Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

351 Mile Range!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right there with you @AAARSINIC I remember when you and i were getting ours. Mine was delivered dec 20th and does have a December build date. Yet somehow E battery. Dang it! As far as I am aware we have 1 person confirming with a service person that it is indeed the F battery that gets it but no broader confirmation. So maybe hope has dwindled but lives on as a slight glimmer :)

There still might be hope for the E battery packs.

green on Twitter

From @greentheonly on Twitter -
"also LR+ seems to work for all -F packs. Even people that did not get the new range initially are seemingly getting it now without any updates. I looked into it and basically Tesla changes "efficience package" variable in gateway config to 2. I wonder if it'll work on other packs...I did
not look too deeply into it, might also affect front motor firmware.
It's only looked at if you have raven (which seems to imply an E pack might work too, but I don't have a raven with an E pack to test)"

Right there with you @AAARSINIC I remember when you and i were getting ours. Mine was delivered dec 20th and does have a December build date. Yet somehow E battery. Dang it! As far as I am aware we have 1 person confirming with a service person that it is indeed the F battery that gets it but no broader confirmation. So maybe hope has dwindled but lives on as a slight glimmer :)
Its our bad luck :( Mine was built and delivered in last week of December still its E. Better to not think about range update and enjoy all other features ( when get a chance to drive - "Shelter in Place" :( )

I’m still holding on to a tiny bit of hope. I know that it’s only a few miles, but the difference in title alone between long range and longe range plus is bound to have differences in value down the road.

There still might be hope for the E battery packs.

green on Twitter

From @greentheonly on Twitter -
"also LR+ seems to work for all -F packs. Even people that did not get the new range initially are seemingly getting it now without any updates. I looked into it and basically Tesla changes "efficience package" variable in gateway config to 2. I wonder if it'll work on other packs...I did
not look too deeply into it, might also affect front motor firmware.
It's only looked at if you have raven (which seems to imply an E pack might work too, but I don't have a raven with an E pack to test)"
Interesting. I have a service appointment later this week and I tacked on “long range plus” to the list. I’ll see what they have to say about the E battery, if anything.

Do you have details?
Well, the release notes said it's regen improvement. We know (from release notes and some other sources) big part of it is DU firmware update.

Not surprisingly if you don't brake (like when going down a non-busy highway) you don't need regen and so there's no energy recapture to help your overall consumption, then at high speed majority of energy expense is air resistance (and electric motors are already pretty efficient when converting energy into force)

Well, the release notes said it's regen improvement. We know (from release notes and some other sources) big part of it is DU firmware update.

Not surprisingly if you don't brake (like when going down a non-busy highway) you don't need regen and so there's no energy recapture to help your overall consumption, then at high speed majority of energy expense is air resistance (and electric motors are already pretty efficient when converting energy into force)
Got it. E battery Raven certainly got the regen boost in the firmware notes, I just didn’t know if this remote switch on to Long Range Plus changes any firmware additionally.

range update is largely a mirage it appears, unless you have lots of stop and go traffic or a really big downhill stretch on the way.

I don't think EPA would have increased rating if it was all a mirage.

It is curious what "hardware" changed to get the official new EPA Rating.

Is the "Plus" just a Label (along with appropriate calculations and estimates), or does it activate new DU Firmware.

Was the Regen update, the result of DU Firmware update? If all Raven's got that DU Firmware update (or Regen update) why wouldn't they increase the calculations for it on Raven's before Battery F?

I think I read that Performance Raven's with Battery E also got the Regen update.

If it was just the Battery F, why didn't Performance Raven's with Battery E also get a boost?

Is it a combination of Battery F and the more efficient rear Motor on the non Performance Raven's?

What puzzles me as well is why did they have to hold back deliveries until the firmware was released OTA?
Especially when it didn't even go active until recently for many people.

The whole thing is still a bizzare puzzle.

I don't think EPA would have increased rating if it was all a mirage.
it's not *all* mirage. Obviously in brake-heavy situations it helps. So part of the cycle got improved hence the range boost in the testing.

But unfortunately it's not the important part of the test that got the boost. You can also see this on the monroney sticker. where hwy efficiency is now less than city (used to be the other way around)

it's not *all* mirage. Obviously in brake-heavy situations it helps. So part of the cycle got improved hence the range boost in the testing.

But unfortunately it's not the important part of the test that got the boost. You can also see this on the monroney sticker. where hwy efficiency is now less than city (used to be the other way around)

It seems that they (so far) have tied the Long Range Plus to F revision battery packs. I'm thinking they also made some update to the battery pack design that increased efficiency?