Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

#340 Red Santa Barbara

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's an idea that's been around. When a car that's been in an accident shows up on the forum, typically someone asks if the salvage yard has it plugged in to preserve the battery.

(See for example this thread: Damaged #1207 )

The thing is, I'm not sure Tesla wants to be swapping battery packs from physically damaged cars. There's probably some way they can go about verifying a battery pack is still ok, but I'm not sure it's worth it to them. There's always some risk with a potentially damaged pack and it's likely not worth the liability.

I hope whoever buys this "bricked" Roadster is a battery expert and does the laborious process of resurrecting the pack just to snub this guy and all of the others spreading FUD. I almost want to try and buy it, then drive the resurrected car to his house and call him out on being an idiot.

Stupid question, but are all Roadster battery packs the same from V1 to V2.5?...
Not a stupid question. I don't know the answer to that. They redesigned a lot of stuff between 1.5 and 2.0, for instance the PEM & Motor, but I haven't heard if the ESS/battery-pack changed too.

Trying to move a battery pack from one Roadster might be "hit or miss" depending.
I suspect that Tesla would prefer that no one other than their own technicians ever try that.

Last edited:
(Not sure why that blogger has the repair estimate, if he doesn't own the car...)

Mr. DeGusta, the blogger, and Mr. Drucker, the Roadster owner, have been buisness associates for many years and are partners in at least four businesses.

The Tesla Bricking controversy could smash Tesla Motors

[...]Michael DeGusta (the author of the blog post reposted by Jalopnik) and Max Drucker are long-time business partners. A bit of googling on their names turns up a listing in CorporationWiki showing the two are partners in four businesses. Further down in the results, in a November 2000 article on InsuranceTech.com, DeGusta is described as Drucker's "partner in crime". Eleven years later (today) we have DeGusta writing a blog post, claiming to be an innocent bystander with no interest in the outcome, but in reality his business partner has taken a large loss due to the design flaw described in that blog post. Hence is DeGusta really a disinterested bystander? That seems unlikely. Is he a "partner in crime" to a man who owns a now-bricked Tesla Roadster? Hard to say.

Larry

Lets keep this post focused on the car, VIN 340.

Would the Tesla log show how long the car was unplugged for?
Cross posting this here.
Tesla Documents

original.jpg

Mr. DeGusta, the blogger, and Mr. Drucker, the Roadster owner, have been buisness associates for many years and are partners in at least four businesses.

The Tesla Bricking controversy could smash Tesla Motors

Seen here first in a DrudgeReport....I mean TeslaMotorsClub....

siren.gif

** WORLD EXCLUSIVE**
**Must Credit the Tesla Motors Club**

[url]http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/7648-Do-you-know-that-you-must-keep-your-battery-charged/page24?p=115930&viewfull=1#post115930

Tesla Motors Club member dpeilow commented on the original greencarreports.com article which identified Max Drucker as the owner and included the link to the above post about Drucker's connection to the blogger, Michael DeGusta. GreenCarReports then updated their article to note their business relationship.

Is Tesla 'Bricking' Story Just An Angry Owner's Warranty Claim?

Note: I have no idea what motives Drucker or DeGusta had but thought some people might want to know their personal connection.

Last edited: