Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

351 Mile Range!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For me, It SEEMS LIKE there’s something different than just software between a 2020 Long Range and new Long Range Plus.
Not sure if anyone else saw that after the Plus announcement, the X inventory cars changes to Plus in description, then were changed back to just Long Range a few days later. Wish there was a little more transparency on the differences to better make a decision on passing up an available custom order 2/3/20 long range x order for a post 2/14/20 long range plus car and waiting another month...the possibility of a 110 sized battery sounding more convincing.

only way to prove = is when someone in this forum takes the long range plus delivery and have 351 miles for 100% then take a photo for their battery pack label and post it.

It seems from my sleuthing and the pictures in this thread they changed the label on the pack by removing the 100kwh and added the GB/T bar code for recycling compliance around Dec 1. Part number remains the same with revision F. Based on the pack serial number, my pack was built in November (older label) and the serial number on the newer pack indicates it was built in December.

Useless information I’m sure, I was bored

It seems from my sleuthing and the pictures in this thread they changed the label on the pack by removing the 100kwh and added the GB/T bar code for recycling compliance around Dec 1. Part number remains the same with revision F. Based on the pack serial number, my pack was built in November (older label) and the serial number on the newer pack indicates it was built in December.

Useless information I’m sure, I was bored

To be fair, what else is one to do when not driving their brand new Model X? :D

Reactions: Dare and Paul8810
2019 shows 351 miles of rangeView attachment 513439

That makes no sense. If you search new X inventory for zip 60007, there's a 2019 and a bunch of 2020s. The 2019 says Long Range Plus 351 miles, and all the 2020s say Long Range 328. Like they built one Sneak Preview back in the 2019 model year, and then threw away all the changes going forward? I think the info is just whacked for now.

For me, It SEEMS LIKE there’s something different than just software between a 2020 Long Range and new Long Range Plus.
Not sure if anyone else saw that after the Plus announcement, the X inventory cars changes to Plus in description, then were changed back to just Long Range a few days later. Wish there was a little more transparency on the differences to better make a decision on passing up an available custom order 2/3/20 long range x order for a post 2/14/20 long range plus car and waiting another month...the possibility of a 110 sized battery sounding more convincing.

No its all efficiency gains thru software tweaks and how they calculate EPA range. Elon has already said that the most recent raven models are all capable of this range and currently have understated range. an OTA update should bring it on par with the new "plus" range. Plus was only added for regulatory purposes, its still the same car you would've ordered 2 weeks ago vs now.

No its all efficiency gains thru software tweaks and how they calculate EPA range. Elon has already said that the most recent raven models are all capable of this range and currently have understated range. an OTA update should bring it on par with the new "plus" range. Plus was only added for regulatory purposes, its still the same car you would've ordered 2 weeks ago vs now.

Actual he said it was from many small hardware changes put into production over time. And that recent cars would get some of the additional range.

Not true at all.

Reactions: MP3Mike and Ilguy
Actual he said it was from many small hardware changes put into production over time. And that recent cars would get some of the additional range.

I can't see how that's the case, and I interpreted his comments differently. He said they have made small hardware updates over time, and that cars built in the last few months are capable of the newly certified range. I take that to mean at some point the updates were significant enough to have them certify a new model name and because the changes have already been in production some cars will get the update via software.

They can't have cars with multiple ranges without doing this whole process of changing the name and re-certifying. So nobody will get (officially) a partial range extension. It's plausible that some are seeing a minor efficiency gain that they are unaware of but it won't be official.

What remains to be seen is the cutoff date for the hardware changes that went into the recert. What is few months?

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
I can't see how that's the case, and I interpreted his comments differently. He said they have made small hardware updates over time, and that cars built in the last few months are capable of the newly certified range.

Nope, not what he said.

They can't have cars with multiple ranges without doing this whole process of changing the name and re-certifying. So nobody will get (officially) a partial range extension. It's plausible that some are seeing a minor efficiency gain that they are unaware of but it won't be official.
Nobody is going to get an official range extension. Your official number is what came on the Monroney sticker when you bought the car. But people will get a update to the estimated range in the car which will between their original and the new 2020 LR+ range depending on what hardware your car has.

But hey, why believe me, just read what Elon wrote:

Elon Musk @elonmusk

Replying to @jgrano305 @BLKMDL3 and 2 others
Depends on when car was built, as there are many small hardware improvements, so most will be somewhere in between 373 & 390

Nope, not what he said.
Nobody is going to get an official range extension. Your official number is what came on the Monroney sticker when you bought the car. But people will get a update to the estimated range in the car which will between their original and the new 2020 LR+ range depending on what hardware your car has.

But hey, why believe me, just read what Elon wrote:
btw another interesting thing nobody is payign attention to is he's exclusively talking about S that got smaller range bump.

Could be nothing of course.

Reactions: mswlogo

Yeah, it's hard to know if further hardware tweaks were made. He said in the last few months. But Raven have been out like 9 months or more. It could be all Raven's get it. They never did "Label the Raven". Plus might mean Raven. But it is odd Performance is not getting the boost. So it could be a tweak to the rear motor. Which is different than performance. And we don't know if the motor changed recently (last few months) or not. But since Performance is not getting the boost I say it has something to do with the rear motor. Then again they might have bigger plans for the Performance not ready to announce that also (pre shipped). It's really hard to know what's going on.

Yeah, it's hard to know if further hardware tweaks were made. He said in the last few months. But Raven have been out like 9 months or more. It could be all Raven's get it. They never did "Label the Raven". Plus might mean Raven.

If that was the case they wouldn't have need to add the +. All 2020 LR models are Ravens, they could have just corrected the EPA rating. So the fact that they have to distinguish between the 2020 LR Raven and the 2020 LR+ Raven sure makes it seem like the last few months starts sometime after October which is when the 2020's started.

If that was the case they wouldn't have need to add the +. All 2020 LR models are Ravens, they could have just corrected the EPA rating. So the fact that they have to distinguish between the 2020 LR Raven and the 2020 LR+ Raven sure makes it seem like the last few months starts sometime after October which is when the 2020's started.

Perhaps more importantly is does this "increase" in range actually give you more range or does it manipulate characteristics so that it does better in the EPA testing?