Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3D model

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is ok in some ways, but side profile is waaay off. Compare to this for example.. Model 3 Dimensions

The wheels should be so much closer to each other. It seems there is plenty of work done to make it decent in other areas, why leave it looking so weird from the side? I know nothing about making these so have to be that some other car is taken as a base and making the wheels on the actual places would have been too much work?

It is ok in some ways, but side profile is waaay off. Compare to this for example.. Model 3 Dimensions

I actually like the 3D model better than that profile pic. Especially how the wheels are closer to the front/rear of the car. Of course there's more to engineering a car than working up a shell in a 3D program.

Screen Shot 2016-05-13 at 8.58.51 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-05-13 at 8.55.28 AM.png
View attachment 176396

Good comparison of model verses reality. The 3D model looked weird, but it wasn't until that comparison that I realized how off it is. (I'm not intending to denigrate the modeler here, just honest feedback.)

The real car looks MUCH better.

It is ok in some ways, but side profile is waaay off.

Yeah, seeing it side by side it's definitely off. I found it via this article, which has the following quote from Mike Pan:
“The model is recreated entirely from the few number of photos and launch video. This was done before the MotorTrend exclusive, so there are some inaccuracies. Took me about 2 weeks.”

The 3D view works well in the View Master VR.
IMG_0327.jpg

Yeah, seeing it side by side it's definitely off. I found it via this article, which has the following quote from Mike Pan:

The 3D view works well in the View Master VR.
View attachment 176398

The Tesla side photo of the 3 from the press kit (which has been speculated to be just a rendering) appears to have shorter front and back overhangs than the actual Model 3 photo from the Motor Trend article posted above. Although the 3D Model has even shorter overhangs.

agree completely. looks much sportier with the wheels further apart. not sure how it would affect storage capacity.

the slope towards the back seems better on the 3D model too for some reason.

I actually like the 3D model better than that profile pic. Especially how the wheels are closer to the front/rear of the car. Of course there's more to engineering a car than working up a shell in a 3D program.

View attachment 176397View attachment 176394 View attachment 176396

The Tesla side photo of the 3 from the press kit (which has been speculated to be just a rendering) appears to have shorter front and back overhangs than the actual Model 3 photo from the Motor Trend article posted above. Although the 3D Model has even shorter overhangs.
"Appears" being the key word. The press kit photo (or render) below has wider perspective hence the front and rear of the car are not as visible as with the MT photo taken with a long focal length lens. (I know you get this.) In the MT photo above, the rear license plate bracket is visible as are the front portions of the grill(less) area.
tesla-model-3-8.png

Reactions: eisbock
I like the wheels closer to the front/rear of the car. It makes it more sportier looking with less beak hanging off the front like the demo model.

The thing is, in real life you don't notice the longer overhangs. It looks more like the press shop photo because you are looking at it close up (the Motor Trend picture was taken from a distance with a long lens). The same type of photo of a Model S looks way more elongated than it generally feels in real life:

How it looks with a long lens:

tesla-model-s-raod-test-003.jpg

How it tends to look in real life:

IMG_1184.jpg

"Appears" being the key word. The press kit photo (or render) below has wider perspective hence the front and rear of the car are not as visible as with the MT photo taken with a long focal length lens. (I know you get this.) In the MT photo above, the rear license plate bracket is visible as are the front portions of the grill(less) area.
tesla-model-3-8.png
Interesting. Another reason why there's really no way to tell what the dimensions are simply from photos.