TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

3d printed piece for Model 3 Wireless Charger

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by natetrop, Sep 26, 2019.

1. natetrop

natetrop Member

Not sure if anyone else had an issue but when I got the wireless charger for the Model 3, my phone would slide off when ever we hit a bump or accelerated quickly. I designed a quick little shelf/clamp to help keep the phone from sliding off, it is about 4mm tall and flat instead of rounded. If you have a 3d printer, you can find the piece here. Tesla Model 3 Wireless Charger Shelf by nato2k

[​IMG]

• Like x 2
  2. 640k

640k Member

some of the wireless charging mats allow your phone to still charge in the horizontal position. what about just a divider that goes down the center?

3. Nogasmn

Nogasmn Member

What does it look like with the cover in front of closed? While functional I am pretty sure there are other solutions that look better. However good job.

4. natetrop

natetrop Member

You can't see it at all with the cover down. My wife never would have let it slide otherwise.

[​IMG]

5. voip-ninja

voip-ninja Give me some sugar baby

I've had the Nomad charger in my car since it came out about a year ago and I've never had a problem with my phone sliding around that would necessitate something like this.

Considering my lifetime 260kwh/m energy consumption you can also be assured I don't drive the car like there's an egg between my foot and the accelerator.

6. natetrop

natetrop Member

I should note this is for the official Tesla charger

7. 640k

640k Member

great, now i have a visual of an egg on the floor.

8. mreynolds767

mreynolds767 Member

Have the Tesla one and my phone never budges.
    I do though have a problem with it.

I switched to a thicker / more protective case as I dropped my phone and developed a little crack in the screen.
    Inside this thicker case the wireless charging does not work unless I remove the bottom shelf attachment.
    Worked perfectly with my previous case.
    Major bummer for me. Only thing I can think of is to file down the lip of the shelf attachment.

9. Nogasmn

Nogasmn Member

That is a great solution! What wireless charger do you have and what phone?

10. natetrop

natetrop Member

Iphone 10 and the official Tesla wireless charger.
    Model 3 Wireless Phone Charger

11. natetrop

natetrop Member

After some review I figured out that my wife installed it without the proper bar at the bottom which explains why I needed the 3d printer parts in the first place. Disregard...

12. mreynolds767

mreynolds767 Member

I was wondering about that.
    Yes, the official Tesla one comes with a new shelf, one removes the existing car shelf and installs the new one with the charger.

My problem is the new shelf/bar does not open wide enough at the top for a thicker phone case (sandwich style like LifeProof or OtterBox)