TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

3G Connectivity in Australia?

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by marchino, Apr 7, 2015.

1. marchino

marchino Member

Hi, I'm living in Perth and very likely to buy a Model S after my test drive in Sydney next week.

I was just wondering how the 3G/4G connectivity in the car is paid for. I'm assuming this is needed for navigation and for Internet radio..who chooses the provider and how is it financed? Is it data-only or voice as well?

I hope I haven't erred by asking something that's already been well covered here.

2. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ

I understand that the first 4 years of 3G data come with the purchase of the car and is through Telstra, so the coverage is pretty good.
    There are rumours only that a hardware upgrade my be available to 4G but that is not confirmed yet.

3. Auzie

Auzie Tree Hugger Member

Tesla Model S car to be connected by the Telstra Mobile Network