Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

35K-50K price point? Leasing or Buying? And 1st day announcement # orders discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Assuming the design is good, I plan to really have no price limit. AWD, longest range, most hp etc. there are a few options in the S I would skip so most likely I would do the same with a model 3. I'm hoping I can get the car I want for ~60k before incentive.

I plan to buy, only car I've ever leased is our current i3 and I only did that because I don't feel the car is worthy of owning, it's just a stop gap to a Tesla.

i hope to get the first one off the line, I'm not one to cry about minor issues and I trust Tesla to take care of it.

Assuming the design is good, I plan to really have no price limit. AWD, longest range, most hp etc. there are a few options in the S I would skip so most likely I would do the same with a model 3. I'm hoping I can get the car I want for ~60k before incentive.

Must be nice. I'd like to say price no object for me, but I think my max budget will be about $45k. I'd love a 500+ hp ultra-high-performance Model 3 as much as the next guy, but 259 hp in a mainstream model is more than enough. Factor in the instantaneous and ample torque of an electric motor, and you'll have a great car for the price with 221-259 hp.

I think the all tripped out model 3 will be around 60K like others have said. Hence why i am looking for a decent used model s 85d instead. Sure the model 3 might get better range and might be smaller, but i would probabaly have to wait and the 60K would probably be what a cpo 85d would cost a year from now. Also i dont like to drive new things because it will probably have issues. By then i hope the model s 85d will have most of its problems worked out.

I am 100% certain Tesla will create a system by then so you won't be able to abuse the system. I think the best way is to charge the abusers. I don't think it is ever a good idea to deny someone a charge, especially in emergency situations.

I suspect Tesla will come up with some way to track use of Superchargers with some kind of key fob like other charger systems (maybe even the car key or something in the car's firmware). Then they may allow Model S/X users to use the superchargers for free x amount of times a year and if you use it more than that, there will be some kind of fee. Only heavy supercharger users would be affected. Maybe they will make free charges transferable too so you can give your buddy free charges, or transfer from another car in the family.

For Model 3 users, there may be a lower yearly threshold or none at all and Model 3 users will always need to pay. They aren't going to be able to scale up the free supercharger network with a mass marketed car. Even if the superchargers are solar powered in most locations (they can't do that everywhere) as they plan to do, the congestion at superchargers will be massive. By 2021 they are talking about more than 1 million Model 3s on the road, that's around 10X the number of Model Ss out there now.

That's just how I would deal with the problem. For most people who don't live on the road, superchargers remain free, but the heaviest users have to pay.

I would absolutely love for the maxed-out Model 3 to be $60k, but I just don't see it:

$35k base (I'm still skeptical this will happen; I suspect it'll be closer to $37.5k)
$7.5k bigger battery
$7.5k performance package w/AWD
$2.5k autopilot
$1.5k panoramic roof
$3k 19" performance wheels (upgrade from 17" base)
$2k air suspension
$3k tech package
$2k sound upgrade
$1k paint
$2k next-gen seats (hopefully this is an option)

That puts me at $68k -- over $70k if the base price ends up higher than $35k. I'm trying to plan for $75k as I'm saving up. Hope you're right about $60k :)

Last edited:
I think this is my first post so Hi everyone!, glad to join and thanks for this magnificient forum. My answers would be:

- My only concerns regarding model 3 are range, safety and space since I have two little kids, 1 and 2 and a half years. I don't care about autopilot, pano roof, leather seats or even performance (mostly because I cannot afford it). I'm assuming basic Model 3 will have high safety standards, a range of 180 miles EPA (NEDC is a joke) and a trunk of more than 400litres (hopefully around 500litres without taking on account the probable 100litres of the frunk).

- Always buy. I was thinking about leasing a BMW i3 since the offer was tempting (4700 eur and 275 eur/month for 3 years) but I just got a second-hand Renault Zoe for 12.9k eur with batteries included, cheaper than owning the i3 for 3 years. I know, it's not the same car but I hope the batteries last 8 years in good conditions.Also, leasing the new ZOE was 7000 eur and 133 eur/month for 3 years, almost the same as my second-hand one. Overall, maths makes leasing a black hole.

- My gas car, a Nissan Cube, is 5 years old and I'm planning to keep it a minimum of 10 years. Knowing the most probable delay on the launch and the delay on european deliveries, I'll reserve a non-Sig the first minute I can. I expect 2019 delivery if everything goes well but I'm mentally training to hold until 2020. That's why I got the ZOE, to realease some e-pressure :cool:

I think this is my first post so Hi everyone!, glad to join and thanks for this magnificient forum. My answers would be:

- My only concerns regarding model 3 are range, safety and space since I have two little kids, 1 and 2 and a half years. I don't care about autopilot, pano roof, leather seats or even performance (mostly because I cannot afford it). I'm assuming basic Model 3 will have high safety standards, a range of 180 miles EPA (NEDC is a joke) and a trunk of more than 400litres (hopefully around 500litres without taking on account the probable 100litres of the frunk).

- Always buy. I was thinking about leasing a BMW i3 since the offer was tempting (4700 eur and 275 eur/month for 3 years) but I just got a second-hand Renault Zoe for 12.9k eur with batteries included, cheaper than owning the i3 for 3 years. I know, it's not the same car but I hope the batteries last 8 years in good conditions.Also, leasing the new ZOE was 7000 eur and 133 eur/month for 3 years, almost the same as my second-hand one. Overall, maths makes leasing a black hole.

- My gas car, a Nissan Cube, is 5 years old and I'm planning to keep it a minimum of 10 years. Knowing the most probable delay on the launch and the delay on european deliveries, I'll reserve a non-Sig the first minute I can. I expect 2019 delivery if everything goes well but I'm mentally training to hold until 2020. That's why I got the ZOE, to realease some e-pressure :cool:

180EPA is guaranteed, it won't be less than 200 miles EPA, I'd guess it's going to be 220 miles for the base model. It will also likely be safer than other cars of similar size.

Also I believe the cost of reservation could be higher than $2500, being ready with $3500 is not a bad idea, personally I'm counting on 5k... But am willing to be surprised.:wink:

I am a huge TESLA/Elon Musk fan.I wish from all my heart to own a TESLA MODEL S but I honestly can't afford one, it's way too much that I could afford.
My only options would be a TESLA MODEL 3, I currently own a bmw f10 5 series, I could sell it and add a few extra cash to buy the model 3.
It's so sad I have to wait like another 3 years until it will hit production

There are some things I would like for the model 3:
- Have good exterior/interior design
- Keep the huge console tablet
- Have a good 0-60 (better than 6.0 seconds)
- Have AWD (a must have for me since winters are harsh where I live)
- Have a range of 300 Miles !
- Be able to use the superchargers for free like model s
- Price with all I would need for it should not be above 55k $

I think that is the plan. Elon confirmed that it would be more or less the same motor in TM3 as the new TMS "D" motor (front in P85/90D, front and rear in 70/85/90D)

Initially he said that the small front motor was the precursor to the model 3 motor. I believe in the last conference call he confirmed that there would be one more iteration of that motor for the model 3.

My only "must have" for the Model 3 for me is the winter package. It goes down to -40 here during winter. Everything else is optional depending on price. My current car is a RWD, and it does just fine the snow, unless it gets too deep. Better than my old '81 Land Cruiser except in deep snow. So the D model would be a nice to have, not not critical in my books.

My only "must have" for the Model 3 for me is the winter package. It goes down to -40 here during winter. Everything else is optional depending on price. My current car is a RWD, and it does just fine the snow, unless it gets too deep. Better than my old '81 Land Cruiser except in deep snow. So the D model would be a nice to have, not not critical in my books.

Just for my curiosity — what aspect of the winter package so important to you ? Is it the heated windshield wipers/sprays nozzle or rather the heated steering wheel/back seats ? (and more importantly, for what reason ?)

It seems to me that since the car can be preheated the winter package only helps with range, right ?

(To be clear, this is not a tongue in cheek or a snarky comment. I've never experienced temperatures as low as -40.)

Gentlemen,

I have found a way to have the Model 3 for practically free:

asfg.png

On a episode of “Extreme Cheapskates “a Las Vegas man figured out a way to make some money by signing up for medical trials. He saved himself more than $750. That inspired him to take it one step further. Most recently he also agreed to donate one of his testicles. But they didn’t just leave him hanging. They replaced it with an artificial one and paid him $35,000. - See more at: Donate a Testicle The payout for this is $35,000

Just for my curiosity — what aspect of the winter package so important to you ? Is it the heated windshield wipers/sprays nozzle or rather the heated steering wheel/back seats ? (and more importantly, for what reason ?)

It seems to me that since the car can be preheated the winter package only helps with range, right ?

(To be clear, this is not a tongue in cheek or a snarky comment. I've never experienced temperatures as low as -40.)

When it gets overly cold even the slight moisture in the air will freeze to your windows almost instantly. The winter package has better window defrost. Also, it takes time for a conventional car to warm up, so cold that my hands get painfully cold, even with gloves on, and mittens are impractical to drive in. So the heated steering wheel would be a plus. The heated seats are a plus.

To be fair, it gets to -40 at night. However it will remain in the -30s throughout the day. These are the days where you'll see me so bundled up with my daily walks that the only thing visible on my face are my eyes.