Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3D Maxpider Kagu Universal Cargo Mat (cut-to-fit)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SMAlset

Mar 4, 2017
SF Bay Area
Seeing how rainy season will be here soon and how I've seen people's videos where they opened their trunk while it was raining and the rain sometimes poured into their trunk area, I wanted a solution for something in the cargo area that was waterproof. I'm very partial to 3D Maxpider's Kagu floor mats (no odor), but they don't have a custom solution available yet (supposedly in the works but who knows when...it took a long time just to get the floor mats to the marketplace after the car was released). So I ended up ordering the 3D Maxpider Universal Cargo mat from Part Catalog since they were in-stock. U-Ace said it was the same Kagu material used in the floor mats but a thinner material and was still flexible and could be cut with scissors to customize. I ordered it in gray since I didn't care for the molded pattern on the black version I saw on PC's site; but to each his own.

We trimmed the mat down today and thought I would show photos of it should anyone opt for this waterproof cargo solution and want to save time figuring out where to cut. The Kagu foam material cuts easily with scissors so no other special tools needed. With the exception of trimming off a small piece from the side "panels" on each side near the trunk opening (indicated in photos), we followed the molded recessed lines when cutting. The cargo area is not symmetrical due to the charge port and little recessed cubby section on the left.

For better protection from water intrusion we trimmed around and turned up the very front "row" nearest the trunk opening. As a result it now fits snuggly against the body with the exception of where the pull tab is for the lower trunk compartment (see photos). The cargo floor section nearest the seats is not flat, but instead has raised floor edges closest the car body and then it dips down quite a bit in the middle. Makes for a less than ideal surface for a mat at that point, but we decided to extend the mat sides out at the very back and kept the 4 rows along the back seat edge just for more mat area coverage. As you can see, the mat does not fit all the way to the seats. If you start with what we did, you can always modify and cut more off should you decide to shorten the depth of the mat and take off the back sides.

Wish this mat style had been available in black in this pattern (think Costco Canada still sells them in black) but the gray does compliment the black interior of the car and actually makes it easier to see if anything has spilled. Will post photos below in thread shortly. BTW the mat ran me $60.

As trimmed:
IMG_9244.JPG

Edge trim at front trunk edge:
IMG_9239.JPG

IMG_9240.JPG