Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

360 dash cam feature coming to AP 2.0 cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And here I am. Patiently waiting, being budget responsible; holding off on purchasing a dash cam because it was coming. Months I waited, only to find out I needed a 2.5 to have it enabled. I sighed and hoped it would be released later to the 2.0. I waited and I waited, yet nothing. Finally I purchased one just last week....figures.

Aren't his tweets contradictory? He says this is available with Enhanced Autopilot, but then states it will be available to anyone with HW 2.x+. Each response taken on its own represents a different availability. I guess this is how you cover your bases :-(

I don't see a game being played here. Mathematically, 2=2.0, and when communicating versions, 2.0+ means 2.0 and any newer version. No different than going to a website that recommends Firefox 38+. Firefox 38 is good in this scenario, regardless of whether it's 38.0 or 38.9.9.9, but Firefox 37 is not, regardless of whether it's 37.0 or 37.9.9.9.

If anything it’s a clarification. He already clearly states ALL Enhanced Autopilot cars. Which was available starting with hardware 2.0 cars. The question for clarification was around whether the software for autopilot was required or if it’ll be a base package included for cars with that hardware.

He follows that up with “all cars with AP2+ hardware” it’s only meant to clarify the software is not needed. So all cars with the hardware to support EAP will have this feature. It’s that simple. We can put the conspiracy theories away now.

If anything it’s a clarification. He already clearly states ALL Enhanced Autopilot cars. Which was available starting with hardware 2.0 cars. The question for clarification was around whether the software for autopilot was required or if it’ll be a base package included for cars with that hardware.

He follows that up with “all cars with AP2+ hardware” it’s only meant to clarify the software is not needed. So all cars with the hardware to support EAP will have this feature. It’s that simple. We can put the conspiracy theories away now.

I agree with your read of Elon’s tweet. But didn’t he say the same thing about the existing dash cam that rolled out in Q4 which turned out to be AP 2.5 only? If just one camera requires 2.5 HW, why would enabling “Sentry Mode” work on 2.0?

I hope you are right though! I want this feature to work on my 2.0HW Model X!

I agree with your read of Elon’s tweet. But didn’t he say the same thing about the existing dash cam that rolled out in Q4 which turned out to be AP 2.5 only? If just one camera requires 2.5 HW, why would enabling “Sentry Mode” work on 2.0?

I hope you are right though! I want this feature to work on my 2.0HW Model X!

Just “feature coming soon” we all assumed the rest.

Although one could argue if he launches sentry on all AP2+ cars, his feature coming “soon” would still be true for all AP2+ cars. (By his standards and definition of soon)

Dashcam Feature Coming Soon