Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

351 Mile Range!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have copied this from another thread so it's also here for readers:

I finally did my first range test of the 2020 Model X Long Range Plus. Software 2020.12.1.

Conditions:
50-60°F, I did not need the heater or AC. I had preheated the car and charged it to 100% or 352 mi indicated.
It is 4 miles to the freeway. I drove until ~56% SOC, then turned around without stopping and took the same route to eliminate wind factor. Wind was very light.
Used the Interstate 15 from Corona to almost Baker, California. Terrain involves a climb of about 3600 feet, but it occurs both ways.
Use TACC and Autosteering. Normal driving mode. 45 psi cold, 20" wheels. ~270lb of total cargo. Hitch was mounted, nothing on it.
Car/tires had ~250 miles on it.
Freeway driving was set at 75 mph, but had to slow to 70 mph at times, and had to pass at 85 mph a couple times. Pretty much like I drive in a 70 mph zone when I am not in hurry.

SOC start 100%, SOC end 14%, consumed 78.3kWh. Miles driven (odometer) 229.3mi 3h14m 342Wh/mi = 266.6 miles drop dead range. Battery holds 91 kWh.

Review - The Range estimator is basically a voltmeter with a table corrected to 100% = 354 miles maximum charge state. At 50% SOC it reads 177 miles, etc. Never trust it. It does not learn at all from what I can tell. ie - 20 miles indicated is not based on current driving efficiency.

Some people are going to be disappointed with the EPA range claim. You will have to drive slower than 75 to get over 300 miles out of the car out west. It does have more range than any SUV style EV, but do not plan based on 351 miles. It does not have 100 mile of extra freeway range over it's competition.

Is it really more range than the early Raven Long Range 100D models? That I cannot tell you.

Last edited:
Is it really more range than the early Raven Long Range 100D models? That I cannot tell you.

I think that's all anyone really wants to know.

My lifetime is with mostly all winter driving (Heater On) is better than what you got on that trip with a Raven LR X-

I expect to be well below EPA during Summer and I expect my lifetime will probably be close to EPA (Around 300 wh/mi).

That's pretty much how my Model 3 Performance (Stealth) worked out as well.

I think that's all anyone really wants to know.

My lifetime is with mostly all winter driving (Heater On) is better than what you got on that trip with a Raven LR X-

I expect to be well below EPA during Summer and I expect my lifetime will probably be close to EPA (Around 300 wh/mi).

That's pretty much how my Model 3 Performance (Stealth) worked out as well.

The test road I used and speed driven is actually one of the busiest Tesla routes. It's the south half of the Los Angeles <-> Las Vegas route. There is so much traffic here, on a 200 mile stretch there are 4 SC's - 10 / 16 / 18 / 40 stalls, and sometimes there is still waiting.

You will get better range if you don't climb mountains. We don't get that option out west. But it is indicative of normal long trip travel here.

To put it in perspective, the last >30 miles used 146 Wh/mi at 75 mph (look at picture). And there was a 40 mile area that was over 500 Wh/mi.

To do apples to apples, I would need somebody in this region to do the same test. I've tested other EVs on that route as well.

Review - The Range estimator is basically a voltmeter with a table corrected to 100% = 354 miles maximum charge state. At 50% SOC it reads 177 miles, etc. Never trust it. It does not learn at all from what I can tell. ie - 20 miles indicated is not based on current driving efficiency.

This is true (and I thought everybody knew this)

It depends.

On highway speeds with no regen it's exactly the same.

With decent opportunities to regen? that remains to be seen

Another data point. Late Nov 2019 build, battery v. F, received the increased range silently one night in March including display updated to indicate "plus". Seems I have a very early F battery so just barely slipped through. I do a lot of highway driving (although seemingly not during a pandemic), very curious if this update is going to benefit me. Coming from a X P90D, the range on the new one was vastly improved but I'll take what I can get to be able to skip every second supercharger.

Another data point. Late Nov 2019 build, battery v. F, received the increased range silently one night in March including display updated to indicate "plus". Seems I have a very early F battery so just barely slipped through. I do a lot of highway driving (although seemingly not during a pandemic), very curious if this update is going to benefit me. Coming from a X P90D, the range on the new one was vastly improved but I'll take what I can get to be able to skip every second supercharger.

The update itself will not benefit you, it was only to change the rated efficiency to be in line with your hardware. The regen improvement a while ago could have an effect on your city driving efficiency though.