Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$3500 price difference for Model 3 Long Range AWD vs Performance. Which one should I go with?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess I’m in the minority where the LR is plenty fast for me. I thought for sure I’d buy the AB within days of taking delivery but we definitely don’t need it.
Then we are both in the “minority“ 😂

The M3LR is super fun! I was thinking I would “be sneaky” and slip an acceleration boost in just for fun but the M3LR is just fun as is. We got 6” of snow last week here and moved to “chill mode”. I just literally got our new winter tires, wheels, TPMS sensors this morning.

There definitely isn’t a right or wrong answer. Personal preferences!

Reactions: phishphan
Can you specify the 18in wheels when ordering the P?

Originally the 18" wheels were the default (this got you a car physically identical to the LR AWD, but running P software).... and there was an option package on the P for $5000 that added the bigger brakes, 20" wheels, and very slightly lowered suspension (also the sport pedals I think?). That's why a "full" P ended up being $16,000 more than LR AWD at the time (or "only" 11k more if you skipped the 20" package).

After a few months they decided to make the option package standard.

This was all back in 2018.

Since then the original no-big-wheels-or-brakes version has been available on and off, though typically not via new website orders, from time to time, and usually at a MUCH smaller premium than previous to the LR AWD.

I bought the LR and added boost. I think at the time the delta was 7 or 8k and the M3P was lowered a bit. I didn't want the worse ride quality and I knew with the 20" Ubers my wife would mangle the crap out of them. All the demo M3Ps I saw were curb rashed to hell. Also knew I'd need snow tires as well for at least 3 months out of the year.

I couldn't justify spending the extra money and just hassling with sell the 20" wheels and the extra range of the 18's on the LR mattered. Within a week or 2 I added boost to the LR after getting it. Worked out to be the perfect setup for me. TBH, the stock LR is pretty damn quick. I really don't use the acceleration as much as I originally thought I would.

Now after about 10k miles in of ownership, I probably would have been fine with just leaving the LR stock so to speak. My wife drives it in chill mode. The wheels are curbed to hell but actually it is the hub caps that took the abuse. I never once regret not buying the M3P. I don't miss track mode. I don't care about the spoiler and the LR is still quicker than the vast majority of cars you'll find on the street. Insurance was cheaper for me by a lot when I shopped the LR vs P but YMMV.

Now if Tesla had made a "proper" M3P, I'd be a lot more interested in it. If they had taken an approach like the 'M' BMWs or AMG Benzes, I'd like have bought in. Additionally if they ever come out with a better M3P, the resale will likely take a bigger hit since it is the top of the line so to speak.

At the current price delta though, absolutely no point considering the LR and adding boost. The P is a much better value by far. I think the LR is overpriced at its current MSRP. Doing it over again, with such a small differential in price, I might just go for the P now that the suspension seems to be the same. It pretty much is just an LR with an extra dose of acceleration boost thrown in. It still tapers off above 60 just like the LR.

So for the small delta, if you can work with the summer wheels, then go for it if 0-60 times really matter that much to you. If just using it as a fun daily driver, the base LR is still quick and fun to drive.

Depends on what you use the car for and what part of your life you are in. For me LR AWD was the right choice for the extra bit of range, the amount of times we've put home in the navigation and got something like you'll get there a 2%, would have meant a lot of extra(over the last 4 years) charging stops with a performance model

Not sure if anyone has brought this up - but there will be a difference in resale value as well. There are fewer performance models and the buyers will be willing to pay more to get one. So, the delta may be less than you think - in fact, it may be cheaper to get the P in terms of overall ownership cost. You can put cheaper, all season tires, on a P if you want to.

Not sure if anyone has brought this up - but there will be a difference in resale value as well. There are fewer performance models and the buyers will be willing to pay more to get one. So, the delta may be less than you think - in fact, it may be cheaper to get the P in terms of overall ownership cost. You can put cheaper, all season tires, on a P if you want to.
As I mentioned in my post, the counter point to that is if they ever come out with a "better" performance model, the current one is yesterday's news. It will likely take a bigger hit in depreciation then.

Let's be real, Tesla didn't do a lot to differentiate the LR from the P. And for a 50-60K+ car, they should have options like ventilated and cooled seats. They are priced like a premium/luxury car but definitely a lot less content/user comfort features than other cars in this price class.

As I mentioned in my post, the counter point to that is if they ever come out with a "better" performance model, the current one is yesterday's news. It will likely take a bigger hit in depreciation then.

