Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3D printed UMC wall mount

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know others have done this before, but I wanted to create my own version of a 3D printable wall mount for my UMC.
If someone wants to print it too, all the files are available on thingiverse.

IMG_20151213_155519.jpg

IMG_20151213_161926.jpg

IMG_20151213_161743.jpg

(as opposed to horizontal so the screws can both hit a joist).

Stud. Joists are horizontal (floor, ceiling, foundation). Studs are the vertical ones (inside walls) where you'd mount this to.

Having said that - I agree with it needing 2 holes. That's what prevented me from just throwing it on an SD card and starting a print of it right away. Well, that, and the printer is currently loaded with a Christmassy green filament :).

Some minor feedback: I note there's just one screw hole. I wonder if this would make the bracket rotate (thus scuffing the wall over time). You might consider 2 holes placed vertically (as opposed to horizontal so the screws can both hit a joist).

I agree with it needing 2 holes. That's what prevented me from just throwing it on an SD card and starting a print of it right away.

I made only one hole because I didn't want to drill two holes into my concrete wall. :redface:
But you're right, if I apply enough force I can rotate it. Because of this and "due to popular demand" :-D, I just added a two-hole version.

2-holes.jpg

Any ideas of a good way to hold the charging connector itself? The Tesla one leaves a lot to be desired. I would think a magnet would be a great improvement.

There's this on thingiverse, but I never tried it.

Looks nice. I don't have a 3D printer of my own. Is there a site that you can recommend (Shapeways, Sculpteo, etc.) where we could order it.
I never tried any of these, but shapeways seems to be quite popular.

Last edited:
Reactions: Superendo
Which 3d printer do you have? I've started looking into purchasing my own. Thx

I have an Ultimaker Original (yeap, it's made of ply wood :biggrin:). It comes as a kit with all the parts and you have to build it yourself. Today I would probably buy an Ultimaker 2. It's newer, comes pre-built and is made of aluminum and acrylic glass.
A good thing about Ultimaker is that they have a very active community and you'll always get help in their forum.

Which 3d printer do you have? I've started looking into purchasing my own. Thx

I have a Lulzbot TAZ 5. I owned 2 other printers before (Airwolf 3D and Prusa Mendel), and played with a Makerbot for a bit.

Of course there are better printers, but in the ~$2000 range the Lulzbot is far better than the others I've seen.

I've just printed out 36 of these in a row on my Lulzbot - they're relatively big, heavy objects that take about 5 hours to print each. It did so flawlessly and is a real workhorse:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1132706

The Lulzbot bed is simply amazing. No acetone preparation required, you just start printing. And when the objects are done printing and the bed cool off, they're loose on the bed. I don't mean they're easy to pry off - I mean they're literally loose. You pick it up as if its lying on a desk. And yet, during the print it sticks enough that there are no warped corners.

I don't regret at all having started with a DIY printer where I assembled every part myself - you learn a lot that way. But when you actually want work done, the Lulzbot is in a different class.

- - - Updated - - -

Today I would probably buy an Ultimaker 2

Also looked at the Ultimaker 2. Was a close second contender for me. To me the differences that made me go with the Lulzbot is:

a) Greater print footprint of the Lulzbot (298x275x250) vs. Ultimaker 2 (223x223x205)
b) Lulzbot is U.S. made and supported (obviously 'znib' rightfully so has the opposite argument about Ultimaker).
c) The Lulzbot hardware is open source. In fact you can build a TAZ5 yourself without paying any money to Lulzbot if you really want - but more importantly, this means you can service every part of it yourself, and upgrade it when new types of materials arrive. Given how quickly this field is developing, this gives you a tiny bit more headroom.
d) The Lulzbot has a print head option that's specifically made for printing with NinjaFlex (think rubber). Though some people have had success printing with NinjaFlex on the Ultimaker, other people complained about the bowden tube.

Check with your local library, my does free 3d printing if you bring them the files. I'm going to have one printed tomorrow. Thanks for the work on the design
Or google if there's a fab lab in your city. They are probably a lot cheaper than shapeways, etc.

Btw, I'd love to see your prints, so post pics if you can! I still find it fascinating that I design something on my PC and then it materializes on different places all over the world. Crazy world. :D

You can now get this printed directly from thingiverse.
Just go to Tesla UMC wall mount by znib and click the "Order This Printed" button on the right:
upload_2016-12-4_18-37-32.png

You probably only want either the version with two mounting holes or the one with only one, so don't forget to unselect the version you don't want on the next page:
upload_2016-12-4_18-39-21.png

It seems to be cheaper than ordering from shapeways.com, but I never tried myself, so let me know about your results if you do.

Last edited: