Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

360 Degree Camera Aftermarket - Can it input to center screen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HTML:
Well, there goes that heh.

Apparently it is possible by using the existing input for the rear camera. My VIN is 2354...parking sensors were not available when my Model S was in production. Having a 360 degree view of the outside of my Tesla would be incredible and simplify parking in tight spots around my town. I will keep you all posted with the project!

Double check that. Our understanding is that the video input on the touchscreen is not a standard composite video, S-video or component video input, and that only the tesla camera will work with the touchscreen. Because of this limitation, the front camera image from artsci's camera switch (with is actually Tesla's rear camera) shows a reverse image.

BTW, if your car was built prior to August 1, 2013, the wiring harness for the parking sensors is already in the car and you can get the parking sensors retrofitted.

True,

The Tesla camera interacts with integrated electronics on the touch screen. You can plug another brand or type camera in (with a 4 pin compatible Fakra connector) to the touchscreen connectors and even if the pin outs are correct (good luck with that) I can promise you that the only thing you'll see on the touchscreen are the words "Camera Unavailable."

I hope you prove me wrong but the odds are very slim.

I've done some pretty thorough research on this system and talked to Max today at Al & Ed's. The complete system with installation costs about $3,000. The Rydeen360DVR hardware is about $650, and installation the rest. With four cameras to mount, wire, and set up, the installation has to be complicated, so I think this is a very fair price.

Given that I've already spent over $3,000 on repairs from parking incidents (not including rim rash), I see this as a preventive investment. The overhead view would be especially helpful in tight back-in parking situations, which I have to do twice a day. An added bonus of the overhead view would be real-time lane-change protection at speed, better even IMHO than lane change sensors. In fact being able to see the cars all around you at speed would be the closest we can pre-D owners can get to the new dash visuals on the D. Not AutoPllot for sure but good visuals of what's around you. As I'm sure this system will not work with the touchscreen (but wouldn't it be great if it could), I'm asking myself if a flip-down monitor on the roof or flip-up monitor on the dash might make a better display option that the rear view mirror.

Regrettably, Al & Ed's is 3,000 miles away. This will be a very good incentive to make the drive to California for the next TMC Connect:) Or to find a local installer.

Apparently it is possible by using the existing input for the rear camera. My VIN is 2354...parking sensors were not available when my Model S was in production. Having a 360 degree view of the outside of my Tesla would be incredible and simplify parking in tight spots around my town. I will keep you all posted with the project!

Have you had any success?

I'm having the Rydeen system installed right now. Next week I shouold receive a device with standard camera inputs but an LVDS output and Fakra connector that will connect directly to the touchscreen. It's not an HD output but there's a very long shot that it will work. A lower resolution touchscreen image of the the Rydeen overhead view will be fine with me.