Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

360 dashcam?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that's a great point.

Question: Does the current dashcam stay on when the car is off?

Nope, but it does stay on while you're in the car listening to music without the car even being in drive.

My belief is Tesla can set the power management features of the HW2 computer however they want. So I don't think we should be assuming there are limitations on it in terms of when it gets power.

I also don't anticipate that simply recording video will take much power. But, I'm curious to see how they implement it. I'd love to see an implementation that only recorded when it detected movement around the vehicle.

Nope, but it does stay on while you're in the car listening to music without the car even being in drive.

My belief is Tesla can set the power management features of the HW2 computer however they want. So I don't think we should be assuming there are limitations on it in terms of when it gets power.

I also don't anticipate that simply recording video will take much power. But, I'm curious to see how they implement it. I'd love to see an implementation that only recorded when it detected movement around the vehicle.

Great idea, and yes...I believe recording video wouldn't be a very power intensive feature at all.

HOWEVER - I do believe that keeping 9 cameras running all of the time would be pretty power intensive.