Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

32A charging Vs reduced current

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the LR Model Y and has the 6-50 charging outlet on a 8/2 copper wire, 6 ft from the panel with 40A breaker. My driving is approx 100 km on a daily basis. This being the case, which charging option is better for the 100km top-up for a healthier battery or for any other:
  • Daily charging at max 32A for 2.5 hrs
  • Daily charging at 20A for 5 hrs
  • Charging every two days at the max 32A for 5 hrs (to top-up 200 kms)
  • Charging every two days at the reduced 20A for 9 hrs
  • Any other option...
I'm using the "kms" as I'm in Canada compared to my smaller neighboring countries that uses "miles" :)

There is no technical reason to charge slower on a L2 connection than max charge rate, as far as the battery is concerned. ALL home charging is considered "slow" charging. Since the car is awake the entire period of charging, AND there specifically is NO advantage at all from a technical reason to "run it down before charging it back up, option 1 is your best choice.

Not only is there no benefit to running it down to charge it back up again, shallower discharges tend to be less impactful than deeper ones, as far as battery health goes. Couple that with the fact that charging slower "just because" will keep the car awake longer, thus using more relative energy, means, as I mentioned, as far as the CAR is concerned, there is no reason at all to charge slower on a L2 connection than the max speed you can.

Now, there may be other considerations than the car, like old wiring, or not having L2 charging at home etc, but if you have a choice (and you do) there is no reason for the CAR to charge it slower than the max your setup allows.

for more than that, you can search this 250+ page (pages, not post) thread in the model 3 subforum on battery health, for posts by @AAKEE and @AlanSubie4Life.

In this case, daily driving of 100km, I would charge each weekday, maybe once over the weekend as required. I would set up Scheduled Departure Charging so that charging will take place overnight and be completed each morning before the usual time I depart. This is the most grid friendly time to charge, may save you some money if you are able to be on a time of use (TOU) rate plan. In the winter Scheduled Departure Charging is more efficient than charging as soon as you arrive home. The battery will already be warm from the charging session so maybe only a little additional power will be needed from the grid to further warm the battery and warm the passenger cabin before departing. You can set the related Scheduled Departure Preconditioning to warm the Tesla Model Y before your usual departure time (can be set for weekdays only or all week.) Even though the primary benefit of Scheduled Departure Charging is in the colder months charging in the early hours of the A.M. is more grid friendly any time of year.