Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$35 paint job (Sonic Carbon alternative)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
5F38BB90-9D04-477E-A23C-42C0E636750F.jpg
Here is my previous P85D Pearl White it's the Winter wheels.

Reactions: Boourns
Maybe it's because I haven't had my coffee yet, but I am having a hard time envisioning how you get the inside of the wheel covered in plastic. Do you have to reach around the tire and do it from the back with your arm shoved in the wheel well?

I'm trying to figure out how he got that plastic behind the wheels to stay in place. That's where I had a mess when I did this.
Maybe it's because I haven't had my coffee yet, but I am having a hard time envisioning how you get the inside of the wheel covered in plastic. Do you have to reach around the tire and do it from the back with your arm shoved in the wheel well?

I have never used Plasti-Dip but maybe do the wheels on my TM3. I have watched several You Tube videos on the technique. You work the plastic that protects the calipers and brake discs from the outside through the open spokes. It looks fairly easy IF you have open spoke wheels! If you have wheels that are relatively closed spoke, it works better to remove the wheels before applying the dip.

Be aware, that people who have used Plasti-Dip on their wheels that black color seems to work the best and is most forgiving. Those who have tried to use other colors, like white, have had less than satisfactory results. Do your own due diligence before applying a color different from black.

I have never used Plasti-Dip but maybe do the wheels on my TM3. I have watched several You Tube videos on the technique. You work the plastic that protects the calipers and brake discs from the outside through the open spokes. It looks fairly easy IF you have open spoke wheels! If you have wheels that are relatively closed spoke, it works better to remove the wheels before applying the dip.

Be aware, that people who have used Plasti-Dip on their wheels that black color seems to work the best and is most forgiving. Those who have tried to use other colors, like white, have had less than satisfactory results. Do your own due diligence before applying a color different from black.

Cool. Thanks for the reply. I have the classic 19'' stock wheels, which are pretty open, so it seems like a pretty easy process. I'm off to youtube to watch some videos.

I'm trying to figure out how he got that plastic behind the wheels to stay in place. That's where I had a mess when I did this.
I used very thin plastic sheeting that came in a cheapo paint kit I had on hand. I used slightly more than what was needed and the volume kept the sheeting in place.

If anyone does this, be sure that the plastic sheeting doesn't touch the back of the wheel face. The rubber on the edges will dry, sheeting will stick to it, and the rubber could be ripped off when the sheeting is taken out.

I was thinking this also but looked at a few youtube videos and dipyourcar.com video and it looks pretty easy. I WILL be doing this and soon. Also surprised the dipyourcar.com guy did not cover the tires or car from over spray. He just peeled it off the tires. I am assuming the over spray on this type paint is very minimal?

I was thinking this also but looked at a few youtube videos and dipyourcar.com video and it looks pretty easy. I WILL be doing this and soon. Also surprised the dipyourcar.com guy did not cover the tires or car from over spray. He just peeled it off the tires. I am assuming the over spray on this type paint is very minimal?

No, there is this cream in the kit that you spread on the tires. This will prevent the spray from sticking to the tires, so it peels off.

Reactions: voltaren
No, there is this cream in the kit that you spread on the tires. This will prevent the spray from sticking to the tires, so it peels off.
I didn't use the dipyourcar kit, but I think the stuff they apply is similar to rainx. It was super easy to use playing cards and plastic sheeting, so either method works well.

I'm extremely happy with how it turned out regardless. I'm not leasing, but if you are, it's the way to go. I now think this is the way to go even if you paid cash. It looks awesome.

To remove dip, I'm not sure I'd try paint thinner, as it would affect the wheels. WD-40 is a cheap plast-dip dissolver however... and doesn't seem to harm most things. (Other than plastic). They sell an overpriced spray remover for $20 or so. but I find WD-40 does the same thing for 1/4 the price and way less caustic smells...

First hit with google "wd40 plasti dip"

What I love, maybe more than the dip color, is the brand new wheel look under it. PA road chemicals and winter salt are murder on wheels.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: vandacca
To remove dip, I'm not sure I'd try paint thinner, as it would affect the wheels. WD-40 is a cheap plast-dip dissolver however... and doesn't seem to harm most things. (Other than plastic). They sell an overpriced spray remover for $20 or so. but I find WD-40 does the same thing for 1/4 the price and way less caustic smells...

First hit with google "wd40 plasti dip"

What I love, maybe more than the dip color, is the brand new wheel look under it. PA road chemicals and winter salt are murder on wheels.

Use Naptha.