Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$39k Used Model 3's on Tesla Website

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because they paid more than they are offering now on those cars, so there is a glut of them that they need to sell at higher pricing (if they can). They wont keep perpetuating that cycle (they are in business NOT to overpay for vehicles).

Brand new model 3s (RWD) are 46,990 + destination. Used cars selling for more than that is silly (although it did happen for a fairly short period of time). They likely wont sell those cars they have now for 45-50k, so are likely going to get burned on those.
I get that. My configuration is $49,490 new. I guess the wheels and color premium don’t really keep any kind of value.

I get that. My configuration is $49,490 new. I guess the wheels and color premium don’t really keep any kind of value.

Not really, no, not for tesla or any other manufacturer, with some exceptions that do not generally include mass market vehicles, of which this is definitely one.

Right now there are some 2019 Performance Models with 29k miles for $53K.
FWIW, here is some pricing history on my 2019 M3P. Black, white interior, no FSD, 5,700 miles. Car was $60,990 - $3,750 tax credit.

January 2021 - the highest trade-in offer I could get was $42,500. FSD would only net me $500-$1000 on all the offers. IMO, the depreciation was pretty bad on this trim level.
July - 2021 - the supply chain shortages started to take hold and suddenly Carmax offered $48k, so I took it not knowing at the time how long this would last. If I would have held out a bit longer I could have got in the low $50k range on trade.

IMO, the M3P depreciates a bit more since there is not enough differentiation between the LR to justify the price increase. However, our 2019 SR+ is worth about what we paid for it 3 years later. I know inflation has taken hold but it is really hard to stomach having to pay like $10k+ more for a new SR+. I think I would need to see some sort of meaningful refresh to justify the spend.

Reactions: tm1v2
FWIW, here is some pricing history on my 2019 M3P. Black, white interior, no FSD, 5,700 miles. Car was $60,990 - $3,750 tax credit.

January 2021 - the highest trade-in offer I could get was $42,500. FSD would only net me $500-$1000 on all the offers. IMO, the depreciation was pretty bad on this trim level.
July - 2021 - the supply chain shortages started to take hold and suddenly Carmax offered $48k, so I took it not knowing at the time how long this would last. If I would have held out a bit longer I could have got in the low $50k range on trade.

IMO, the M3P depreciates a bit more since there is not enough differentiation between the LR to justify the price increase. However, our 2019 SR+ is worth about what we paid for it 3 years later. I know inflation has taken hold but it is really hard to stomach having to pay like $10k+ more for a new SR+. I think I would need to see some sort of meaningful refresh to justify the spend.
I agree with you. I had a similar experience but a good one. Got my M3SR+ Sept 2021 for $39k. Mid Nov 2021, I sold it for $49.5 to GMTV.
Between Sept to Nov, I subscribed to FSD, got into the Beta program and was able to experience it.
Upgraded to the M3LR and got it on Dec 28,2021. It had 4 miles upon pickup. Now I have about 13k miles. Didn’t get FSD or the subscription.

Really in the X market, but your point is well taken. What's the best alert site?
Honestly, I was not in the market for a new vehicle. I was just looking to see what the delivery was (on tesla.com) and was shocked to see the lowest priced one at $36,400. I immediately called my buddy at Tesla to see if they would remove the FSD and give me a discount of $15K 😂😂😂😂.
He said nope. Lol.

• Funny
Reactions: vickh
Still don’t get how my ‘21 isn’t worth more than $39-40k locally when dealers who do have them for sale are asking $45-50k for older higher mileage SR+ or even just SR. We still have a supply chain issue and a chip shortage going on. Yes I agree the Fed isn’t helping right now.
So along with not understanding the recession we are in, you also do not understand supply/demand?

I don’t know how else anyone can say it. Your car is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. No more, no less. If you can get someone to pay $40K in this market, you should take it and run.

As far as 3rd party dealers listing them for $50K, are they still sitting on the lot? Well you have your answer there too.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
So along with not understanding the recession we are in, you also do not understand supply/demand?

