Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3D Printed Rigid Hatch Stops (to reduce uneven road noise)

Made them out of PETG. They look good. Thanks for uploading the files for everyone!

I’m going to make a support for the lower mounts next since they have none.
Did you print all of them in the file or just one of the designs above in the file? If so which one did you print?

If I'm not up for investing $300 for a 3d printer/supplies, I might remove the plastic nut on the bump stop and put a 3/4'' pvc pipe instead.

Did you print all of them in the file or just one of the designs above in the file? If so which one did you print?

If I'm not up for investing $300 for a 3d printer/supplies, I might remove the plastic nut on the bump stop and put a 3/4'' pvc pipe instead.
I just printed the 10mm one. There are 3D print shops out there that could print it for you. Not sure what they charge.

The rubber bumper is closer to 7/8” than to 3/4”, so if you go with PVC, you’ll need to drill it out.

FYI OP: I went to the link and it gave me a 404 error at thingiverse.

So far I took a 3/4'' pvc cap and took a dremel to bore it out, just the flare nut part was able to fit (think of a big plastic nut). It rests on the plastic stop holder on the hatch, with everything turned down, the stopper doesn't protrude enough through the hole on the flare so I'm thinking I could further reduce it by extending the rubber past the hole in the plastic nut or using the 3d printed ones. I do notice an improvement.

For the 10mm, did you turn your rubber stops all the way down before putting it on?

Next project is to put a pvc pipe over the plastic stop holder, kind of like making one with pvc rather than buying a printer as I feel not everyone will want to go through all this.

Last edited:

So far I took a 3/4'' pvc cap and took a dremel to bore it out, just the flare nut part was able to fit (think of a big plastic nut). It rests on the plastic stop holder on the hatch, with everything turned down, the stopper doesn't protrude enough through the hole on the flare so I'm thinking I could further reduce it by extending the rubber past the hole in the plastic nut or using the 3d printed ones. I do notice an improvement.

For the 10mm, did you turn your rubber stops all the way down before putting it on?

Next project is to put a pvc pipe over the plastic stop holder, kind of like making one with pvc rather than buying a printer as I feel not everyone will want to go through all this.
I set all the bumpers so they would hold a piece of paper. I ground about 1mm off the end of the 10mm printed piece.

I had the same 404 issue with trying to download all the files at once, but didn’t have an issue downloading them one by one.

Let us know how the PVC goes.

Link works for me. But Thingiverse is a buggy website.

I adjusted all my stoppers with the envelope/paper method BEFORE adding this. The varying sizes correspond with the depth of the calibrated stopper.

Definitely not a project to GET a 3d printer for. This is if you already have one or access to one. I could send you some but I'm in Canada so not sure how long it would take to reach you.

Definitely not a project to GET a 3d printer for. This is if you already have one or access to one. I could send you some but I'm in Canada so not sure how long it would take to reach you.
eh, depends on the person... I bought a 3d printer to print shelf supports for my shed, now I have 5 printers 😭
Also, you can get a decent printer for <=$200 these days, esp. with sales going on this month. If someone was already looking at them and needed the push, I say go for it.

I wish these can be offered to purchase for those who dont have access to a 3d printer.

I would say, go through a reputable service, if you don't have a 3d printer, to have said item printed.

Craftcloud - https://craftcloud3d.com/
Shapeways - 3D Printing Service | Shapeways
Sculpteo - Sculpteo | Online 3D Printing Service for your 3D designs
Polar Cloud - Polar Cloud
Treatstock - Treatstock
Print-a-Thing - Custom 3D Printing Service from Print a Thing
i.makerialise - Online 3D Printing Service | i.materialise

There are probably a dozen more.

This is all very interesting and the 3D printing is impressive! I'm scheduled to get my Y in December...is this "booming" issue still happening with newer Y's?
My delivery was in September, so probably. Not all of it has to do with the hatch though. This problem seems to be systemic to EVs and rear-mounted motors.
There’s not much room in there. The bumper is 22.1mm in diameter and I managed to fit a 1.6mm thick wall. It was tough to get on, needed lubricant. I made them 17mm long, but they could be longer. It managed to cut the side to side movement by half, so we’ll see if it does anything. Unfortunately, I also put on my winter wheels today, so my data point is skewed.
It’s such a tight spot, it might need a metal support to last. Time will tell.

I believe they helped. I just printed the longest one 10mm and ground it down to about 9mm.
I didn’t measure the sound before and after though. It’s worth printing and trying, if you have access to a 3D printer.

I tried this, it's a tricky area, this spot, as you figured out. It's not quite straight I don't think. But this is what I came up with. I haven't driven with it, but I don't know if I'll discernibly be able to tell a difference. Maybe it's better than nothing. Tinkercad link

qwDcDDW.png
jikmWgr.png

@ilovecoffee thanks for turning this road noise business into science by making the stl files available :) I have honestly got used to the uneven road noise by now (owner since Sept 2020), but I am really curious how much this would help. Vancouver's road can be very bad! Going to start with the outer stoppers first.

I plan to get them printed at my local library and I am new to 3d printing. If you don't mind me asking -- how much infill % would you recommend? I am thinking 50 or 60% infill, but I am unsure if that's ideal. (Material cost / printing time is not an issue.) Thanks!

PS: Library uses 0.25mm nozzles, and PLA.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnny Vector
@ilovecoffee thanks for turning this road noise business into science by making the stl files available :) I have honestly got used to the uneven road noise by now (owner since Sept 2020), but I am really curious how much this would help. Vancouver's road can be very bad! Going to start with the outer stoppers first.

I plan to get them printed at my local library and I am new to 3d printing. If you don't mind me asking -- how much infill % would you recommend? I am thinking 50 or 60% infill, but I am unsure if that's ideal. (Material cost / printing time is not an issue.) Thanks!

PS: Library uses 0.25mm nozzles, and PLA.
I printed mine entirely out of shells, so it’s solid.
The software I use, I just put in a high number of shells and 100% fill. Any layer size you can print will be fine.

My delivery was in September, so probably. Not all of it has to do with the hatch though. This problem seems to be systemic to EVs and rear-mounted motors.

I tried this, it's a tricky area, this spot, as you figured out. It's not quite straight I don't think. But this is what I came up with. I haven't driven with it, but I don't know if I'll discernibly be able to tell a difference. Maybe it's better than nothing. Tinkercad link

qwDcDDW.png
jikmWgr.png
How did it work out? I’m happy with my results.

Reactions: Innervate
I printed mine entirely out of shells, so it’s solid.
The software I use, I just put in a high number of shells and 100% fill. Any layer size you can print will be fine.

How did it work out? I’m happy with my results.

I am left feeling the lower stoppers are best to be left alone (without rigid plastic) for easier tweaking and adjustment. I think most of the weight of the hatch is on the upper stops, and most effected by road bumps. I don't think the lower rigid stops made any difference.

I think with these and after I get my unplugged performance comfort springs (hopefully in January or February) I'll be set in terms of cabin comfort! I should also add I have one of those Amazon cargo covers as well solely for the purpose of noise attenuation.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC