Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

350V 85/90 kWh - not Ludicrous compatible

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can’t speak to this specific issue. I’m not aware when the switch to 350V happened, but my old P85D had to have the batter replaced and they replaced it with a refurbished 90kWh pack. I also did not have Ludicrous on this pack. I can’t remember any of the numbers anymore, but I think I was only getting 1200amps with the new battery. I ended up getting it replaced of course and Tesla installed a V3 90 kWh. I was able to get the full 1600amps (up from 1500amps) in the 90kWh battery after the upgrade.

Oddly enough, my car would only go from 1500amps to 1600amps if the battery pre-conditioning was on. Otherwise it still peaked at 1500amps. It could be fully pre-conditioned and at operational temperature and if I toggled it off it would go down to 1500amps. I just assumed it was a weird glitch with my old car and the hardware mis-match.

Reactions: BrokerDon
Nothing new, I've decided not to do anything more about this since I now have a completely new battery with 434 km on 100% compared to 412 when the car was brand new, and the car is about 50-60 kg lighter since there is only 14 modules in a 350V compared to the 400V batteries.

The 'funny' thing is that I did a few measurements before the swapped the 'non ludicrous 85 kWh 350V' with the 'ludicrous 90 kWh 350V' and both packs peaked at about 1625A with ludicrous+ activated, so I don't know. What I do know is that I much prefer to have a brand new latest version of the battery in the car compared to a refurbished one :)

and the car is about 50-60 kg lighter since there is only 14 modules in a 350V compared to the 400V batteries.
I very much doubt that.

The 14 module 350v pack in your car now contains 7,224 cells.

The original 16 module 400v pack contained 7,104 cells.

Might be a wash between the extra cells and reduced packaging, coolant lines, management boards, etc etc - but it’s certainly not significantly lighter.

I very much doubt that.

The 14 module 350v pack in your car now contains 7,224 cells.

The original 16 module 400v pack contained 7,104 cells.

Might be a wash between the extra cells and reduced packaging, coolant lines, management boards, etc etc - but it’s certainly not significantly lighter.
I didn't know that, thank you! Could be interesting to if there is any weight difference and if so, what it is.

Reactions: ucmndd
If it puts out same Amps, the performance theoretically might be 12.5% lower due to the lower voltage. But in my experience, a 85 pack is much more sensitive on the temperature and SOC. My guess, you loose little bit on the maximum performance but you get an overall better performance, especially with low SOC because it doesn't throttle so early.

If it puts out same Amps, the performance theoretically might be 12.5% lower due to the lower voltage. But in my experience, a 85 pack is much more sensitive on the temperature and SOC. My guess, you loose little bit on the maximum performance but you get an overall better performance, especially with low SOC because it doesn't throttle so early.
It puts out more Amps than the old 85 kWh 400V, which was about 1500A, but the same Amps as the new 85 kWh 350V. But yes, that was my initial thought as well. Some has said that the new 100 kWh packs have lower internal resistance, which should compensate some for the lower voltage, but I don't know.

I know for a fact that Tesla is still installing the 350V battery in Ludicrous cars under warranty, so is it my service center that is not informed correctly or does Tesla have a larger issue with swapping the wrong batteries in customers cars?

I'm pretty sure what your SC requested wasn't a 350V pack at all. What I've learned is that the SC's request a replacement pack based on your vehicle configuration, i.e., a default replacement (which in your case would have well been a Ludicrous compatible pack and most likely an old re-manufactured pack just to get the order paperwork done). But, what Tesla ships is based on your vehicle VIN#, its configuration and, more importantly, the availability. The SC's do not control what Tesla ships.