TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

3G connection in the USA

Discussion in 'Canada' started by nightau, Dec 27, 2013.

1. nightau

nightau Member

Hi all, can anyone confirm if the car's 3G connection works in the States? Will it be "roaming" but still connected? I'm planning a road trip and would like to know before I go.

Thanks so much!

2. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

I had a car that I sold, and it was transported to Canada. It was not able to connect to the ATT network in Canada. When 5.8 firmware was released, Tesla called me many times concerned that this car that I no longer owned was not getting the 5,8 update. After many calls, Tesla enabled this car to receive 5.8 by enabeling it to receive in Canada.

My best guess is that your Canadian car will not be able to be connected while in the US, unless Tesla enables it to the US network. Hope this helps!

3. 772

772 Member

I've seen reports from Canadian owners on the TM forum that they did get their 3G to work in the US. Let me see if I can find them... if only there was some kind of search function over there :tongue:

OK, here you go:

http://www.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/first-road-trip-canadano-3g

http://www.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/driving-across-uscanadian-border

4. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

From what I understand, Canadian cars are on an AT&T plan and are actually roaming while in Canada! Given that it is hardly surprising that there have been multiple reports that they work just fine in the USA.

Yes American cars' 3G doesn't work in Canada. They probably don't want to pay the roaming fee...

5. Steph_S

Steph_S CAN #312 VIN P06173

I can confirm that I took my Canadian Model S to the USA and the connection switched over seamlessly.

6. nightau

nightau Member

Thank you so much guys! I was concerned because my DS told me our connection is provided by Rogers here in BC. I never would've thought that we are actually roaming from at&t!

7. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

The connection is Rogers because when roaming on AT&T, Rogers is their partner, just like when you go to the States with a Rogers phone, it roams on AT&T.

8. RainmakerJL

RainmakerJL Member

Has anyone confirmed driving to canada from usa and that the 3g doesnt work?

9. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Yes, it has been confirmed many times. Also see Post #2 above.

10. RainmakerJL

RainmakerJL Member

Thanks. When in doubt... Read again..