Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

330 vs Model 3: BMW, the 20th century is calling, they want their car back!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tomas

Out of warranty...
Supporting Member
Oct 22, 2012
Santa Barbara/New York
I've owned 10 BMWs, going back to 1966 2000ti. But haven't driven a new one for some time. 90+% of my driving since 2012 has been my Model S or my Model 3, or my eGolf. 10% in 2012 BMW X1. So yesterday, when my flight had a mechanical out of Santa Barbara and I had to drive one way to LAX, and National offered me 2020 BMW 330 for $80 premium, I had to check it out.

Getting in, what a shock. During a stop, I counted them. 75 buttons or controls. Plus on screen menus. Could not find ANYTHING! I'm sure the car had TACC, but darned if I could find it. I'm sure it had Nav, but couldn't find that either. Wasn't on the main screen menu anyway, and not evident on a switch or button. Even adjusting the side mirrors... non-intuitive controls. The instrument cluster and infotainment screen... former non-functional and silly, latter primitive and useless. I longed for the single screen interface. Or maybe my spartan 2002 dash, where the most important of the 10 controls was the choke knob.

When I started driving, I listened for all the quiet I was expecting. BMW advocates often knock the 3's road and wind noise. Well, this thing had the loudest road noise I've ever heard over rough pavement - maybe the run-flats BMW loves? And wind noise was worse than either of my 2 3's. So was sound insulation. I could hear every car around me.

Acceleration, steering, braking - again felt primitive vs. 3. And it is very hard to go back from EV torque and regenerative braking.

What was good about it? The seats were comfortable and supporting - better than model 3. I'll give them that. And it did have that autobahn feel where it seems to dig in at 70+, quiet down, and handle better. But how much of my driving is done at that speed?

All in all, no thanks. Driving it made me feel as if I went back in time 20 years.

I've owned 10 BMWs, going back to 1966 2000ti. But haven't driven a new one for some time. 90+% of my driving since 2012 has been my Model S or my Model 3, or my eGolf. 10% in 2012 BMW X1. So yesterday, when my flight had a mechanical out of Santa Barbara and I had to drive one way to LAX, and National offered me 2020 BMW 330 for $80 premium, I had to check it out.

Getting in, what a shock. During a stop, I counted them. 75 buttons or controls. Plus on screen menus. Could not find ANYTHING! I'm sure the car had TACC, but darned if I could find it. I'm sure it had Nav, but couldn't find that either. Wasn't on the main screen menu anyway, and not evident on a switch or button. Even adjusting the side mirrors... non-intuitive controls. The instrument cluster and infotainment screen... former non-functional and silly, latter primitive and useless. I longed for the single screen interface. Or maybe my spartan 2002 dash, where the most important of the 10 controls was the choke knob.

When I started driving, I listened for all the quiet I was expecting. BMW advocates often knock the 3's road and wind noise. Well, this thing had the loudest road noise I've ever heard over rough pavement - maybe the run-flats BMW loves? And wind noise was worse than either of my 2 3's. So was sound insulation. I could hear every car around me.

Acceleration, steering, braking - again felt primitive vs. 3. And it is very hard to go back from EV torque and regenerative braking.

What was good about it? The seats were comfortable and supporting - better than model 3. I'll give them that. And it did have that autobahn feel where it seems to dig in at 70+, quiet down, and handle better. But how much of my driving is done at that speed?

All in all, no thanks. Driving it made me feel as if I went back in time 20 years.
You made me laugh. My dad and I used to joke that every button in a BMW has an engineer behind it. Every year, that button gets fractionally improved. If they don't, it gets removed and the engineer loses his job. Apparently, the BMW engineers are amazing, because no buttons have disappeared, they've only multiplied. Audi seems to be the same way.

I don't find my last BMW noisier, but I do notice I get more cross-wind noise. And the sport seats are the best, just the right amount of firmness. I think the Tesla could use the thigh extension piece.

I looked at the BMW 330 before purchasing my Tesla M3. The BMW dealer actually gave me his car for the weekend to "really experience the BMW feel" It is a nice car. The material quality is a step above my Tesla. My Tesla is a tech car. That is what I paid for. The driveline is better to me. I really like the single screen after having the car a couple of months. They are 2 different cars that may appeal to different people. Someone not a tech person would most likely prefer the BMW. Tesla's are a different animal and I can see the appeal of both. I am happy with my choice but understand that both cars have a market. Also the BMW was about 7K more than my SR+.

How certain are you that you were actually in a 2020 BMW 330?

Either National bamboozled you or you've got a weird sense of reality. Saying a 2020 330i has more road/wind noise than ANY tesla, is simply not true.
It was 2020, I looked at manual. I was not surprised by tire noise because I am familiar with run flats. I was surprised by the other road, traffic and wind noise. Much more than my last 2 BMWs, x1 and 545i. As I said in first sentence, I was bmw loyalist for decades, so not looking to trash them, just relaying my experience. To me, the model 3 is a better car except at 75+ Mph and seat comfort/support. Much better.

• Funny
Reactions: cdswm3
Acceleration, steering, braking - again felt primitive vs. 3. And it is very hard to go back from EV torque and regenerative braking

This. After years of driving my Model S, a couple of years ago, the drive unit had to be replaced and they didn’t have any Tesla loaners left, so they arranged for a Mercedes GLC instead. I remember getting in thinking exactly what you said - it felt like driving a laggy POS, and I was assaulted by buttons and controls. I texted some car-nut friends of mine my observations (they don’t have EV’s) and they dismissed me as a Tesla fanboy.

Life happened, and I’ve found myself driving a Mercedes GLK the past few months and it just frustrates me, especially the lag from pedal to motion. Braking is annoying too - I got so used to just lifting off the pedal.

Agree with your statement re: buttons. Absurd amount. I will agree that the fit/finish/quality of materials in a BMW, Mercedes, and for sure an Audi is better than Tesla, and I wouldn’t mind a slightly more “upscale” vs the minimal interior of a Tesla, but when it comes down to it, any negatives or reservations I have about the interior are FAR outweighed by the driving experience. But that’s just me.

My Model Y arrives this coming Wednesday. Bye bye Mercedes. Can’t wait.

Yeah, I had a BMW before my M3 and my wife drives an Audi Q5. The Audi has nice finishes inside and is quiet on the highway. Very comfortable long range cruiser. My BMW had impeccable steering and handling & was fun above 5500 rpm. But...laggy throttle response and way too many buttons. Funny thing is, I don't even like the exhaust note of an ICE car anymore. Seems so archaic spewing all that carbon out the backend. And the worst thing? Car makers putting ugly grills on their electric cars. What, because it identifies the brand?

BMW puts buttons in because people like buttons.
The BMW infotainment is the best of its kind - better than Teslas (remember big screen doesnt equal good infotainment).
The BMW 3 series has objectively less wind/road noise than a Tesla Model 3 at high speeds.
Even 90s BMWs have better seats than the Tesla Model 3.
The new 3 series from 2020 feels everything as much as a car as the Tesla Model 3 and does many things better.

Reactions: cucubits
Car makers putting ugly grills on their electric cars. What, because it identifies the brand?

EVs need cooling too.

Speaking of ugly grills, have you guys seen the new M3 and 4? I honestly thought the pics from a while ago were a joke but then I saw carwow's video and they actually made them like that. I can't believe how some higher ups and BMW saw that design and thought it was a good idea. They look ridiculous no matter how much one tries to like the car otherwise.

• Disagree
Reactions: PhilDavid
BMW puts buttons in because people like buttons.
The BMW infotainment is the best of its kind - better than Teslas (remember big screen doesnt equal good infotainment).
The BMW 3 series has objectively less wind/road noise than a Tesla Model 3 at high speeds.
Even 90s BMWs have better seats than the Tesla Model 3.
The new 3 series from 2020 feels everything as much as a car as the Tesla Model 3 and does many things better.
I guess you did not read my whole post!:)

Yeah, I had a BMW before my M3 and my wife drives an Audi Q5. The Audi has nice finishes inside and is quiet on the highway. Very comfortable long range cruiser. My BMW had impeccable steering and handling & was fun above 5500 rpm. But...laggy throttle response and way too many buttons. Funny thing is, I don't even like the exhaust note of an ICE car anymore. Seems so archaic spewing all that carbon out the backend. And the worst thing? Car makers putting ugly grills on their electric cars. What, because it identifies the brand?
I came from 2014 BMW 535 now have Tesla M3. BMW was comfy and maybe a little quieter but run flats were loud. But it was such a slug - underpowered compared to my M3 that I couldn’t ever go back .