Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

36.X and Steering Wheel Weight?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
no issues here on 36.6.
There are specific scenarios that i get the blue flash and my best guess is when driving on a road that has a slope to the side that is opposite of where the weight is, the weight and the sloped road are countering each other because the slope causes some forces on the steering bar.

My guess is either genius or a complete BS from back to the future.

Reactions: 2101Guy
no issues here on 36.6.
There are specific scenarios that i get the blue flash and my best guess is when driving on a road that has a slope to the side that is opposite of where the weight is, the weight and the sloped road are countering each other because the slope causes some forces on the steering bar.

My guess is either genius or a complete BS from back to the future.
Have you done continuous 20-30 minute AP drive? I can almost consistently get it to disengage AP which gets disabled until I park. No blue flashing or prior warning

Have you done continuous 20-30 minute AP drive? I can almost consistently get it to disengage AP which gets disabled until I park. No blue flashing or prior warning
I noticed a pattern in my case. It’d kick me out without warning after 10 or 20 minutes of driving. All started happening after 36.6.

I tried few things. My work around is now to disengage and reengage after 9 minutes (I had a 9 minutes snooze on Apple Watch). I found that disengaging and reengaging (three strikes on the driver stalk) is quite painless. I was able to drive about 80 miles without that dreaded red steering appearing on me once.

Also, today I detached my weights and drove on AP for few miles without them and reattached them while on AP, and for that ride I only got the regular blue screen warning — again after 10-15 minutes. It was a 40 miles NoA. Not sure what happened but I’ll try that again tomorrow and see if it is a real work around.

II Tesla wants to detect a fixed installed weight, they should be able to do so by detecting the amount and consistency of torque required for the system to turn the wheel itself.

This could be measured during normal back-and-forth wheel movements in FSD. It would be very unlikely for a human to provide the same consistent counter torque in both directions and during various angular acceleration/ deceleration events.

Another possibility would be to use small higher-frequency test movements, like a rapid jiggle or vibration stimulus that is outside the frequency band of normal steering input. One idea to make this seem less weird would be to "feature" it, ie announced that the steering wheel checks now include "haptic" reminders to the driver, which behind the scenes are actually part of a wheel-weight detection scheme.

I'm not saying they are doing or planning any of the above now, but they certainly could if they wanted to.

These potential countermeasures occurred to me some time ago during discussions of the Autopilot blBuddy products, but until now I never heard any reports that suggested Tesla might be deploying such a countermeasure. It will be interesting to see how this develops.

Reactions: wadood
II Tesla wants to detect a fixed installed weight, they should be able to do so by detecting the amount and consistency of torque required for the system to turn the wheel itself.

This could be measured during normal back-and-forth wheel movements in FSD. It would be very unlikely for a human to provide the same consistent counter torque in both directions and during various angular acceleration/ deceleration events.

Another possibility would be to use small higher-frequency test movements, like a rapid jiggle or vibration stimulus that is outside the frequency band of normal steering input. One idea to make this seem less weird would be to "feature" it, ie announced that the steering wheel checks now include "haptic" reminders to the driver, which behind the scenes are actually part of a wheel-weight detection scheme.

I'm not saying they are doing or planning any of the above now, but they certainly could if they wanted to.

These potential countermeasures occurred to me some time ago during discussions of the Autopilot blBuddy products, but until now I never heard any reports that suggested Tesla might be deploying such a countermeasure. It will be interesting to see how this develops.
I think it can be much more simple and all they really require is to detect whether or not the system has had to give any nudges at all over the course of say 25 minutes. I don’t think it’s very likely someone on AP is constantly providing force to the steering wheel, otherwise why would they be on AP? The weight is constantly providing force and thus the system almost never has to give a warning, which is not very human like.

I’m thinking they need to prioritize fixing FSD before focusing on how to get around people using it the way they choose to

I’m thinking they need to prioritize fixing FSD before focusing on how to get around people using it the way they choose to
Exactly, having to keep your hands on the wheel is the real problem. On highways I believe having your hands on your legs right next to the wheel and not having to deal with constant nags is just as safe.

I think it can be much more simple and all they really require is to detect whether or not the system has had to give any nudges at all over the course of say 25 minutes. I don’t think it’s very likely someone on AP is constantly providing force to the steering wheel, otherwise why would they be on AP? The weight is constantly providing force and thus the system almost never has to give a warning, which is not very human like.
"We haven't bugged you enough lately so you must be cheating" speaks volumes about why people may choose to use a weight :D

I wonder if the variability in experiences expressed here is due to how people attach their weights. For example a hanging weight should provide more variation of the force than something solidly affixed.

Exactly, having to keep your hands on the wheel is the real problem. On highways I believe having your hands on your legs right next to the wheel and not having to deal with constant nags is just as safe.
I agree. Actually, Tesla nagging is very unsafe. I have driven over 40K hands free on other cars (Open Pilot, Super Cruise etc) and found them to be far safer than Tesla. In my case whatever I do Tesla would not detect the pressure of my hand and constantly nag me.

Moreover, it has a rigid steering. Most of the time I’d turn it enough to disengage the autopilot. Sometimes that’d jerk the car out of its trajectory and other times I did not realize that I have been disengaged while I believed I was on AP and the car was basically driverless— which was more dangerous.

Compare that to the competing technologies that do driver monitoring as opposed to nagging. You are at peace, looking in front. You can still steer without disengaging, which is great. Tesla always ends up in a wrong lane on a traffic stop. With other cars you can just steer it to the correct lane. Ability to steer for course correction is a feature that I miss badly in Tesla. It results in too many disengagements in city driving.

Here, AP does not allow you to steer yet wants you to hold it tight!!! Makes no sense. Obviously, the intent here is driver monitoring but for then they should have implemented proper driver monitoring. On GM you close your eyes for 6 seconds it goes berserk.
Here, I can fall asleep with the dead weight of my palm on the wheel for many minutes before I’d be prompted.

I stopped at an 80's style candy shop today on my way to work, and I ended up getting a cup of mint chocolate chip ice cream. So once I got back on the road I put on Base AP while eating ice cream with both hands. I hadn't put the weight back on the steering wheel yet, and the AP was giving me the flashing blue light after 20-30 seconds, as it used to. It did that several times while I was having the ice cream. I just wiggled the wheel enough to satisfy the alert.

I guess the red alert no-more-AP thing is only for if you drive for 10+ minutes at a time without detecting steering wheel inputs. It's a pain, but I guess I'll have to touch the wheel once in a while more often now.

Last night I removed the weight and wiggled the steering wheel a few times, about a mile before I got to the area where the AP normally times out. Then I put the weight back on and was able to finish the highway part of the ride home with no more disruptions.

NOTE - I'm coming home from work around midnight, so the highway is usually empty or very nearly so. Calm down.

I also don’t get why some of these f’s (if it doesn’t apply to you…relax) get so up in arms about wheel weights. Elon says they won’t even be needed in about 6-7 weeks anyways

"The car will be able to take you from your home to your work, your friend's house, the grocery store without you touching the wheel," he said.

Last edited:
I agree. Actually, Tesla nagging is very unsafe. I have driven over 40K hands free on other cars (Open Pilot, Super Cruise etc) and found them to be far safer than Tesla. In my case whatever I do Tesla would not detect the pressure of my hand and constantly nag me.

Moreover, it has a rigid steering. Most of the time I’d turn it enough to disengage the autopilot. Sometimes that’d jerk the car out of its trajectory and other times I did not realize that I have been disengaged while I believed I was on AP and the car was basically driverless— which was more dangerous.

Compare that to the competing technologies that do driver monitoring as opposed to nagging. You are at peace, looking in front. You can still steer without disengaging, which is great. Tesla always ends up in a wrong lane on a traffic stop. With other cars you can just steer it to the correct lane. Ability to steer for course correction is a feature that I miss badly in Tesla. It results in too many disengagements in city driving.

Here, AP does not allow you to steer yet wants you to hold it tight!!! Makes no sense. Obviously, the intent here is driver monitoring but for then they should have implemented proper driver monitoring. On GM you close your eyes for 6 seconds it goes berserk.
Here, I can fall asleep with the dead weight of my palm on the wheel for many minutes before I’d be prompted.

While I agree that we can pay attention without our hands on the wheel, do you realize that Tesla is looking for torque on the wheel, not grip pressure? Holding it tight won't do anything, but a left or right nudge on the wheel prevents or clears a nag.

Reactions: wadood
Since upgrading to 30.6, I've gotten this behaviour several times with a weight attached. I was always looking ahead at the road. I've never gotten it when not using the weight-- just the normal nags. I'm thinking what's now required is a small motor in the weight to wiggle another small weight to cause variability. I suspect our friends in Shenzhen will have this sorted in a couple of weeks.
What about without the weight? Gotta A/B test.

Does the same thing happen if you don't use the weight? It makes sense that Tesla would take measures to discourage people from disabling their safety features. If they don't then NHTSA will issue yet another recall in a few months and force them to. IIRC NHTSA is already very concerned about driver monitoring.
So interesting. I was about to buy a weight after a drive yesterday where AP was going absolutely bat-sh*t crazy to keep touching the wheel like every 10 seconds - like what is your purpose of existing AP!!

Now I'm reading ya'll having 36.6 issues (what i'm on) - seeming thats more of the issue here.

BTW - same drive i've done often and same type of inputs from me. it's gotten unusable.

Reactions: ElectricIAC