Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

39 kW solar + 5 Powerwalls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How would an installation of 39 kW of solar + 5 Powerwalls proceed? In the Powerwall manual, it mentions that up to 10 Powerwall's can be installed on only 1 Gateway! The manual recommends a 400A panel with a 200A main breaker that has solar+Powerwalls. So my question is, would this 400A panel contain 5 30A breakers for the Powerwalls and the breakers necessary for the 39 kW of solar? Or will this system have to be split between 2 Gateways? I'm a little confused because the total backfeed for solar+Powerwall exceeds the 200A rating of the Gateway.

I think @h2ofun has a 39 kW solar & 5x Powerwall setup so he's probably got a lot of insights for you. To my knowledge he has 400A service, but they just split his home into two 200A backed up environments. One has 3x PWs and the other 2x PWs. He also has a generator on one of these.

I feel like is @h2ofun's burner account posting... then @h2ofun is going to jump in and remind us how cool his solar system is.

Upvote 0
How would an installation of 39 kW of solar + 5 Powerwalls proceed? In the Powerwall manual, it mentions that up to 10 Powerwall's can be installed on only 1 Gateway! The manual recommends a 400A panel with a 200A main breaker that has solar+Powerwalls. So my question is, would this 400A panel contain 5 30A breakers for the Powerwalls and the breakers necessary for the 39 kW of solar? Or will this system have to be split between 2 Gateways? I'm a little confused because the total backfeed for solar+Powerwall exceeds the 200A rating of the Gateway.
Either of the 2 options you mentioned would be workable.

The TEG has Power Control System certification and this ensures that no more than 200A combined PV+PW flows through the TEG. The PV is not controlled unless it is a Tesla Inverter, but the Powerwalls are always controlled.

Upvote 0
I think @h2ofun has a 39 kW solar & 5x Powerwall setup so he's probably got a lot of insights for you. To my knowledge he has 400A service, but they just split his home into two 200A backed up environments. One has 3x PWs and the other 2x PWs. He also has a generator on one of these.

I feel like is @h2ofun's burner account posting... then @h2ofun is going to jump in and remind us how cool his solar system is.
I have 90 panels, about 30kw. I have 400 amp service, driving 2 200 amp breakers in to sub panels for full house.
I have a gw per panel, one 3 batteries, another 2. Starting tomorrow, 2 more batteries being added for 7 if all goes well.

Upvote 0
@h2ofun you have always told people you are better off spending the money on more solar, why the change? i was starting to think you regretted buying powerwalls. are TOU in your favor, or did you finally put some value in surviving?
sorry i'm a bit dyslectic and read your statement above as "am i buying"... could have been referrals, or you bought referral powerwalls second hand.

Upvote 0
@h2ofun you have always told people you are better off spending the money on more solar, why the change? i was starting to think you regretted buying powerwalls. are TOU in your favor, or did you finally put some value in surviving?
sorry i'm a bit dyslectic and read your statement above as "am i buying"... could have been referrals, or you bought referral powerwalls second hand.
I have not changed my opinion. Buy the most solar one can get approved and installed.
If you have money to burn, to me buying powerwalls or an EV are in the same boat, :)

I am buying seems pretty straight forward, just like if I said I was buying solar. :)

Upvote 0