Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$3500 price difference for Model 3 Long Range AWD vs Performance. Which one should I go with?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As folks have mentioned.....what are the NEED/WANTs in a vehicle?

VERY different for people....toss RESALE values for the time being out the window.

We replaced a 2005.5 Jetta TDI for a Tesla Model 3 LR. Was is the best choice? For us it certainly was with 210K miles on it and my wife deserved a new car.

In OUR situation....we already own a "track car", a "performance SUV", and a modified truck.......what did we look at?

1. Range in cold climates here in Colorado.
2. Who will be the PRIMARY driver and for WHAT it will/is used for.
3. PRICE! We all do look at it from one aspect to another.

We went with the M3LR for all of the above reasons. Last year prices have fluctuated, but spending funds on the performance model did not meet our situation. We just purchased new wheels/tires/TPMS for a dedicated winter set. WAY less than getting a M3P for the price difference and funds to spare for acceleration boost if SHE wanted it.

For us....this is simply a "utility car" that needs to get my wife to and from work RELIABLY and the extra bonus is that is is VERY FUN to drive!

Not one single person can tell you what is your best purchase decision at all!

For folks looking at this post:

Get the car YOU are happy with! Don't sweat the details!

As folks have mentioned.....what are the NEED/WANTs in a vehicle?

VERY different for people....toss RESALE values for the time being out the window.

We replaced a 2005.5 Jetta TDI for a Tesla Model 3 LR. Was is the best choice? For us it certainly was with 210K miles on it and my wife deserved a new car.

In OUR situation....we already own a "track car", a "performance SUV", and a modified truck.......what did we look at?

1. Range in cold climates here in Colorado.
2. Who will be the PRIMARY driver and for WHAT it will/is used for.
3. PRICE! We all do look at it from one aspect to another.

We went with the M3LR for all of the above reasons. Last year prices have fluctuated, but spending funds on the performance model did not meet our situation. We just purchased new wheels/tires/TPMS for a dedicated winter set. WAY less than getting a M3P for the price difference and funds to spare for acceleration boost if SHE wanted it.

For us....this is simply a "utility car" that needs to get my wife to and from work RELIABLY and the extra bonus is that is is VERY FUN to drive!

Not one single person can tell you what is your best purchase decision at all!

For folks looking at this post:

Get the car YOU are happy with! Don't sweat the details!
And yes, I am slowly making progress convincing my wife to get a Model 3. If we got her a Performance, it would probably stay in Chill Mode most of the time. So, it will almost certainly be an LR, and it will almost certainly remain stock or near-stock.

Reactions: ColoradoMike
Yeah brilliant, except for the whole money thing. There’s always something better
I mean, within a certain model or class, there is always the “best” one and then “the others.” We all have reasons for not getting “The Best” ones (I’d have an MSP if not for that pesky 70k extra Id need :p ), but the answers are always simpler when you have the “best” one…

MS Plaid Owner:
-“I drive a Model S Plaid”
—“Holy crap wow!”

M3P Owner:
-“I drive a Model 3 Performance.”
—“Oh wow does it have Ludricous Mode?”
-“This model is always at full power”
—“Wow sweet!”

M3LR Owner:
-“I drive a Tesla”
—“Cool, Which Model?”
-“A Model 3 Long Range. I thought about getting the Performance but I wanted the range for seeing the world. I also got the acceleration boost which puts them pretty much even for a lot less money. There are even some YouTube videos where mine with the Acceleration Boost actually beats the “Performance Model.” Plus who would take a brand new car to the track so I didn’t want to pay for the track mode features I would never use.”
—“Ah…well cool”

You hear the same exchanges from the “second best” BMW owners, from the non-turbo Supra drivers, from Crossfitters who almost joined the military, etc. Not judging, but for anyone who is “into cars” and reading this thread debating, I just want to paint an accurate picture of what their experience will be like :p .

Back in the old days Tesla sold the a car with Performance software but regular LR brakes, 18/19 rims and minor suspension diffs. For California where plenty of potholes will take out your rim+tire, something to think about on the new one

So my 2018 Stealth Performance has Mountain Pass brake+rotor upgrades cause I wanted them (only slightly less stealthy, no one notices) and 19" rims from LR to better protect against potholes. Mentioned early on was if you got the Performance consider downsizing unless you truly have glass smooth roads :) Also ride better on 19 if you care about that.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lindenwood
A lot is made about how delicate the bigger wheels are...but little is said about the car grounding with the smaller wheels...the other day I couldn’t drive my M3LR with 18in wheels to my hotel room because the drive was too rough...
My early morning brain is having trouble with this math.

Changing rim size normally has corresponding tire sidewall change making overall height of wheel+tire the same (close as to not matter). Additionally the Performance cars used to be (still are?) every so slightly lower to the ground (sport suspension) and the standard LR should have that tiny bit better clearance.

Last edited:
Reactions: tm1v2
As said Noone can really answer this question for you. However, take a look at your personal value proposition. When I purchased my LRAWD, the value propsition favored the LRAWD and add Acceleration boost, things have changed in the pricing quite a bit now, Making the same decision with the pricing today, I would chose the Performance. No matter how much I try, I'm the type that will probably end up changing wheels/tires anyway, and I always run Winter tires anyway (because well Colorado)

(Also, I do fully acknowledge that when the price difference was north of 10k with nothing but a software change, the value difference was SIGNIFICANTLY different then even a year ago, let alone today, and most people would make a different decision. And the fact that you can’t order an LR in the states right now means we will have a lot of Ps on the road in the next while, probably many of whom don’t really even care about the performance aspects…)

Reactions: 804son
(Also, I do fully acknowledge that when the price difference was north of 10k with nothing but a software change, the value difference was SIGNIFICANTLY different then even a year ago, let alone today, and most people would make a different decision. And the fact that you can’t order an LR in the states right now means we will have a lot of Ps on the road in the next while, probably many of whom don’t really even care about the performance aspects…)

I don't see many Ps at all. I think if people are being forced to choose the M3P or MY LR, they are just choosing the MYLR based on price. It will be even more lopsided once the tax credit goes into affect...the MY LR will be a good deal cheaper than a M3P.

We are very happy with our 2020 LR, not the Performance. When I was looking at them pre-order in November 2019 I was told the ground clearance was lower with the Performance model; they are now listed the same in the manual at 5.5 inches (140 mm). This was a concern because we are often on dirt roads with limited clearance and I thought lower would be worse. I was also concerned about less rubber with the P tires, as we get flats. (Subsequent experience with the M3 has proven that getting the thicker tires was a good thing). Ride quality was a consideration.

I have always enjoyed cars and have never had a car with this kind of acceleration. So far I have not had a need, or even a desire, to have a faster 0-60 time and I don't go to tracks. My wife is not a car person and looks at cars as appliances. I was afraid her test drive in the Tesla would result in a veto due to the acceleration, but she was OK with it, although she does not utilize it as I do, as in passing. Jjrandorin above brought up the good idea of switching to "chill" mode for people who are not comfortable with speed, but my wife has rejected this.

In terms of resale value, I am not concerned. In my suburban (close to urban) area, there are many Teslas and they are often driven by people who I am guessing are happy with the LR acceleration: older men and women like me who don't go to the track and don't have exciting roads to drive on.

LR is plenty fast but I would have regretted not getting another P3D after my old one got totaled by a stop sign running ass-clown.

If you don’t mind used, Tesla has some low mileage stealth performance with FSD for sale in the $50-$55k range. Best of both worlds if you don’t want to track the car. P3D acceleration with the 18” aero wheels. FSD, in my opinion, is only moderately useful, but I still like having it.