Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

32a Commando Socket with UMC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm after some advice. I'm planning on a 32a commando socket being installed, however, once plugged in, there doesn't seem to be a solution I can find to stop the UMC simply hanging from the socket due to how short the 32a adapter is. Has anyone come up with a solution for this?

I've had a good google and search on here but can't find anything.

There are brackets available to hold the UMC
The brackets don't work when using a 32a adapter due to the angle they come out of the socket and the short length of the adapter. Even a downward angled commando socket doesn't allow the UMC to sit flush against the wall beneath and therefore in the holder. I use a holder currently with the 3pin plug but it won't work with a 32a adapter.

The brackets don't work when using a 32a adapter due to the angle they come out of the socket and the short length of the adapter. Even a downward angled commando socket doesn't allow the UMC to sit flush against the wall beneath and therefore in the holder. I use a holder currently with the 3pin plug but it won't work with a 32a adapter.
I've just looked at mine (not used it yet) and can see what you are saying now, I can't see it being a problem hanging on the wire as its a very stiff cable however you could easily make a small extension from a male and female 32a commando and some 6mm cable.

I did this for years as commando used to be the Tesla approach, I just looped the cable over the top of the commando point. I do similar now it’s a charge point. The commando plug is unlikely to come out regardless, they’re pretty stiff sockets.

I'm after some advice. I'm planning on a 32a commando socket being installed, however, once plugged in, there doesn't seem to be a solution I can find to stop the UMC simply hanging from the socket due to how short the 32a adapter is. Has anyone come up with a solution for this?

I've had a good google and search on here but can't find anything.
Yes it’s an issue worth thinking about. Fortunately I have some garage shelving adjacent to the socket so I can keep it horizontal rather than hanging at a right angle and putting a strain on the cable.

If a small shelf isn’t feasible then as already suggested you could make up a short commando extension. The commando sockets and plugs and cable to do this are not very expensive. They are genuinely easier to wire than a 13amp plug … much less fiddly. Wait a minute…. You’ve not had it installed yet so you can just make sure the position takes account of the angle and short cable.

Just got mine installed today (£210 including parts), hitting 7kW, which is great. Annoyingly should have got it installed further up the drive but electrician was concerned about drilling through old garage walls, so may need an extension as otherwise a bit of a nightmare getting to the boot. Any recommended extension leads and anything to be aware of when using extension leads?

We recently had an electrician fit a 3-pin external socket, but now we have our new Tesla I would like to change it for a 32A commando socket for faster charging. (Not planning on getting a dedicated EV charger for now). The electrician said it would be a straight swap from the old 3-pin socket to a 32A commando socket, but for reasons that aren't relevant*, I need to buy the socket myself, but I know nothing about electrics.....can anyone advise/recommend an appropriate 32A outlet/socket I can buy which can be used as a straight swap for a 3-pin? There are so many online and I don't understand some of the comments about voltages and whether additional fuses would be required etc., Thanks in advance

*If anyone cares: the electrician is great but expensive. He wants to charge ~£200 to come swap the socket cos he has to charge a half-day minimum to come out, even though he said its a straight swap. Meanwhile, we have our general handyman coming here anyway next week to do some jobs, and he is happy to do the socket too, but he has no experience with commando sockets, so he said I should do the research and buy the socket myself

Last edited:
We recently had an electrician fit a 3-pin external socket, but now we have our new Tesla I would like to change it for a 32A commando socket. (Not planning on getting a dedicated EV charger for now). The electrician said it would be a straight swap from the old 3-pin socket to a 32A commando socket, but for reasons that aren't relevant*, I need to buy the socket myself, but I know nothing about electrics.....can anyone advise/recommend an appropriate 32A outlet/socket I can buy which can be used as a straight swap for a 3-pin? There are so many online and I don't understand some of the comments about voltages and whether additional fuses would be required etc., Thanks in advance

*If anyone cares: the electrician is great but expensive. He wants to charge ~£200 to come swap the socket cos he has to charge a half-day minimum to come out, even though he said its a straight swap. Meanwhile, we have our general handyman coming here anyway next week to do some jobs, and he is happy to do the socket too, but he has no experience with commando sockets, so he said I should do the research and buy the socket myself
This will do :

However I would be wary of not using an approved electrician for the job for safety & insurance reasons.
Also I believe it's only a staight swap if your 3 pin socket was already on its own dedicated 32A circuit, protected by the adequate RCBO in your consumer unit.

Last edited by a moderator:
We recently had an electrician fit a 3-pin external socket, but now we have our new Tesla I would like to change it for a 32A commando socket for faster charging. (Not planning on getting a dedicated EV charger for now). The electrician said it would be a straight swap from the old 3-pin socket to a 32A commando socket, but for reasons that aren't relevant*, I need to buy the socket myself, but I know nothing about electrics.....can anyone advise/recommend an appropriate 32A outlet/socket I can buy which can be used as a straight swap for a 3-pin? There are so many online and I don't understand some of the comments about voltages and whether additional fuses would be required etc., Thanks in advance

Not sure if this will help you out?

Commando Socket Advice

This will do :

However I would be wary of not using an approved electrician for the job for safety & insurance reasons.
Also I believe it's only a staight swap if your 3 pin socket was already on its own dedicated 32A circuit, protected by the adequate RCBO in your consumer unit.
Thanks a lot! Yes tbh I may eventually just give in and get our actual electrician to do it.

I don't know what he did when he fitted our existing outdoor socket. All I know is that we had a double 3-pin socket inside in exactly the right position for where we wanted the socket outside, and I believe he just connected it somehow to the inside one. He definitely didn't wire the outdoor socket directly to our fuse box. But he seemed very confident when I spoke to him that it would be a straight swap from the existing to a 32A commando 🤷‍♂️

This will do :

Be wary of this one depending on where you install as only rated to IP44 which is only splash proof, scroll down and see the questions & answers etc 👍

Reactions: adambg and WllXM
Thanks a lot! Yes tbh I may eventually just give in and get our actual electrician to do it.

I don't know what he did when he fitted our existing outdoor socket. All I know is that we had a double 3-pin socket inside in exactly the right position for where we wanted the socket outside, and I believe he just connected it somehow to the inside one. He definitely didn't wire the outdoor socket directly to our fuse box. But he seemed very confident when I spoke to him that it would be a straight swap from the existing to a 32A commando 🤷‍♂️
A 32amp commando being used for EV charging needs to be on its own circuit. It sounds like the electrician tapped into an existing ring circuit. The swap may be easy but it won't meet regs. If it's outside you will also want to make sure it has suitable weather protection.