Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$377 for 1 tire replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the Tesla service center quoted me $377 to replace 1 tire including labor. I asked them if they offered warranty on road hazards and they said no!! For the price the we pay for this car, they should at least offer that!! This is crazy!
I did try to reach out to discount tire and they said I needed to order it and it won’t come until 3 days after. Discount tire quoted me for $352 including labor and the road hazard warranty.

Tire Rack has the Continental ProContact OEM 19" tire available for $271, with free shipping. There are less expensive options as well.

Seems like we've gotten a number of new members recently whose first post is a complaint. :rolleyes:

Another tip is to buy Discount Tire certificates (warranties) on your existing tires. Back in 2016, my Model S had a slow leak on delivery and I paid $250 for a replacement tire from Tesla since it wasn't repairable. Three weeks later, I had another slow leak and took it to Discount Tire instead. Without even looking at my tires, they offered to sell me certificates for road damage on my existing tires. I paid something like $30 per tire. They then pulled my car in and found another unrepairable leak. They offered to immediately order a replacement tire for free since it was covered by the certificates they had just sold me.

A few days later, I went to Tesla for another issue while waiting for the free replacement tire to be shipped to Discount Tire. Tesla said it was repairable and fixed it for free so I cancelled the new tire from Discount Tire and put another 30,000 miles on it with no problems before selling the car.

Reactions: mark95476
The first thing I did when I took delivery of the MY was to take those OEM wheels and tires off (using them as winter/spare set). They are unnecessarily expensive and hard to find (due to them being "foamed") if replacements are needed. As long as the tires have the same/better load rating, there is no problem with riding on conventional tires. I find great close-out deals on Tire Rack all the time to which I stock up on as well. For example, I just bought a set of 20" Bridgestone performance tires for $627, delivered to my door. When the time comes, I will pay a local tuning shop $125 for mounting and road force balance.

Last edited:
Tire Rack has the Continental ProContact OEM 19" tire available for $271, with free shipping. There are less expensive options as well.

Seems like we've gotten a number of new members recently whose first post is a complaint. :rolleyes:

probably this is their first “luxury” car and not prepared for the sticker shock of maintenance on a luxury car....

the Tesla service center quoted me $377 to replace 1 tire including labor. I asked them if they offered warranty on road hazards and they said no!! For the price the we pay for this car, they should at least offer that!! This is crazy!
I did try to reach out to discount tire and they said I needed to order it and it won’t come until 3 days after. Discount tire quoted me for $352 including labor and the road hazard warranty.
FYI I don't think any manufacturer offers a tire warranty on a new vehicle. You will only get this warranty when you replace them. It's odd that the tire manufacturer doesn't warranty a new vehicle but will do it when you replace them.

Tesla's price isn't too bad considering the tire itself, assuming you have the 19" Continental ProContact RX, is around $275-300. Labor to mount and balance is probably $35-40. Service center prices will typically be higher than going through a 3rd party shop.

Auto manufacturers DO NOT warrant OEM tires on a new car. The moment you drive off the dealer lot, the TIRE manufacturer warrants the tire. It's been that way for decades.

Tires from Discount Tire, Firestone, Costco, etc. always have a manufacturer's warranty against defect. The warranty you buy from the seller is in addition to the tire manufacturer warranty.

Another tip is to buy Discount Tire certificates (warranties) on your existing tires. Back in 2016, my Model S had a slow leak on delivery and I paid $250 for a replacement tire from Tesla since it wasn't repairable. Three weeks later, I had another slow leak and took it to Discount Tire instead. Without even looking at my tires, they offered to sell me certificates for road damage on my existing tires. I paid something like $30 per tire. They then pulled my car in and found another unrepairable leak. They offered to immediately order a replacement tire for free since it was covered by the certificates they had just sold me.

A few days later, I went to Tesla for another issue while waiting for the free replacement tire to be shipped to Discount Tire. Tesla said it was repairable and fixed it for free so I cancelled the new tire from Discount Tire and put another 30,000 miles on it with no problems before selling the car.
Do they(Discount Tire) issue these certificates for stock tires?

Yes. The certificates I bought were to cover the tires that were on the car when it was delivered by Tesla.
I'm not sure exactly how these DT warranties work, but will assume that DT, who wants to service your car, will act as your advocate with the tire manufacturer if you have an issue that could be a warranty claim. You could contact the tire manufacturer yourself, but having DT do this simplifies the process, and probably increases your odds of successful warranty coverage.

I bought the certs from America's Tire and it's a replacement warranty. You roll-up with a problem and they replace it and only charge you for another cert for that replaced tire. Excellent peace of mind and highly recommended.

You're not involved in anything they do with the manufacturer.

I'm not sure exactly how these DT warranties work, but will assume that DT, who wants to service your car, will act as your advocate with the tire manufacturer if you have an issue that could be a warranty claim. You could contact the tire manufacturer yourself, but having DT do this simplifies the process, and probably increases your odds of successful warranty coverage.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker