Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

35K-50K price point? Leasing or Buying? And 1st day announcement # orders discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just wanted to start a discussion on what people are planning to do with the model 3 when it will be announced and when they finalize the order.

There are 3 big points right now.

1. 35K starting price? Ye right. AWD, Leather, Tech Package, taxes, probably will run you somewhere mid 40's or higher. What is your magic $$ number? Do you care, or you just want wheels and electric motor with high range?

2. Are you leasing it or buying it? Is it worth buying it when Tesla and Other Car Manuf (lets say by 2020) will probably be producing other alternatives by then? What lease price are you thinking? (I am hoping its below $500/m)

3. Are you planning to reserve it same day when it will be announced? I gave this a lot of thought and I believe that if you don't order the car within the first 10 minutes, you will probably be waiting several extra months for delivery. I am thinking 1st day orders will be probably between 50,000-100,000 cars. I wouldn't be surprised if its closer to 100,000 number. There are several factors to that number, people I believe will be very comfortable by then with super chargers being everywhere.

1. Until the CAD tanked, I was hoping to get in for $50k with the smallest pack that would get me around 300miles - we'll see what the CAD does at that point, hopefully oil picks up since we are on a petro-dollar basically. I will also need the winter outfitted package. I see with the Volt, they're including that in the Canadian base price, so I wonder if Tesla would do the same. If I could get AWD, bonus.
2. Buy.
3. Within the hour of announcement, I will have my reservation in, server outage notwithstanding.

I have Leased, Bought 2 cars, Leasing now again, and after buying 2 cars I realized buying is not for me. I want a new car every 3 years. The other issue is that the initial shock of putting down so much $.

For example. My wife is leasing a Honda Civic, if I bought the car at the time would have run me around 19.5-20K with taxes.

Right now I am paying $216 a month - I didn't give a down payment, and taxes are included in the payment. So 216 x 36 months = $7776
People said they want to keep the cars for 10 years and after 10 years with the car is worth nothing...

So now next year. I will lease another civic lets say with a similar lease payment of 216/m. For me to get to that 20K I would have to lease the car for 7.71 years.

So my positive points:

1. You don't have to deal with selling, accidents, what the value would be if you own the car.
2. You always have up to date car with included warranty.
3. The payments won't rob your bank and it won't give your bank account that initial shock.

Last edited:
I have Leased, Bought 2 cars, Leasing now again, and after buying 2 cars I realized buying is not for me. I want a new car every 3 years. The other issue is that the initial shock of putting down so much $.

Definitely look at the math. With a lease you pay full MSRP, you pay for depreciation as well as interest, etc. With buying you can do all the same things as a lease and the trade in from your previous car lowers the cost of the next one enough that you get the same low payments. Often dealerships will offer cheap leases to dump cars that they cannot get rid of, other than those I have never seen a lease where the math came out ahead of just buying, even given the same usage scenario as the lease.

Definitely look at the math. With a lease you pay full MSRP, you pay for depreciation as well as interest, etc. With buying you can do all the same things as a lease and the trade in from your previous car lowers the cost of the next one enough that you get the same low payments. Often dealerships will offer cheap leases to dump cars that they cannot get rid of, other than those I have never seen a lease where the math came out ahead of just buying, even given the same usage scenario as the lease.

Of course lease math wouldn't come ahead, there is probably 30-40% loss. However its a trade-off with warranty, more up to date cars, and having more $$ in your bank account.

For example. My wife is leasing a Honda Civic, if I bought the car at the time would have run me around 19.5-20K with taxes.

Right now I am paying $216 a month - I didn't give a down payment, and taxes are included in the payment. So 216 x 36 months = $7776
People said they want to keep the cars for 10 years and after 10 years with the car is worth nothing...

Not a lot from a resale point of view, but certainly not nothing. But just take your own figures out to their logical conclusion - at that payment you will have spent $25,920 after 10 years of leasing a car, and at the end of a lease you have nothing. When I buy, at the end I still have a car. Ultimately, a car is worth the use you get out of it. Whether I can sell it for $1,000 or $5,000 really makes no difference if I'm not going to sell it. It is exactly as useful to me just after it's been paid for as it was before.

So now next year. I will lease another civic lets say with a similar lease payment of 216/m. For me to get to that 20K I would have to lease the car for 7.71 years.

Yes. If your goal is to pay less per month, a lease will certainly cost you less per month, and you will have something new more frequently. If your goal is to pay less overall, than buying a car and keeping it for a long time beats it by a wide margin.

So my positive points:

1. You don't have to deal with selling, accidents, what the value would be if you own the car.
2. You always have up to date car with included warranty.
3. The payments won't rob your bank and it won't give your bank account that initial shock.

I'm not terribly concerned with resale value; I buy a car to use it, not to sell it, so as long as it's properly useful it doesn't matter what its value is in dollars. Warranty is nice but a reliable car won't use it much. (And I certainly hope that a Tesla will be more reliable than an ICE car!) My current cars cost me very little though they are both long out of warranty. After it's paid for, that $200+ a month buys a whole lot of repairs, far more than most cars need. I'm always looking at the total picture first so any 'initial shock' just kind of rolls off me. I just don't think in those terms. Any advertising (not just cars) where they state a monthly cost, but not an overall cost, drives me up the wall.

I predict that the new car may start around $35,000 and top out around the price (at the time) of a base Model S.

Might make sense to allow the smaller cars to have access to superchargers, but have a reasonable charge for current used. Tesla could simply track supercharger uses and bill for electricity consumed. Might also reduce the number of budget conscious owners from clogging the superchargers just because the juice is free : >)'

I just wanted to start a discussion on what people are planning to do with the model 3 when it will be announced and when they finalize the order.

3. Are you planning to reserve it same day when it will be announced? I gave this a lot of thought and I believe that if you don't order the car within the first 10 minutes, you will probably be waiting several extra months for delivery. I am thinking 1st day orders will be probably between 50,000-100,000 cars. I wouldn't be surprised if its closer to 100,000 number. There are several factors to that number, people I believe will be very comfortable by then with super chargers being everywhere.

What!!!! 50,000 cars ordered first day! What ever you are taking, I want some!
In the US, there have been less than 65,000 EVs sold total for the calendar year and roughly 123,000 in CY14. http://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/
The BEST selling vehicle in America sells roughly 65,000 per month. http://online.wsj.com/mdc/public/page/2_3022-autosales.html

Sorry to be so blunt but there is no way in heck that ANY car will have 1st day orders between 50,000-100,000 cars

In the US, there have been less than 65,000 EVs sold total for the calendar year and roughly 123,000 in CY14. http://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/
The BEST selling vehicle in America sells roughly 65,000 per month. http://online.wsj.com/mdc/public/page/2_3022-autosales.html

Sorry to be so blunt but there is no way in heck that ANY car will have 1st day orders between 50,000-100,000 cars

The big difference is that there is going to be a crowd of people that have been piling up for 5 years.

1. 35K starting price? I have a P85 Sig and I am addicted to the acceleration. I'm hoping that the Model 3 platform will be the same as roadster 3.0 and we get a surprise simultaneous announcement from Elon (like he announced the "performance version" during the Model S reveal). I expect the top of line Model 3 to be at least 75K fully loaded after rebates. Roadster 3.0 starting at 150K.

2. Are you leasing it or buying it? I've never leased but I've been amazed how fast my Sig has become obsolete. I would definitely consider a lease since the pace of Tesla's innovation give current products the shelf life of a banana. Also, I have found no value (other than being an early Tesla supporter which was great fun) in owning a Sig and would never pay the premium again.

3. Are you planning to reserve it same day when it will be announced? I'll write a check at the reveal party! Set your calendars a 6-12 months late---nothing is ever on time by Tesla.

I think 50,000 in the first day is a conservative estimate! It's going to be ludicrous!

AWD and a larger capacity battery. GPS without the tech package. Will try to reserve on day 1. Definitely need AWD. My MS 60 does not perform well in snow and ice. It is a great vehicle; but skidding on snow is not what one would expect. Therefore, an M3 AWD with 500 "real world" mile range.

1. 35K starting price? Ye right. AWD, Leather, Tech Package, taxes, probably will run you somewhere mid 40's or higher. What is your magic $$ number? Do you care, or you just want wheels and electric motor with high range?

Basically all I want is "wheels and electric motor with high range", but hope I can get the AWD and SC options. Anything else depends on the exchange rate at that time. And yes, I prefers textile seats.

2. Are you leasing it or buying it? Is it worth buying it when Tesla and Other Car Manuf (lets say by 2020) will probably be producing other alternatives by then? What lease price are you thinking? (I am hoping its below $500/m)

Buying. I plan to keep the car for a long time, and I don't believe anyone else is offering SC access.

The same day if at all possible. I would wait a bit for the first bugs to be fixed, but has been waiting for this car for a looooong time, and do not want to wait any longer then I have to...

- - - Updated - - -

The big difference is that there is going to be a crowd of people that have been piling up for 5 years.

5 years? New comers :p

I have been waiting for this car since this blog was published: http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/secret-tesla-motors-master-plan-just-between-you-and-me
That's 9 years and 11 days... And I have been waiting for a car like this since the early 90'th.

1. Assuming it has all the cool tech features that the Model S has either standard or via options I will go up to 50k in price.
2. Buy, I never lease. I have never actually seen lease math that worked out ahead of purchasing for my usage and financial situation.
3. Yes as soon as reservations open I will reserve one. I expect about 10-20k reservations first day. I would say the 50-100k mark will be 6-12 months after reservations open.
That's pretty much the exact same place I'm at. Up to 50K, buy, reserve in the first 3 minutes it's available (Internet gods permitting...).

BTW, I fully expect supercharging to be available for all Model 3's. The whole range assurance spiel from Elon -- okay, he was talking about the Model S then, but still -- he wants owners to never have to worry about running out of charge. Tesla will either include unlimited supercharging or find some sort of pay-as-you-go system. There's no reason they can't bill owners for their consumption at superchargers. You pull in, charge up, get a bill in the mail or have it directly charged to a credit card.

Last edited:
1. I'm limiting myself to $50k CAD, which right now is only $38k USD. Hopefully the situation improves somewhat by then.
2. Buying it. I buy and hold.
3. Planning on reserving first day, assuming it's the same deal with a refundable deposit. I think that will be necessary to get a car in 2018.