Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3D Printed Rigid Hatch Stops (to reduce uneven road noise)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

I made a thing. After reading some posts on the Ear Pain/Pressure Thread

and the conclusion by some (including @MY-Y) that if the hatch stops are rigid, it reduces flex of the hatch, it also reduces low frequency boominess/buffeting, I tried to come up with a simple design that can be 3D printed.

This should just slip onto the existing hatch stops stopping just short of the actual rubber stops (you'd want to configure the proper adjustments first using the envelope trick).

So basically any further pressure downwards on the hatch from bumps or uneven roads will be lessened as it will hit the plastic bumper sooner.

I've uploaded it to Thingiverse, as well it's on Tinkercad as well.

You'll need to select the best fit for the depth of your rubber stop (the depth protruding from the plastic piece). Mine were around 7.5mm to 9mm (left and right side were not even after calibration of the hatch stops). The fit is quite tight, but I'd say perfect, it may vary slightly depending on your printer. I'd print with 0.4mm nozzles as that is what I designed it in mind with. I used PLA, but you may want to use PETG if you live in a hot climate.

Ideally, you'd want the rigid hatch stop to just stop slightly short of the rubber stop, since it will compress a little bit. It should not extend past the rubber stop.

This is a convenient and simple solution to reducing road noise. And maybe worthwhile even if you think you can't hear low-frequency booming sounds on uneven roads.

20211103_141050.jpg

ScreenClip [3].png

Cool design. I made a similar set out of PETG, but closed off the end like the PVC @MY-Y made.
I’m going to print off a set of yours and give it a go. I like the idea of having some rubber protruding better for other potential NVH issues.

Initially, I had made it closed off as well, but if I left it open I could see where the stopper sits, and as well provide some minute vibration dampening possibly and friction if there is any movement up/down/side-to-side.

Reactions: MattM24
Hey guys,

and the conclusion by some (including @MY-Y) that if the hatch stops are rigid, it reduces flex of the hatch, it also reduces low frequency boominess/buffeting, I tried to come up with a simple design that can be 3D printed.

This should just slip onto the existing hatch stops stopping just short of the actual rubber stops (you'd want to configure the proper adjustments first using the envelope trick).

So basically any further pressure downwards on the hatch from bumps or uneven roads will be lessened as it will hit the plastic bumper sooner.

You'll need to select the best fit for the depth of your rubber stop (the depth protruding from the plastic piece). Mine were around 7.5mm to 9mm (left and right side were not even after calibration of the hatch stops). The fit is quite tight, but I'd say perfect, it may vary slightly depending on your printer. I'd print with 0.4mm nozzles as that is what I designed it in mind with. I used PLA, but you may want to use PETG if you live in a hot climate.

Ideally, you'd want the rigid hatch stop to just stop slightly short of the rubber stop, since it will compress a little bit. It should not extend past the rubber stop.

This is a convenient and simple solution to reducing road noise. And maybe worthwhile even if you think you can't hear low-frequency booming sounds on uneven roads.

View attachment 729253
View attachment 729255
Can I pay you to build some for me?

Reactions: CDrury and zpaul
Yeah good idea. It's worth a shot. I wasn't sure if it being rigid on all stoppers would be a good idea in terms of latch closing but maybe it'll help also.

I'll take a look at it too on Monday.
There’s not much room in there. The bumper is 22.1mm in diameter and I managed to fit a 1.6mm thick wall. It was tough to get on, needed lubricant. I made them 17mm long, but they could be longer. It managed to cut the side to side movement by half, so we’ll see if it does anything. Unfortunately, I also put on my winter wheels today, so my data point is skewed.
It’s such a tight spot, it might need a metal support to last. Time will tell.

To those that have printed one what was the outcome? Was the boominess gone? Did you print every single one of them?

Any reviews is appreciated. Thank you.
I believe they helped. I just printed the longest one 10mm and ground it down to about 9mm.
I didn’t measure the sound before and after though. It’s worth printing and trying, if you have access to a 3D printer.

Attachments

• 091EED49-49EF-4609-8288-C97228396C46.jpeg
    091EED49-49EF-4609-8288-C97228396C46.jpeg
    938.3 KB · Views: 691
There’s not much room in there. The bumper is 22.1mm in diameter and I managed to fit a 1.6mm thick wall. It was tough to get on, needed lubricant. I made them 17mm long, but they could be longer. It managed to cut the side to side movement by half, so we’ll see if it does anything. Unfortunately, I also put on my winter wheels today, so my data point is skewed.
It’s such a tight spot, it might need a metal support to last. Time will tell.

I believe they helped. I just printed the longest one 10mm and ground it down to about 9mm.
I didn’t measure the sound before and after though. It’s worth printing and trying, if you have access to a 3D printer.

Do you have the file for the lower mount? Before uploading, could you make it a little longer? Thank you.

Sorry, I don’t have the file (not my computer), but I think you might be better off just getting a 1” OD 16ga aluminum tube and cutting it to length. It would be much stronger than a thin piece of plastic.

I'm thinking of not only sliding inside but also extending outwards and matching the curvature of the door around this area for a bigger surface area. I'll try to come up something this week.

Hey guys,

View attachment 729253
View attachment 729255
This is all very interesting and the 3D printing is impressive! I'm scheduled to get my Y in December...is this "booming" issue still happening with newer Y's?