Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3D printed lowering links

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These are new Normal measurements.

fender height in front is approx 28 3/4" (maybe 1/8 more)
fender height in rear is approx 29 (maybe bit less at 28 7/8)
In other words, it's pretty close to 28 7/8" all the way around the car.
At this setting, how far is battery off the ground?

battery tray rail height is shockingly level at 4 3/4" at both ends of car, front and back
measured clearance from ground to "rail", using my zippo tape measure which is 1.5" height itself.

Scott, great job on the lowering links. Are you running BMW wheels on your Model S?:cool:

img_8296_low-small-jpg.199772

These wheels are my winter set, Replika 141 wheels from a Canadian supplier 1010tires, rubber is Xice3.

I have a set of Tesla "T" logos in vinyl to put on the plain chrome caps.

I chose these wheels because they are very similar looking to stock 19"... maybe they were designed for BMW looks. But I'm very happy with their durability and looks after the first winter season, now going into their second.

More in the LOW setting:
IMG_8301_LOW (Small).JPG
IMG_8305_LOW (Small).JPG
IMG_8303_LOW (Small).JPG
IMG_8300_LOW (Small).JPG

Last edited:
Pop quiz!? : What's the lowest point of the chassis??

Answer: The little rubber flaps ahead of the front tires. The bottoms of these flaps ride a scant 2.5" off the ground.

Concern? Not really, anything they hit your tire is about to (and will) run over!! Budhump...

The wheel are my winter set, these are Replika 141 wheels from a Canadian supplier 1010tires, rubber is Xice3.

I chose these wheels because they are very similar looking to stock 19"... maybe they were designed for BMW looks.
But I'm very happy with their durability and looks after the first winter season, now going into their second.

Yes, your wheels are similar to the original BMW design for the 6-series. I have a set of forged M6 wheels on my Model S
Just waiting for lowering springs to be available for the dual motor cars ... gotta have the right stance :cool:

upload_2016-10-23_10-25-44.png

IMG_4726.JPG

IMG_4727.JPG

@FlatSix911 seems you're getting quite a nice sneak peek at what your fixed suspension car will look like once lowered... same color of car as me, and similar style rims... The original BMW M6 rims (or are they Replika replicas ?) do look stronger where spokes meet rim. But so far, mine haven't fallen apart there :p and probably cost a fair penny less!

@FlatSix911 seems you're getting quite a nice sneak peek at what your fixed suspension car will look like once lowered... same color of car as me, and similar style rims...

The original BMW M6 rims (or are they Replika replicas ?) do look stronger where spokes meet rim.
But so far, mine haven't fallen apart there :p and probably cost a fair penny less!

Thanks for the sneak peak with the lower stance on a Midnight Silver S. :cool:
The M6 wheels are OEM forged and reduce weight by 10 lbs. per corner ... with increased range and better handling.

• Informative
Reactions: Terra117
Im trying to print your links from thingiverse but they dont seem to be scaled correctly. If I load them with no modifications theyre way small, if I multiply them by 25.4 theyre way huge. Any ideas?

Scale factor 10..

sorry I should have mentioned that, or fixed the scale before uploading...

but if you multiply in every dimension x10 they will be 1:1 proper fit

Thanks @scottm! Printed your fixed length lowering links and installed them this past weekend. I used 58mm for front and 78mm for rear. Now my Low setting is where the wheel well sits just above the wheel. I don't drive on Low; I use it only for show. I drive on Standard now and have my settings so that the car never lowers automatically. The Standard setting is still lower than what my Low was stock.

Here are a couple shots on Low...

IMG_5702.JPG
IMG_5701.JPG

You're welcome!!

So you chose the maximum slammed lengths +8mm all around, good on you... did you bother with the end-caps on the rear links?

Car looks great! These links are probably the most economical upgrade you've done to that car... Artfully done photos too, just wow.

Maybe tell us what the battery height (clearance) is off the ground with this link length selection? Measure from the bottom of the "rail" that runs down the sides to the ground.

Reactions: benjiejr
You're welcome!!

So you chose the maximum slammed lengths +8mm all around, good on you... did you bother with the end-caps on the rear links?

Car looks great! These links are probably the most economical upgrade you've done to that car... Artfully done photos too, just wow.

Maybe tell us what the battery height (clearance) is off the ground with this link length selection? Measure from the bottom of the "rail" that runs down the sides to the ground.

I didn't use the end caps on the rear. They seem to lock in pretty well as-is.

If I measured correctly the height from the ground to the battery is about 4.5" front and back (level). Did I measure that correctly?

You can see how I measured battery rail height off the ground, upthread.

I didn't measure to the battery flat slab metal... I measured to the bottom of the "rails" that run down the outside edges of the battery cage. These rails go the length of the car under the side rocker panels ...

These are what hit first when going over a speedbump!

Imagine rolling a ball in under the car, from the side... what's the first thing the ball would touch? How big a ball would "just clear" or "just touch" at that point? ...that's what I'm calling the "battery height" of the car.

Really, it's "rail height" I should be calling it that.

Reactions: benjiejr
perfect, thanks! I was trying to decide if the published range of different lengths on thingiverse are sufficient... I think 58/78 is as low as practical seeing this on your car.

but let me ask you this @benjiejr would you want to go lower ?? Considering they're fixed links it would mean having to pop them off to change back and forth if you wanted a "demo height" and a "daily driver" height...

I think longer than 58/78 means you'd probably want to move to adjustable links, and the kind you don't have to pull off the car

perfect, thanks! I was trying to decide if the published range of different lengths on thingiverse are sufficient... I think 58/78 is as low as practical seeing this on your car.

but let me ask you this @benjiejr would you want to go lower ?? Considering they're fixed links it would mean having to pop them off to change back and forth if you wanted a "demo height" and a "daily driver" height...

I think longer than 58/78 means you'd probably want to move to adjustable links, and the kind you don't have to pull off the car

Yeah, I agree, I think your range is just about right. I don't think I'd want to go any lower for a "daily driver" because you'd just chew your tires up. As it is, you can see the negative camber even on Standard and the stock suspension can not be adjusted any more to compensate for it according to my Tesla ranger and the recent alignment we did. In addition, IMHO replacing the fixed length links is not a simple/quick enough process that you'd want to do it very often.

Has anyone tried the 3D Printed links on their Model X? I have a Lulzbot Mini here at my office (which tons of fun materials, from NinjaFlex to Nylon to PLA to ABS). And I pick up my CPO 75D Model X on Saturday with air suspension. I've done lowering links before on an 85D Model S but those were metal ones bought. Tempted to try these on the X....