression that preheating & conditioning the car yields full regen braking ability.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_1540.jpg
    IMG_1540.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 48
@Mboysen, one more thing I would note that I have not seen in the replies. The estimated range in the Stats app is based on the energy that has been used in the past 30 miles. It is the same value that can be seen in the energy graph in the car, and it constantly changes. I’ve seen this value as high as 999 miles (it is evidently limited to 3 digits) as I was descending out of a mountain range. I find it of limited use, as the past 30 miles is not usually a good indication of what the next 30 miles will be. Nevertheless, winter definitely does take a hit on the range. I use Teslafi and my % hit as a function of temperature is very similar to @Torqueria’s post #6. Limiting your speed and the heater are the 2 things you have the most control over. Regarding preheating, I would note that it will improve your Wh/mile statistics and will let you go a bit further on a long trip if you are plugged in while pre conditioning, but I do not believe that it actually reduces total energy usage.

Reactions: Mboysen
Question here for winter/cold folks- when preconditioning your car, do you still have limited regen braking (the dashed line in the picture below)? I was under the, perhaps incorrect, impression that preheating & conditioning the car yields full regen braking ability.

Thanks in advance!
I didn’t experience it but I have read that read that regen is affected if the battery is cold.