Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

32A Three phase charger on single phase (non US)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

P100D_Me

Nov 12, 2018
Australia
Hi All,

I have the 32A 3phase charger sitting in a box ready to install (was given to me). I am not running three phase to it (way too hard due to fuse box location). I do however have a single phase 240V 20A socket in the garage that was put there for welders etc which I want to use.
Looking over the installation manual it looks like this charger can run on single phase no problem, however there is some wording that isn't very clear to me. Under Single Phase without neutral....

"For installations without a neutral and 230V from line to line, connect any two lines (L1, L2, or L3 in the illustration) to the L1 and neutral positions on the Wall Connector terminal block".

I read that as connect L2 and L3 to L1, in other words connect all three phase inputs together if only single phase is available. The diagram does not show that by the way.

Thanks.

Attachments

• SinglePhase.png
    SinglePhase.png
    20.7 KB · Views: 349
"For installations without a neutral and 230V from line to line, connect any two lines (L1, L2, or L3 in the illustration) to the L1 and neutral positions on the Wall Connector terminal block".

I read that as connect L2 and L3 to L1, in other words connect all three phase inputs together if only single phase is available. The diagram does not show that by the way.
Then why would you interpret it that way and tie two wires onto one terminal? The diagram shows exactly how it's done.

"connect any two lines to the L1 and neutral positions"
So you have two phase wires, and it says to connect them to these two terminals:
(1) L1
(2) neutral

That's pretty straightforward.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP and P100D_Me
Hi All,

I have the 32A 3phase charger sitting in a box ready to install (was given to me). I am not running three phase to it (way too hard due to fuse box location). I do however have a single phase 240V 20A socket in the garage that was put there for welders etc which I want to use.
Looking over the installation manual it looks like this charger can run on single phase no problem, however there is some wording that isn't very clear to me. Under Single Phase without neutral....

Thanks.
If you are in Australia, your 20A socket's power should be L - N - G. Line, Neutral, and Ground. The passage you quoted does not apply since your grid is not the type described. Follow the instructions with the heading "230V Single-Phase Wye-Connected". Do not connect anything to L2 and L3.

Just to check my work, I believe the grid in Australia is 3-phase 240Y415V which means that the Neutral is tied to ground and the voltage from Neutral to any L1/L2/L3 is 240V and the voltage between any L1/L2/L3 is 415V. If you can confirm that this is not true for your location, then disregard this post.

TWC 3-ph Wye Connection.jpg

Thanks Miimura, Neutral is tied to ground in our wiring.
Although I have 3 phase in the fuse box I am pretty sure most of the house (GPO's) run off the L1 feed only, the three phase only runs to some dedicated appliances.
So my situation is from the single phase 240V / 20A socket to the charger I have the Gnd to Gnd, N to N and L1 to L1. L2 and L3 are not connected in the charger.
The charger powers up, green light is on with no warning lights, self test runs ok but when I plug the car in to charge I get no light on the charger port at all and a message on the cluster saying 'no mains power'.
So I am a bit lost if the charger isn't allowing the charge to commence because it isn't happy with the mains inputs or the charger is actually faulty (even though self tests are ok).
When the charger does its self test I can hear the relay click like it would when a charge begins, it just never does that when plugged in to the car.

Make sure the rotary switch inside is in the correct position for your 20 amp circuit - Position 6. If you need to change it, make sure to cut the power first. The Wall Connector ships in the "0" position which is Test Mode. It won't charge the car in that position.

I definitely set that rotary switch up all ok (to position 6).
I rang the guy that gave me the charger as it was used, he said oh yeah sometimes you have to wiggle it in the car charge port and it will start charging!! Sure enough it did (yes that is a worry), but at least I am now charging at 5KW which is fine for me.