Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

36.X and Steering Wheel Weight?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know there are many people who are adamantly against the usage of wheel weights, I get it but that’s not the point of this thread.

Anyone on 36.X with a wheel weight noticing autopilot disengagements with no warning? Prior to this version I had no issue, but with 36.6 I’m having autopilot disengage without any warning. I’m wondering if they put into 36.X if you’re able to go x distance/time without any wheel nudge notifications, youre most likely using a wheel weight?

Reactions: ElectricIAC
I wouldn't be surprised to see new code that looks for signs of wheel weights, such as precisely consistent torque being applied over a period of time. Humans aren't capable of applying precise pressure for an extended period of time - there is almost always a variant in the pressure.

It's an escalation battle. A car company puts out safety features, and humans attempt to thwart them, so the car company changes things to improve safety, and so on and so on.

Reactions: Mullermn and KLam
I know there are many people who are adamantly against the usage of wheel weights, I get it but that’s not the point of this thread.

Anyone on 36.X with a wheel weight noticing autopilot disengagements with no warning? Prior to this version I had no issue, but with 36.6 I’m having autopilot disengage without any warning. I’m wondering if they put into 36.X if you’re able to go x distance/time without any wheel nudge notifications, youre most likely using a wheel weight?
I’m on 2022.28.1 (2022 S but with AP) and noticed only notifications to nudge the wheel just yesterday. About a 250 mile round trip highway drive. The weight did its job well

Navigate on AP disengaging after about 20 minutes without any warning. Many non-steering weight drivers are also seeing that issue.

Ever since I got 36.6 last week, I've had changes to my basic autopilot that I don't like.

First, after hanging my 19 ounce weight on the steering wheel, as soon as I drive a good 10 minutes and it starts flashing the screen blue to touch the steering wheel, as soon as the blue starts, it says "autopilot disabled for the rest of this drive". Then I have to pull over, fully stop, put it in Park, lift my ass off the seat, sit back down, and put it back in drive to get autopilot back on. That is annoying.

So why was the warning time reduced to essentially nothing? I'll touch the wheel if I need to once in a while, don't got to be so hard about it.

And bring back the odometer tenths digit! There is no good reason not to have it!!!

First, after hanging my 19 ounce weight on the steering wheel, as soon as I drive a good 10 minutes and it starts flashing the screen blue to touch the steering wheel, as soon as the blue starts, it says "autopilot disabled for the rest of this drive". Then I have to pull over, fully stop, put it in Park, lift my ass off the seat, sit back down, and put it back in drive to get autopilot back on. That is annoying.

So why was the warning time reduced to essentially nothing? I'll touch the wheel if I need to once in a while, don't got to be so hard about it.
Does the same thing happen if you don't use the weight? It makes sense that Tesla would take measures to discourage people from disabling their safety features. If they don't then NHTSA will issue yet another recall in a few months and force them to. IIRC NHTSA is already very concerned about driver monitoring.

Does the same thing happen if you don't use the weight? It makes sense that Tesla would take measures to discourage people from disabling their safety features. If they don't then NHTSA will issue yet another recall in a few months and force them to. IIRC NHTSA is already very concerned about driver monitoring.
I've gotten kicked off Autopilot without any flashing blue warnings 4 times now, usually about 20-30 minutes into an autopilot drive. I thought it may have something to do with the cabin camera so I had mobile service come replace it (free). I took off my steering wheel weight while they were doing service and forgot to put it back on, when I went for a drive I noticed I was getting the flashing blue warnings and remembered I took off the weight. That's when I realized the kick offs might be from the weight, so I did the rest of the drive without the weight on. Besides the reminders, which I didn't get with the weight, no issues and no autopilot disengagements. I'm thinking the latest version of software will assume you're using a weight if it goes 20-30 mins on autopilot without ever having to warn you to move the steering wheel.

Ever since I got 36.6 last week, I've had changes to my basic autopilot that I don't like.

Don't forget, it is quite likely the cabin camera can *see* if your hands are actually on the yoke/wheel.

Don't forget, it is quite likely the cabin camera can *see* if your hands are actually on the yoke/wheel.
Nope it can't.

Screenshot 2022-11-05 at 11.37.30 AM.png

i have seen that issue too since the update. However, if you at least touch the wheel every few minutes or so, i was able to drive for 30 miles without it disengaging. There is no warning, it just disengages autopilot.

Because Greentheonly hacked it already.
That tweet is a year and a half old. From before there even were cameras inside the S or X. My point was simply that information is not generally available to owners. We don’t really know how we (owners) are actually being surveiled and evaluated. We just have to trust with no way to verify. TBH, I’d think the cabin camera could easily be added to Sentry Mode, and/or stored on the TeslaCam drive. Maybe someday it will be.

i have seen that issue too since the update. However, if you at least touch the wheel every few minutes or so, i was able to drive for 30 miles without it disengaging. There is no warning, it just disengages autopilot.
So, after 30 minutes, it’d disengage your AP without warnings —even though you were touching the wheel every few minutes or so?

In the past it’d never disengage without a warning. Previously, I’d get a warning on some rides every 10 minutes or so and on others no warnings for hours. Now it is disengagement after 10 minutes, no warnings.

Since upgrading to 30.6, I've gotten this behaviour several times with a weight attached. I was always looking ahead at the road. I've never gotten it when not using the weight-- just the normal nags. I'm thinking what's now required is a small motor in the weight to wiggle another small weight to cause variability. I suspect our friends in Shenzhen will have this sorted in a couple of weeks.

• Funny
Reactions: 2101Guy and alexcue