Let's be real, Tesla didn't do a lot to differentiate the LR from the P. And for a 50-60K+ car, they should have options like ventilated and cooled seats. They are priced like a premium/luxury car but definitely a lot less content/user comfort features than other cars in this price class.
It wasn’t really an expensive car…in fact I thought is WAS well priced…but if you optioned it up to a LR or P then it was expensive. They could have offered extra options like vented seats etc but it would have cost more…just like buying any car or boat or…

It wasn’t really an expensive car…in fact I thought is WAS well priced…but if you optioned it up to a LR or P then it was expensive. They could have offered extra options like vented seats etc but it would have cost more…just like buying any car or boat or…

I felt the M3P was the best priced car in the segment and a much better value than the LR or SR when I bought the car. In 2019, it was priced around mid $50k with the incentives and price wise, it was cheaper than a base BMW 340. It was also much much faster than the F80 M3 and much cheaper too. The only luxury item missing was the ventilated seats but the car offered other tech amenities such as Sentry mode. The Model 3 is a entry level sports sedan and I don't really think its a luxury car by any means. In terms of value, its really hard to beat.

Reactions: ODWms and Bouba
I bit the bullet and just upgraded my LR to a Performance. I wasn’t planning on tracking the car even though I have a bit of track experience in my C6 GS and C8 Corvettes. Now the possibility exists but I’ll start with just autocross events in the Tesla.

Reactions: tm1v2
LR with Acceleration Boost, 18" wheels, white interior and cheap Chinese gooberturbine covers is the best combination IMO. 358 mile range, better ride quality and $50 fix if you scrape a wheel cover.
If you replace the stock wheels with 18s on the Performance, its the same ride quality and range is similar. So for $1500 additionally, you are getting a faster car with Track Mode and better brakes.

Reactions: Petsur
I have a 2023 Tesla Model 3 Long Range AWD on order with 19” wheels. Price $59,500

I realized I can get the performance model for only $3,500 more at $63,000

For those with an LR AWD, if you were to go back and buy again, would an extra $3500 for the performance be a no brainer?

I definitely want more practicality in a car than performance, but for an extra $3500 it seems like too good of a value to not at least consider the upgrade.

And with the 19” wheels on the LR AWD, the extra 15-20 epa estimated range compared to the Performance doesn’t seem to be sacrificing much.

While with the Performance I do worry about extra costs in tires and insurance

What are your thoughts?
Me, for that delta I would pick the performance model. I would definitely change to 18 inch rims as potholes love 20's.
I have the lr awd with boost. I wouldn't be eligible for the nj rebate when I purchased which drove my decision which I am happy with. Not that big a difference in acceleration

I’m happy with my M3LR....it goes fast enough...which is code for the wife won’t let me buy Boost...but if I was to trade it in for a Model Y...I would get a Performance just to keep the same driving experience

Last edited:
I’m happy with my M3LR....it goes fast enough...which is code for the wife won’t let me buy Boost...but if I was to trade it in for a Model Y...I would get a Performance just to keep the same driving experience
Get the boost, you know you want it. 😎

Just put it in chill mode when your wife is in the car. The big plus for me is that even at a low SoC, the boosted LR is faster than the base LR ever was a t a full charge. You have that "freshly full charged" feeling. I could be at 20% SoC and it was about .2 tenths faster to 60 than it was at 100% charge without boost.

I have to say over the months, my wife has adapted a bit. I slowly upped the acceleration game here and there. I wouldn't get on it hard from a stop but do an easy roll off the line and then get on it progressively harder.

I didn't realize how far she had progressed until I got on it pretty hard in our S which will positively destroy the M3LR in acceleration. I got on it fairly hard from a light as our kid wanted "vroom vrooms" which is code for hit the throttle daddy and I was in insane mode and hit it pretty hard. She never looked up from her phone.

So the next light our child wanted a "big" vroom vroom which is code for full throttle launch. Setup launch mode and nailed it. It launched all right and sprung from the blocks like Usain Bolt running the 100m. All I got from my wife was an "oohh" and a little exhale of breath. Our kid on was a lot more vocal about how fun it was and asked if we could do it again. I thought better than to push my luck and even though I didn't get one of those side-eye glances if you know what I mean.

So the de-sensitisation process has worked out well. I just started her out with micro-dosing and now we are pretty good other than full throttle launches from a stop. I haven't tried one in the 3 lately but it might be low enough she wouldn't really even notice. If I hit it at about 10mph and up, really no reaction for the most part. Obviously doing it in a safe place and no risk to family.

• Love
Reactions: dfwatt and Bouba
If you worry about the extra cost and care more about practicality than performance you should just get the LR. The LR already has plenty of performance and the added efficiency and cheaper tires of the LR will make the long-term price saving higher than that initial $3000 as time progresses.
The standarmodel 3 is great - LFP battery goes to 100 percent - if you want the Ev tax credit for 2023 keep the car under $55k - I did add the 19 inch wheels