Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

360 surround-view of the car (DRIVE PX 2 stitches camera images)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scottf200

Feb 3, 2013
Chicagoland
Has anyone at Tesla hinted at providing 360 surround-view (aka bird's eye) view of the car for things like parking backing out of garage, etc? The HW2 Nvidia board would appear to have features to help even. One use for all the cameras around the car unless I'm missing something (like they are not at the right angle of view)

Aside: With one hurt eye in an accident while driving my old Tesla, I sure would appreciate more help seeing all around the vehicle for safety reasons, ease of seeing in tight parking in public, or garages.

DRIVE PX 2 will also perform other critical functions such as stitching camera inputs to create a complete surround-view of the car.
Above via this article for one place: NVIDIA's Deep Learning Car Computer Selected by Volvo on Journey Toward a Crash-Free Future

It's been often said that there is no front camera to give you what's right in front of the car for a real 360/overhead view. And the cameras don't do 'color', they do GGGR (gray/gray/gray/red). No good answer to an often asked-for feature, and one answer is that for autonomous, it's not needed, as the car parks itself using ultrasonics. Yes, we know that's a ways off to be useful to everyone all the time.

I want it also, as video is a lot more useful than ultrasonics!

It's been often said that there is no front camera to give you what's right in front of the car for a real 360/overhead view. And the cameras don't do 'color', they do GGGR (gray/gray/gray/red). No good answer to an often asked-for feature, and one answer is that for autonomous, it's not needed, as the car parks itself using ultrasonics. Yes, we know that's a ways off to be useful to everyone all the time. I want it also, as video is a lot more useful than ultrasonics!
I appreciate the follow up and understand your point about there not being a front camera that essentially points down for that view. I guess the side cameras may not either. I have seen where other companies side cameras in are the side mirrors. Heck I would be satisfied with 270 degrees even because the sides and back are the hardest to see and judge.

I follow the GGGR comment (red being the most useful for stop lights, etc) but I wouldn't even care if it was black and white. A lot of 360 degree bird's eye views I've seen are B&W.

@scottf200

This partially simulated image (based on real side marker and B pillar camera images) I made illustrates the problem... something like this is in dev mode but...

ap2_blindspots-jpg.238093

Still, a partial birdseye view from front mirrors back in B&W would be possible...

It's been often said that there is no front camera to give you what's right in front of the car for a real 360/overhead view. And the cameras don't do 'color', they do GGGR (gray/gray/gray/red). No good answer to an often asked-for feature, and one answer is that for autonomous, it's not needed, as the car parks itself using ultrasonics. Yes, we know that's a ways off to be useful to everyone all the time.

I want it also, as video is a lot more useful than ultrasonics!

Just a few more comments, I think my picture in the previous post above speaks volumes already...

Yes, only the rear camera is in color, rest are GGGR.

Also, there is not just the lack of a nose camera to see what's in front of the bumper beneath the bonnet (not seen by the front fisheye on top of the windscreen), there is also the problem of B pillar cameras not seeing the front corners (and side marker cameras also of course not helping).

Normally 360 view cars have side cameras in the mirrors as well as nose and rear fisheyes that can cover all four sides. Tesla does not have cameras that can fully cover all four sides close to ther car.

So, a large dark area around the nose of the car then...

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
I miss the around-view camera I had in my Leaf all the time. Almost daily to be honest. I don't know if the S would be able to get as good of a view as the Leaf (or Bolt) gets, but I think it could stitch together something decent.
Considering all the promised features that still haven't been delivered, I'm not holding my breath for something they've never mentioned. :(

I miss the around-view camera I had in my Leaf all the time. Almost daily to be honest. I don't know if the S would be able to get as good of a view as the Leaf (or Bolt) gets, but I think it could stitch together something decent.

It should be able to do something like this at least, B/W back from the mirrors, like an old BMW - except since, unlike the BMW, Tesla does not views of the front corners it would perhaps have to be cropped away a bit lower on the top:

maxresdefault.jpg

a-guide-to-aftermarket-rearview-cameras-35125_1.jpg

It should be able to do something like this at least, B/W back from the mirrors, like an old BMW - except since, unlike the BMW, Tesla does not views of the front corners it would perhaps have to be cropped away a bit lower on the top:

maxresdefault.jpg

a-guide-to-aftermarket-rearview-cameras-35125_1.jpg
I had this and never used it... found the distortion too weird. The new systems are much better but I've never had a complaint about Tesla's execution of parking assist features.

Don't have an MX yet, but considering. The test drive was very revealing. Rear View Mirror, back seat headrest, sloping roof and very small rear window made driving and checking traffic very hard. Much worse than my current BMW X3. Tesla OA kept the rear view camera window up the whole time. This is more than an issue just parking.

Now you find out that the car with 8 cameras can't do what cars costing much less can do.

• Disagree
Reactions: Magus
Don't have an MX yet, but considering. The test drive was very revealing. Rear View Mirror, back seat headrest, sloping roof and very small rear window made driving and checking traffic very hard. Much worse than my current BMW X3. Tesla OA kept the rear view camera window up the whole time. This is more than an issue just parking.

Now you find out that the car with 8 cameras can't do what cars costing much less can do.

Yup, it's unfortunate but true. It also does things many others cars don't do so I live with it. I love my S, particularly TACC in my daily commute with *highly* variable speeds, but I miss my Leaf's around-view monitor a LOT some days. Hopefully they'll get there but considering how slow they seem to move with basic usability issues in the interface, I'm not holding my breath.

The guy doing our Model S drive did the same thing. Had the rear view camera up the entire time. When we mentioned how small the opening was out the back window he started touting how amazing the rear view camera was, and how a lot of people "kept it up all the time'. Personally, I can think of other higher priority things that I want on my screen when I'm driving down the road. But anyway...

He also wouldn't let us film the drive. Said it was "corporate policy", even though we'd done a test drive a couple of months ago at another location and it wasn't an issue.

Reactions: wraithnot