TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

3D mapping - GM SuperCruise and Tesla AutoPilot (8.0/8.1)

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by scottf200, Sep 12, 2016.

1. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

Interesting comparison of GM (vs customers) doing 3D mapping of the environment compared to the new Tesla AutoPilot in version 8.0/8.1. See underlines.
    Quote via: GM takes time on self-driving Super Cruise system to get it right
    Blog post: Upgrading Autopilot: Seeing the World in Radar
    Press transcript 1 of 4: Transcript: Elon Musk’s press conference about Tesla Autopilot under v8.0 update [Part 1][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]

• Informative x 1
  2. techmaven

techmaven Active Member

That's really interesting. And limiting. What happens with changes?

3. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

Interesting. The CT6 doesn't have LIDAR, right? I wonder how it will use the LIDAR generated map?

So far I'm thinking the Tesla approach is superior - more data in much less time, at lower cost, and more obvious immediate use for it.

4. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

It appears the Cadillac CT6 will just have a camera and radar and use preloaded 3-D maps. Comments below indicate the Mobileye camera based crowdsourced map for "changes on a route".

Below via: GM Reveals More About Supercruise | TheDetroitBureau.com