I don’t know how else anyone can say it. Your car is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. No more, no less. If you can get someone to pay $40K in this market, you should take it and run.

As far as 3rd party dealers listing them for $50K, are they still sitting on the lot? Well you have your answer there too.
Yep, transitions are tough. esp w/ buyers and sellers. See housing market which will be the 1st victim of high interest rates.

The new 3 RWD has a larger battery and it’s LFP based and has AMD chip with 15V. It’s heavier and accelerates worse though. I’d say those upgrades might be worth $5K.

Still don’t get how my ‘21 isn’t worth more than $39-40k locally when dealers who do have them for sale are asking $45-50k for older higher mileage SR+ or even just SR. We still have a supply chain issue and a chip shortage going on. Yes I agree the Fed isn’t helping right now.

Those cars aren’t selling and probably sitting on the lot for 60-120 days at least. Dealers used to be able to escape losing money by sending to auction but auction prices are in the toilet. Let dealers keep asking for the moon and bleed floor carry costs. A bunch of used car dealerships will fold in this recession.

Those cars aren’t selling and probably sitting on the lot for 60-120 days at least. Dealers used to be able to escape losing money by sending to auction but auction prices are in the toilet. Let dealers keep asking for the moon and bleed floor carry costs. A bunch of used car dealerships will fold in this recession.

yep. that's what i'm seeing with most used places. Buyers strike though so not many transactions happening

it's hard when you get a taste of high prices, similar to me with my house. I'm not selling below my top, and don't have carry costs anymore, so I wait..

I think there are two factors: the used car market is normalizing a little bit, but mainly, people in the market for an EV know that a tax rebate is right around the corner. I think come January we'll see the prices stabilize under whatever new understanding we have for what the effective cost of a new tesla is post-tax credit. You can point to broader economic factors, but the KBB value for my model 3 SR+ went down by 6 grand over the last week. I'd be very surprised if you were seeing drops that sudden for ICE cars.

Higher interest rates, a likely recession approaching, a potential tax rebate in January that could impact net cost, gas prices not being *AS* high as they were, and the fact that new inventory is catching up to demand are likely all factors leading to a drop in used Tesla prices IMO. We may not go back to the days of cars losing 20% as soon as you drive them off the lot, but keeping a car for 2 years and selling it for more than you bought it for was probably just an aberration. Used vehicles from Tesla seem like a great value right now, especially if you want FSD and appreciate the extra piece of mind that an extended warranty provides.

isn't it just a year now compared to 4 b/f?
It’s a year plus 10k miles in addition to whatever is remaining on the factory warranty. It basically makes it a 5 year 60k mile warranty from your in service date.

I drive 5-6k miles a year so an extra 10k miles of warranty will last me a while plus at least I knew that Tesla inspected the car before selling it to me.

• Informative
FSD Capable= +10K right?
Nope. FSD is included in the $35k pricing. Click on view details and you will see where it says “included”.

Attachments

• 019262F5-0D49-45AF-A97F-EF24E4F97C65.jpeg
    019262F5-0D49-45AF-A97F-EF24E4F97C65.jpeg
    192 KB · Views: 51
  • Informative
It’s a year plus 10k miles in addition to whatever is remaining on the factory warranty. It basically makes it a 5 year 60k mile warranty from your in service date.

I drive 5-6k miles a year so an extra 10k miles of warranty will last me a while plus at least I knew that Tesla inspected the car before selling it to me.

hmm so late models are better, but the 2018 3s would have only a year+10K miles right?

Reactions: GeoG
hmm so late models are better, but the 2018 3s would have only a year+10K miles right?
If the initial factory warranty has expired before your purchase (due to time or mileage) my understating is that you’ll get 1 year and 10k miles from your purchase date. Newer cars with lower miles will get you more warranty but you’ll at least get that minimum coverage with a used Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh and GeoG