Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

360 surround-view of the car (DRIVE PX 2 stitches camera images)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Related question: is there any way to tell if your wheels are straight, while parking, besides the old fashioned way of inching forward and turning the wheel until you think they’re straight? I’ve gotten used to the Leaf’s around view showing me my wheel alignment. I know I can put the Tesla in reverse and look at the two white lines, but unlike the Leaf, the lines don’t go bold when your wheels are true. Also, putting the car in reverse makes people think you’re leaving the spot.

• Funny
Reactions: scottf200
Related question: is there any way to tell if your wheels are straight, while parking, besides the old fashioned way of inching forward and turning the wheel until you think they’re straight? I’ve gotten used to the Leaf’s around view showing me my wheel alignment. I know I can put the Tesla in reverse and look at the two white lines, but unlike the Leaf, the lines don’t go bold when your wheels are true. Also, putting the car in reverse makes people think you’re leaving the spot.

Won't solve your wanting the lines turning bold, but if you press on the camera and then press on the cone icon thing, it'll show the backup-style screen. Don't 100% remember if the lines are there if you aren't backing up...

Cone icon thing? I’ll have to look for that.

Whenever you are below 10mph, it shows a traffic cone with rings radiating from it in the top left corner of the MCU. If you press it, it will present 2 screens -- the top being a reframed backup camera and the bottom being the ultrasonic sensor's readings imposed on a blown up avatar of your car. They vastly improved the ultrasonics after 2018.10.4 on AP2+ vehicles (they are, I believe, finally getting the added range for AP2+ vs. AP1 ultrasonic sensors). So now it sees curbs that are near your wheels (before as you approached a curb it would lose the signal).

I find it is quite useful and I have had no issues but my leaf was not an SL and didn't have the bird's eye view so I might just be blissfully ignorant (both sets of my wheels are rash free though and I park as close to the curb as I can to avoid being sideswiped on tight Chicago residential streets).

• Helpful
Reactions: fseir and chispas
Whenever you are below 10mph, it shows a traffic cone with rings radiating from it in the top left corner of the MCU. If you press it, it will present 2 screens -- the top being a reframed backup camera and the bottom being the ultrasonic sensor's readings imposed on a blown up avatar of your car. They vastly improved the ultrasonics after 2018.10.4 on AP2+ vehicles (they are, I believe, finally getting the added range for AP2+ vs. AP1 ultrasonic sensors). So now it sees curbs that are near your wheels (before as you approached a curb it would lose the signal).

I find it is quite useful and I have had no issues but my leaf was not an SL and didn't have the bird's eye view so I might just be blissfully ignorant (both sets of my wheels are rash free though and I park as close to the curb as I can to avoid being sideswiped on tight Chicago residential streets).
Good to know. Thanks. I’ll give it a try.

I’ve also been meaning to test the resolution of the ultrasonics. I have lots of irregular shaped things to the side and front of my car, in my garage, like bicycles, yard equipment, etc., and I’m wondering how large something has to be for it to resolve it on ultrasound. For example, can it see something as small as a bicycle handlebar? I’m guessing not, which always makes me a little nervous. There’s also a sign post in front of my parking spot at work, and I’m wondering if it detects the post, or if it’s just seeing the parking block on the ground. Would like to get as close to the post as possible, without, of course, running into it.

Good to know. Thanks. I’ll give it a try.

I’ve also been meaning to test the resolution of the ultrasonics. I have lots of irregular shaped things to the side and front of my car, in my garage, like bicycles, yard equipment, etc., and I’m wondering how large something has to be for it to resolve it on ultrasound. For example, can it see something as small as a bicycle handlebar? I’m guessing not, which always makes me a little nervous. There’s also a sign post in front of my parking spot at work, and I’m wondering if it detects the post, or if it’s just seeing the parking block on the ground. Would like to get as close to the post as possible, without, of course, running into it.

Good luck! I try not to experiment too much with those things because I know narrow objects are an issue but I haven't tested the improved resolution beyond larger solid objects. I love my car too much :D

EDIT: Now that I logged in with my computer, I see you have a model 3. I am unsure what the software/UI is with the Model 3 and the availability of the traffic icon. I do think the Model 3 pushed Tesla to finally unlock the extra range and resolution of the AP2 hardware, so I'm glad they finally delivered that. The system now displays the ultrasonic feedback as far as one lane over in a major interstate (full width shoulder). Its also displaying red lines much further away (about 1.5 feet vs. ~6" before). I'm not sure if that has migrated to the 3 yet, but I think 2018.10.5 was parity for Model 3 with 2018.10.4 for the rest of us.

Lol, was going to use a pool noodle, for starters, then move to smaller strips of cardboard, if it can see that.
Car sort of senses the pool noodle (had it standing up, directly in front of the car), but when you get to under a foot, it loses it. So if you ignore the early warnings, you could run into a pole. Didn’t bother checking smaller targets, since the pool noodle essentially failed.

Still prefer around view monitoring.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
Car sort of senses the pool noodle (had it standing up, directly in front of the car), but when you get to under a foot, it loses it. So if you ignore the early warnings, you could run into a pole. Didn’t bother checking smaller targets, since the pool noodle essentially failed.

Still prefer around view monitoring.

Get much under a foot and it'll lose anything, whether it be your pool noodle or a solid wall.

Just came across a very interesting implementation of 360/lookdown that Tesla could easily do with the current hardware.

It has weaknesses since parts of the image aren't live, but it's doable with current hardware and would be perfectly usable for the usual parking alignment purposes, especially if the ultrasonic sensors were linked in and superimposed...

This should be at the relevant part, but if not, it starts at 12:56 or so in the video. We don't get the Peugeot 3008 in the States, of course:

Just came across a very interesting implementation of 360/lookdown that Tesla could easily do with the current hardware.

It has weaknesses since parts of the image aren't live, but it's doable with current hardware and would be perfectly usable for the usual parking alignment purposes, especially if the ultrasonic sensors were linked in and superimposed...

This should be at the relevant part, but if not, it starts at 12:56 or so in the video. We don't get the Peugeot 3008 in the States, of course:

Good find! Somebody tweet this to Elon!

Reactions: scottf200
Would it work? The Tesla cameras don't point down much at the sides and front. Only the year camera can actually see the ground right next to the car.