Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3D-printed rear seat shoulder belt guides

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was thinking some external hook device like the rear seat belt holder would work, but actually looking at the B pillar and seatbelt adjustment mechanism, just being able to stop the pivot of the belt rotating forward would do the trick. Perhaps some kind of plug that doesn’t restrict free movement of the belt. First pic is the pivot pulled towards the rear of car, no digging into neck in this position. Second is how the belt pilots towards the front when left alone, this is what causes the belt to move forward and dig into my neck.

Attachments

• 601C30B1-BD4E-4A24-BC9C-9D7D6855D2AF.jpeg
    601C30B1-BD4E-4A24-BC9C-9D7D6855D2AF.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 187
  • 24216EEB-C3FD-4431-8C19-1A3D8B55C469.jpeg
    24216EEB-C3FD-4431-8C19-1A3D8B55C469.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 129
Took me a second to understand what it was doing! Does it work for your Y issue? How might you improve upon it if you printed something?
I don't really need to use one, my wife uses one as she is shorter. I have seen them made out of leather, plastic and metal. I don't see how I could improve on the basic design. Altering the B pillar might not help because it depends where you have your seat adjusted.

Just got the Amazon clip thing and it works great. Clipping closest to the buckle/female end is just enough to pull the shoulder strap away from my neck. Put on once and leave it. The flat black one looks inconspicuous. Thanks for the tip!

Last edited:
Reactions: leenanj
Just a safety note, I'd consider printing this in TPU, not PLA.

Why? Well for 1, PLA will start deforming at high temperatures, so if you don't have cabin overheat on all-the-time, it's going to get mangled.

2. If you've ever broken PLA you know how shardy it can get. That makes me really nervous about having a piece of plastic at neck level that will likely break into very sharp shards in the rare event of an accident. It's incredibly unlikely, but not non-zero.

TPU would at least deform and not break apart, nor break apart into sharp pieces, and it won't deform in heat as easily as PLA.

• Informative
Reactions: Skavatar and Ts91
Thanks for the great STL file! Got 2 sets printed at the local library for $2.25. I also like the styling of this version over the commercially (etsy) available ones.

Solves two problems:
1. Eliminates the rattling sound against the plastic sides (I've complained about this before in the forum long ago)
2. Helps passengers (kids in carpools!) that are not familiar with tesla...with them trying to "hunt" for the missing belt

Attachments

• 20230125_154733.jpg
    20230125_154733.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 113
  • 20230125_154052.jpg
    20230125_154052.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 115
Reactions: Skavatar
Bringing back and older thread.

Can someone explain what seat belt rattle may occur and why these fix it?

It looks like they simply raise the belt off the top of the seat?
In my case after someone sat behind, the seatbelt usually retracts with the buckle facing backwards making plastic against plastic contact. 100% annoying rattle. This fixes that issue.
Other fix is many time people with some mobility issue find it hard to reach behind the seat to grab the belt. This fixed that issue too

Reactions: Mike_TV