TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

3G Connection

Discussion in 'Hong Kong' started by KR1005, Apr 10, 2015.

1. KR1005

KR1005 Member

For those who's fade up with the slow 3G connection, especially when streaming music from Rdio. They can try connecting a pocket wi-fi. I connected my pocket wi-fi and works perfectly with instant streaming. I have it connect to the cigarette 12v socket and it comes on automatically when the car is on and the unit goes into sleep mode when the car is off. Now I don't have the buffering problem with 3G. I don't have the navigation 6.2 yet but I'm sure this will help the navigation streaming too.

Hope this is helpful.

IMG_20150411_121446.jpg

2. telegogo

telegogo Member

Can we simply share the wifi with the mobile phone 4G network?

3. KR1005

KR1005 Member

You can use your mobile phone to share the 4G, but having a pocket wifi in the car will give you instant access to 4G wifi without playing with the phone settings. My pocket wifi has a data only package with Smartone with unlimited data too.

4. jsiu

jsiu Member

When I had my test drive in Mar 2015, the owner adviser told me that the mobile connection in Model S was 3G. I am intending to use my Tesla for say a period of over 8 years. With the advancement of telecom technology, 3G will gradually be replaced by 4G or even 5G in the coming years. Has the designer of Tesla taken this into account?

5. 3fiftynine

3fiftynine Member

The 3G SIM is free for 4 years only, after that you'll have to use wifi hotspot or mobile router.

6. jsiu

jsiu Member

Thanks for reply. In other words, after 4 years, I can simply use my 4G smartphone as a mobile router.