TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

#34 Salvage auction

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by dhrivnak, Aug 27, 2013.

1. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

2. bart513

bart513 Member

I'll take the wheels and the CF sills!

3. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

@david

I think that you could fix this Roadster. :wink:

- - - Updated - - -

Then I just found out that it's a Signature Roadster. So I think that this Roadster deserves to be fixed.

4. sublimaze1

sublimaze1 8Dec2012 / Leeroy Jenkins

I would purhcase to restore. But whoever put that tape all over it, no doubt, has marred the finish. Not worth buffing it out.

5. PV1

PV1 Member

I was wondering if anybody knows what replacement body parts cost? Namely the driver's side door and quarter panel+charge port.

6. Adam Solar

Adam Solar New Member

Are there any other wrecked roadsters out there for parts? What portion of the rear components are lotus vs tesla? Anybody with some solid advice on what the repair will take? I want this car. I knew the owner and took it to the car show last year. I'm also currently winning the auction and debating how high to bid. Cheers.

7. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

Curious why the airbag deployed when the Roadster wasn't damaged in the front, where only the side/back is crashed....

8. richkae

richkae VIN587

Someone finds a wrecked Roadster being sold for salvage every couple of months, check the "Tesla for Sale" subforum. If you end up winning the auction - many people on this forum would love to see a long detailed video of you disassembling and reassembling parts of the car - especially the PEM.

9. Roadster22

Roadster22 Member

Wouldn't the battery be bricked if not being charged and that would be $40,000 alone to fix.

10. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

#10 wiztecy, Aug 29, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
    Considering that the charge port was smashed, there's no way they'd be able to keep the battery charged. Only if somehow the system detected a crash / short in the charge system and properly shut down, that would be the only hope there's still life for the battery. Otherwise I'd say its toast.

So back to my question... why'd the airbag deploy? Anyone? Anyone?

...so after looking around I found a Lotus Elise that was hit in the same area on the passenger side, only the passenger side airbag was deployed. So there must be some sensors that get triggered for side impacts.

11. djp

djp Roadster 2.0 VIN939

If the battery was fully charged when it crashed and all systems are down so the car isn't drawing any power then it should be good for a year or so. If they were smart they'd store it in a cool garage instead of letting it bake in the sun, but unfortunately doesn't look like it from the pics.

12. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

I'll buy those seats!

- - - Updated - - -

And door panels. :)

13. marco2228

marco2228 Roadster Signature #34

It's listed since 9 days.
    I thought about buying that roadster, as well.
    No body parts of the Lotus fit, as far as I can tell. Not sure about the chassis, but the subframe is torn out.

Still thinking about buying it, but the batterie is probably dead :(
    It had its accident in March, I guess.

But I want the drivetrain for my Porsche 912 :)

14. bart513

bart513 Member

We're building a team. Someone wants the seats, door panels, drive train. I want the wheels and the CF parts and if it has the original JVC single DIN nav head

15. marco2228

marco2228 Roadster Signature #34

#15 marco2228, Aug 29, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
    Who is the team leader? I'd seriously take the drivetrain and the whole electronics incl. the BMS. Otherwise I won't get it running. But don't need the JVC :p

16. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Windshield and top are the same. The tops are interchangeable but I have not heard of anyone swapping the windscreen.

Tesla says 7 percent of the Roadster is Lotus.

- - - Updated - - -

If the car is being parted I can come up with a "nice to have" longer list. (even if this car does not have them) I'm putting dibs in.

Soft top
    Coolant overflow bottle
    Mud flaps
    Carbon fiber wing
    Carbon Fiber hood slats
    Tesla front badge

17. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

This thread reminds me of a swarm of hawks eying up a roadkill!

18. thefortunes

thefortunes Member

I don't even have my Roadster yet (hopefully Saturday) and am looking at pictures of #34 to see if I can use anything :confused:

19. Roadster22

Roadster22 Member

#19 Roadster22, Aug 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2013
    The car looked so amazing back before the accident :( Here is a post of when it was for sale from SweetCars:

"Hi guys.

I work for a smaller high-end dealership in Fort Wayne, IN, and we have had a 2008 Tesla Roadster that is #034 with 4779 miles and was formerly Leonardi DiCaprio's car. VIN# is 5YJRE11B381000034

We only have the one, so we're not trying to sell a ton of these, we just want to give you, the enthusiasts, a chance to purchase this beautiful car.

The car has a clean CarFax, shows no accidents, we are the 3rd "owner". It does come with the 240V charger, hardtop, soft-top, and emergency charger.

I will let the pictures do the talking.

We are selling the car for $76,000.

We are willing to ship the car at the buyer's expense, but we will help arrange an enclosed transport at no extra fee.

If I am forgetting something or if you would like more information, please don't hesitate to PM me or call me directly at 260-207-2277. Ask for Tim, I will be more than happy to assist you all.

And now for the pictures:
    IMG_1732.jpg
    IMG_1738.jpg
    IMG_1764-1.jpg
    IMG_1759-1.jpg
    IMG_1757-1.jpg
    IMG_1716.jpg "

It was LD's car ! Also some of the pics if you look close seem to show the Signature plaque between the seats.

20. bart513

bart513 Member

Hey I have the CF pieces haha. But seriously all those interested in piecing this out and willing to chip in let's make a go!